Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, with the biggest news of the tournament happening today, World #1 Hewitt going down in the 3rd Rd, I wonder if NBC will show any of it tomorrow? Even the 5th set like they showed with Costa?

It would also be nice to see the remaining set of Guga/Gasto since that looks like it's been pretty exciting so far. Will Gasto win the next three sets to win in 5?

Slated tomorrow, however, are of course Agassi, Serena and Lindsay.

I can't really call any of the men's matches tomorrow interesting, because two of the four matches feature players who have never met and/or players no one has ever heard of. Instead, I'll call it "Upset Central" since they do feature players you'd automatically think should be in the Quarters, but may not make it. Anyway, this is the only way these matches will keep my interest...

Verkerk v. Scheuttler
Although Rainer is seeded and Verkerk is not, I believe expectations are that Verkerk should be the guy to beat due to his fantastic stats this year...
Why Rainer will upset Verkerk
Verkerk is his doubles partner and Rainer knows his game. Verkerk is playing his first RG, and will undoubtably be very nervous. Plus Rainer wants duplicate or better his RUP performance at the Aussie.
Why Verkerk will win
Has been the quiet "dark horse" of the tournament and just may silently move into the Quarters. People won't begin to question who he is until the Semis. Plus, Ranier has never been this far at Roland Garros and has overextended his time on the red clay.

Saretta v. Agassi
I only heard of Saretta's game today when Mary Carillo on NBC mentioned him as having tremendous talent and a slight build (sounds like Guga to me!)
Why Saretta will Upset
If his game is anything like Guga's, then he will be dangerous, especially if Agassi underestimates him. (Just look at Hewitt v. Robredo, who also had never met before).
Why Agassi will win
Because he's Agassi.

Novak v. Moya
These two have a silent rivalry and although you automatically expect Moya to win, Novak's won their last three meetings.

H2H: Novak leads 4:3
1995-11-06 Buenos Aires Clay SF Carlos Moya (ESP) 7-5 6-3
1997-02-10 Dubai Hardcourt R32 Jiri Novak (CZE) 2-6 6-0 7-5
1997-03-10 Indian Wells Hardcourt R32 Carlos Moya (ESP) 6-4 6-2
1997-08-11 Indianapolis Hardcourt QF Carlos Moya (ESP) 6-3 7-5
1997-10-13 Ostrava Indoor Carpet R16 Jiri Novak (CZE) 6-4 6-4
2002-10-14 Madrid Indoor Hardcourt R16 Jiri Novak (CZE) 6-7(2) 6-4 7-5
2003-05-19 World Team Cup Clay RR Jiri Novak (CZE) 4-6 7-6(5) 6-2
Jiri Novak (CZE) leads 4:3

Why Jiri will upset
He's won their last three meetings, including two weeks ago in World Team Clup action on clay:eek: Plus, Moya has not been past the 4th Rd. since he won it all in 1998. Jiri wants to repeat or better his SF performance at the Aussie this year.

Why Moya will win
Moya is hungry to get back that French Open crown and has been singular in NOT letting upsets happen to him early in the tournament. Jiri is playing his best Roland Garros, and has overextended his time on the red clay.

Coria v. Zabaleta
Coria has never lost to Zabaleta and he's won of the favorites to win the whole tournament.
Why Zabaleta will upset
Coria may come in overconfident that he is the better Argentine, thus going down in 4 sets.
Why Coria will win
Because he's Coria and shown to be a NBNH (New Ball, Non-Headcase).

Well, what do you know? These matches may prove to be interesting after all!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts