Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i recently posted on WTT:
i kinda think it was a good thing for the sport, if it could be re-incorporated. and not even to use the results as official wta events. but to have teams, for players to work together, men & women, and coaching each other, and the electric vibe of the crowd and the drunk announcers...it just brings a whole larger more human dimension to the sport. (well, to the sport's calendar)... and to have it televised with the multi-color courts...

i know a lot of folks around here dont love BJK and i certainly dont wish chris had played them instead of the french opens as she did, but if placed in the right area of the calendar year, and with fan-money going to players to validate their participation (since thats all that motivated players today), it would be....a lot of fun. PLUS, goolagong AND wade both separately mentioned (during different years of the witc broadcasts) that those team tennis events had improved their game and made them more focused!

and now the tennis channel is gracing us with a host of WTT programs! today is the 1977 WTT Seaport v San Diego and on the 12th is 1977 Kansas City vs. NY Sportimes!! i'm thinking either post-us open (when the old WITC classics were played in the calendar year) or after the aussie open and before the spring clay series is played as another time to re-introduce an all new WTT season. (?)

while there is a current version of WTT (with navratilova, agassi, kournikova), i am thinking top current players (and the multi-colored courts!!). imagine the williams' on opposing teams, the belgiums on opposing teams, the argentinians on opposing teams! bring everybody together with a new concept of alliances! we need it.

anyway, its great that they're showing them, whether it reintroduces an iinterest in it or not.

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
daze11 said:
and now the tennis channel is gracing us with a host of WTT programs! today is the 1977 WTT Seaport v San Diego and on the 12th is 1977 Kansas City vs. NY Sportimes!! i'm thinking either post-us open (when the old WITC classics were played in the calendar year) or after the aussie open and before the spring clay series is played as another time to re-introduce an all new WTT season. (?)

while there is a current version of WTT (with navratilova, agassi, kournikova), i am thinking top current players (and the multi-colored courts!!). imagine the williams' on opposing teams, the belgiums on opposing teams, the argentinians on opposing teams! bring everybody together with a new concept of alliances! we need it.

anyway, its great that they're showing them, whether it reintroduces an iinterest in it or not.
Fantastic Daze. More trades in the pipeline! I have quite a few WTT matches but would be very keen on seeing more. :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tennisvideos said:
Fantastic Daze. More trades in the pipeline! I have quite a few WTT matches but would be very keen on seeing more. :)
hey TV, this one was with rod laver and was amazing just for that. betty stove was having a great wtt series in '77, at least up to the point of this broadcast, and she was also playing (with joanne russell)....but not as star-studded as i would have hoped. Laver did look great, though. ;)

and what can i say, i LOVE the court!! :lol: also, the recording is about an hour and a half without commercials, so its a good chunk of footage!

·
Registered
500 Posts
daze11 said:
hey TV, this one was with rod laver and was amazing just for that. betty stove was having a great wtt series in '77, at least up to the point of this broadcast, and she was also playing (with joanne russell)....but not as star-studded as i would have hoped. Laver did look great, though. ;)

and what can i say, i LOVE the court!! :lol: also, the recording is about an hour and a half without commercials, so its a good chunk of footage!

Where have you been? :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've been under quite a heavy load of travaille. (et merde...) :lol: but i'm tryin' to make a comeback. oh lord, i feel like tracy austin.

·
4,464 Posts
daze11 said:

Sounds good to me ... Laver & Stove. Was Kerry Reid playing?

I think King & Wade may be in the New York match on the 12th. :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tennisvideos said:
Sounds good to me ... Laver & Stove. Was Kerry Reid playing?

I think King & Wade may be in the New York match on the 12th. :)
oo! thats good to hear, i love them especially during that era. wade actually beat chris in more games than chris beat wade that year in WTT, and she was the only one to do that. (i know you already know, but for others' sake)

yes, kerry reid was indeed on one side of the net in the first broadcast. :) she didnt show the ladies' singles though, if she played that....just the doubles.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Last night I watched a little bit of the Laver/Gorman match. The one thing that just jumped out at me was the color of the court they were playing on. It was soooo 70s :lol: Blue, brown and some sort of red or whatever. How in the heck did they call lines on that ugly thing?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RoanHJ said:
Last night I watched a little bit of the Laver/Gorman match. The one thing that just jumped out at me was the color of the court they were playing on. It was soooo 70s :lol: Blue, brown and some sort of red or whatever. How in the heck did they call lines on that ugly thing?
they would say, "it landed right on the color change" or "just past the color change"...i love that.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More World Team Tennis...

July 20 (7 am) 1976 WTT - Ashe/Evert vs. Casals/Nastase
July 27 (11 pm) 1976 WTT - Racquets vs. Gators

·
4,464 Posts
Hi Daze

I think Evert played for the Racquets in 76 and Durr/Stove/McMillan/Okker played for the Gators. I hope they show some of Frankie Durr it that show. :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tennisvideos said:
Hi Daze

I think Evert played for the Racquets in 76 and Durr/Stove/McMillan/Okker played for the Gators. I hope they show some of Frankie Durr it that show. :)
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: i was hoping that was the line-up!! :hearts: i am very happy...

its a 2 hour broadcast so i would be surprised if we dont see some durr in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts