1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Odds-wise, only Xiyu is favourite. Yuan and Xun's matches are pretty much 50/50, wit Murray and Fourlis very marginal faves, Xinyu's is pretty close as well, so on that basis, I'll got for either 2 or 3, but go with 3.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Xinyu and Xiyu will make the finals of the Australian Open and pull a historic all qualifier AO final and make it the best quality final of tennis in AO history.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
So it's 1 of 5 through so far, just Xiyu, which went with the betting odds. You put up a very good fight against Bouchard, despite being a 5/1 outsider, but Han (1-6 2-6), F Liu (2-6 0-6), and J Lu (1-6 0-6) manged only 6 games between them.

Without being sterotypical, because it definitely doesn't apply to all, there's no doubt many are overranked due to the insane amount of W25-100 events that China puts on throughout the year, where in a lot of cases, the W60 fields are weaker than a lot of W25s elsewhere.

There'll be more chance tomorrow as Xinyu, Yuan and Xun all have reasonable chances, so may get one or two through there, but judging by her results over the last 6 or 7 months, I think Ma will do well to avoid a similar score to those at the top of the post.

·
Registered
51,827 Posts
Without being sterotypical, because it definitely doesn't apply to all, there's no doubt many are overranked due to the insane amount of W25-100 events that China puts on throughout the year, where in a lot of cases, the W60 fields are weaker than a lot of W25s elsewhere.
True

Bouchard beat this Chinese girl despite 54 UEs ...

·
Registered
19,197 Posts
I put some money on Wang Xinyu at $1.90 to win vs Falconi. She just got across the line.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Great for XinYu to pull that out, as she's had too many close calls where she's just missed out.
Hopefully it'll make her relax and just do her stuff.
Interesting match-up against the Osito "Jamón" Serrano next, but the real danger is R3: Samsonova.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Great for XinYu to pull that out, as she's had too many close calls where she's just missed out.
Hopefully it'll make her relax and just do her stuff.
Interesting match-up against the Osito "Jamón" Serrano next, but the real danger is R3: Samsonova.
Yep, it was a good win. I actually did a 'Katie Boulter', and thought she lost when Falconi went 8-6 up in the deciding set TB, complettely forgetting about the super tie break / not sure it applied to quallies, especially with the lack of commentary on the Eurosport Player.

Oh, and you're getting your X Wang's mixed up. It's Xiyu vs Serrano, to potentially play Samsonova in the FQR. Xinyu has Allie Kiick next, and the winner of that might play Kalinskaya in the FQR, but Anna hasn't even played her Q1 match yet, so will have a bit of catching up to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts