Tennis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEW YORK, July 23 AAP-AP - Former champion Lleyton Hewitt will go into next month's US Open as fifth seed but there will be no defending champion Pete Sampras to contend with. Sampras officially withdrew from the Open when the seedings were announced today, becoming the first US Open men's singles champion not to defend his title since 1970 winner Ken Rosewall.

The American has not played a professional tournament since winning his fifth US Open last year, and record 14th Grand Slam singles title, and he said last weekend that "there's a good chance" he will officially retire soon. Andre Agassi, a two-time US Open champion and beaten finalist last year, is the top seed as the world's top-ranked player.

Former world No.1 Hewitt's fifth seeding for the tournament he won in 2001 reflects his fall in the rankings this year.
The Australian is seeded behind 33-year-old Agassi, French Open champion Juan Carlos Ferrero, Wimbledon champion Roger Federer and Carlos Moya.
Andy Roddick, 20, is the sixth seed, having reached his first Grand Slam semifinal this year at the Australian Open and then also made it to the Wimbledon semifinals.

The Open, to be held from August 25 to September 7, will feature 99 of the top 100 ranked men's payers.
The women's seedings will be announced tomorrow.


how can that be? sampras withdrew and tommy Hass is still injured isnt it the top 98 not 99 unless Haas is better???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
172,291 Posts
what seedings :lol: :haha:

all these articles spout the same BS
its the entry positions on the acceptance list
seedings won't be done until after Cincinatti

Haas was on the entry list when it came out
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
172,291 Posts
Haas has said he won't be back till next yr
so no
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
AP has corrected their seeding story:

Correction: U.S. Open Seedings story


July 24, 2003
NEW YORK (AP) -- In a July 23 story about the U.S. Open tennis tournament, The Associated Press erroneously reported that seedings were set, and listed Andre Agassi as No. 1, followed by Juan Carlos Ferrero, Roger Federer, Carlos Moya, Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick in that order.

The July 23 announcement was limited to the men's entry list, and the numbers reflected player rankings. Seedings will be announced the week before play begins Aug. 25.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top