Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Getting to be the McFail of the ITFs. Since the start of last year Robson has losses to:

- Q1 Auckland, l. Tereza Martincova 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(8) (led 4-1 in the third set, had 4 MPs)
- R1 Istanbul 60K, l. Basak Eraydin 6-4, 4-6, 7-6(8) (led 4-1 in the third set)
- R1 Landisville 25K, l. Jessica Pegula 7-6(7), 6-3 (had 3 SPs in the first set)
- R1 Suzhou 60K, l. Riko Sawayanagi 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
- R2 Shenzhen 100K, l. Zhao 6-1, 4-6, 7-5 (led 5-1 in the third set)
- QF Toyota 60K, l. Jia-Jing Lu 6-1, 6-7(3), 6-4 (led 4-2 in the third set)
- R1 Burnie 60K, l. Jennifer Elie 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(10) (led 5-1 in the deciding TB, had 2 MPs)

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
At least she lost to one of the nicest girls on tour.

Jen :cheer: After two close thre set losses against good players like Friedsam and Hibino she finally capitalizes on much needed points.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Laura played great shots to save all Jen's match points except the last one. She also played rubbish on her own match points. Low confidence and whiny attitude in this one.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
What the heck is wrong with Laura? Surely there's a lot of mental issues at the moment. She can surely still have flashes of her former top 40 self. Please get a hypnotherapist or a life coach or something.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If only Laura had the will to train and get in shape. The day she's willing to hire someone like Alex Stober to get her ass to the gym she'll be a top 10 player.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
At least she lost to one of the nicest girls on tour.

Jen :cheer: After two close thre set losses against good players like Friedsam and Hibino she finally capitalizes on much needed points.

Elie has been around forever. I remember noticing her as far back as 2004, at a 25K in the Birmingham area... she has slowly but continuously improved over the years, and this is a big win for her.

·
Registered
24,940 Posts
I was in Melbourne watching Keys play her first round match, and after it ended, I walked past a woman with a face so completely covered in makeup and fake eyelashes, that I had to do a double take, as even among spectators, that is not something you often see on the outer courts of a tennis tournament. It was Laura Robson looking nothing like a professional athlete.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
I can't imagine Laura floating around out the top 200 for years and being happy to be less than a journeywoman. I wonder if she'll maybe give up at some point if she can't get her issues (mental, fitness or whatever else) sorted out?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
If only Laura had the will to train and get in shape. The day she's willing to hire someone like Alex Stober to get her ass to the gym she'll be a top 10 player.
She needs the mental coach that sorted out Konta.
JoKo was doing exactly the same before she broke through, blowing massive leads and unable to close out matches.

It might be different (either more/less difficult) for Laura since she has already beaten big names on big stages.

The problem with her shape I think is mainly stemming from a lack of matches because she keeps losing early due to her mental game.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I know Jennifer personally, used to hit with her when she was a child decades ago. I'm so happy to see her doing so well on tour. She's a late bloomer but a very hard worker.

·
Registered
21,412 Posts
Robson was a top 50 player even at her best.

Totally overhyped on here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts