Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Also look out for Denisa Allertova, 32-1 on the year on the ITF. Just broke into the Top 200-- basically now where Smitkova was before Wimbledon!

Also, Kat Siniakova (18, #134 after Wimbledon) and her BFF Barbs Krejcikova (18, #272).

Late bloomer due to injury, Kat Vankova (#240) also is in the mix.

We aren't even talking about the juniors-- Marketa Vondrousova and Marie Bouzkova...
Allertova is coming? :bolt:

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
This all applies to British players too...:eek::bolt:
Today, I randomly came across this Guardian article, which provides some answers on why Britain is underperforming in tennis given its wealth, facilities and population:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/26/wimbledon-2014-heather-watson-spoilt-players

Despite having the greatest tournament in the world, some think that there's probably a shortage of tennis culture at club level in the UK and that players are too spoilt. This opinion has been backed by Heather Watson (more in the article).

IMO, the article is actually quite interesting and thread-worthy and might ignite an interesting debate, but I don't want to be seen as a basher of British tennis. It should be started by a Briton :)

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Great for Czech tennis ! :bounce:
Rucolo, I got your message ;)

Sometimes work and a bit of luck can really propel a player (i.e., Smitkova). Denisa will probably be at USO qualies. Who's to say she won't get on a run like Smitkova? It's possible Siniakova could make the main draw of USO as a direct entry if she has some good results in the next month.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Also look out for Denisa Allertova, 32-1 on the year on the ITF. Just broke into the Top 200-- basically now where Smitkova was before Wimbledon!

Also, Kat Siniakova (18, #134 after Wimbledon) and her BFF and doubles partner Barbs Krejcikova (18, #272).

We aren't even talking about the juniors-- Marketa Vondrousova and Marie Bouzkova...
You are really on top of things :clap2:

As for Barbora Krejčíková, she hired Jana Novotna as a coach, at Barbora's own initiative!

Acc. to newspapers, Barbora was searching for sth on the Internet and discovered that Jana lives just 15 kilometres away. She gave her a call and Jana accepted :lol:

Last, I have no doubt that if the two Martinas and Ivan Lendl joined Novotna and Mandlikova and gave back what they learnt here, the Czech tennis would be even stronger.

Martina N. was actually planning to open a tennis academy, but for some reason the project failed :eek:

·
Banned
5,934 Posts

Also, Kat Siniakova (18, #134 after Wimbledon) and her BFF and doubles partner Barbs Krejcikova (18, #272).

Don't forget to mention Nicole Vaidisova who is coming back stronger than ever. ;)

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
You are really on top of things :clap2:

As for Barbora Krejčíková, she hired Jana Novotna as a coach, at Barbora's own initiative!
Thanks. I used to do a newsletter about the Czechs on GM, but had to stop due to time.

Acc. to newspapers, Barbora was searching for sth on the Internet and discovered that Jana lives just 15 kilometres away. She gave her a call and Jana accepted :lol:

Last, I have no doubt that if the two Martinas and Ivan Lendl joined Novotna and Mandlikova and gave back what they learnt here, the Czech tennis would be even stronger.

Martina N. was actually planning to open a tennis academy, but for some reason the project failed :eek:
That's a funny story! I just hope she doesn't inherit Jana's headcase abilities--Barbora lost her last match after having 7 mps :eek:

I'm not sure Ivan will return to coaching. I heard he's trying to come back on the seniors tour.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Makes me think back to when Bepa had to deal with three leftie Czechs in a row at the aus. open, Lucie and Kvit,the others name eludes me(attractive bugger who didn't smile a lot)

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Very pity that it can not be a purely Czech finale. :rolleyes:
The last 'Czech' final for me was Martina Hingis - Jana Novotna Wimbly final in 1997, although Martina was technically Swiss.

When Martina and Jana entered the court and chatting, I remember the commentator saying: 'It's nice to have two girls speaking Czech in the final' :lol:

It's actually funny that on paper even Navratilova-Mandlikova or Navratilova-Sukova slam finals were not all-Czech, because of Martina's US passport :lol:

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
BUMP.

In 2014, it was Kvitova, Strycova, Safarova & Smitkova
In 2019, it is Kvitova, Strycova, Pliskova & Muchova

5 years later: One confirmed QFist again

Pliskova vs Muchova
Kvitova vs Konta
Mertens vs BZS

Good luck to all :drive:
With respect to our small population of 10 mil. people only, countries like USA, Russia or even Germany must be perfectly ashamed, how poor their results are particularly compared to our population. Such a small country and such a huge success.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
With respect to our small population of 10 mil. people only, countries like USA, Russia or even Germany must be perfectly ashamed, how poor their results are particularly compared to our population. Such a small country and such a huge success.
Indeed. No need to throw mud on other players or countries though.

Just enjoy the ride.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts