Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. and not a single American quartefinalist in every single one of them.. Seems like American women's tennis is becoming a thing of the past.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
ys said:
.. and not a single American quartefinalist in every single one of them.. Seems like American women's tennis is becoming a thing of the past.
They still have Martina N. playing, so excuse me...

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh well, indeed one quartefinalist.. Just to make Americans feel a bit better about this demise..

·
Registered
712 Posts
ys said:
Oh well, indeed one quartefinalist.. Just to make Americans feel a bit better about this demise..
Well they'll get better when they actually play. There could be a possibillity that Venus,Serena,and Lindsay won't play till Wimbledon.

22,716 Posts
Wsisters45 said:
Well they'll get better when they actually play. There could be a possibillity that Venus,Serena,and Lindsay won't play till Wimbledon.
Some demise, 50% of the finalists at last year's Slams were Americans :D

The year before, of the 8 finalists, just ONE was American, so you could actually say that they're on the up :p

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Maybe that's why tennis has gotton so boring...

·
Banned
7,113 Posts
at this thread :rolleyes:

I could have finished this sentence off better..

.......has been a total dissapointment in comparison to what it could have been!!!!!

AO Final - joke
Tokyo - very dissapointing
IW - 6-1 6-2 says it all
Miami - Only Momo and Sharapova left in the second week, when it could have been Momo, Sharapova, Hingis, Venus, Serena, Davenport, Clisjters, Henin, Pierce etc.

Pales in comparison to the imagination if everyone was fit and healthy!

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wsisters45 said:
I don't know abot Lindsay.. but as to the sisters .. they'd better play.. Otherwise .. each of them will be coming back after nearly 6 months break.. Their history of playing right after such long layoffs is by no means great. I actually think Venus will play clay season.. For Serena though it would be almost suicidal..

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
venusfan said:
Maybe that's why tennis has gotton so boring...
For you.. I thought that IW semifinals were one of the best matches of last 12 months or so. Yesterday's Hingis-Sveta was a classic too.. I am not missing anyone, really..

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
ys said:
Hmmm, considering the general health of the top American women, it's no wonder.

Still, I'd stack the American roll call of stars against any other country any time.

Helen Wills Moody
Helen Jacobs
Mo Connelly
Althea Gibson
Billy Jean King
Chris Evert
Martina Navratilova
Monica Seles
Jennifer Capriati
Lindsay Davenport
Venus Williams
Serena Williams

And those are just slam winners. I probably forgot a few, but considering the sheer numbers, it's to be understood.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
ys said:
I don't know abot Lindsay.. but as to the sisters .. they'd better play.. Otherwise .. each of them will be coming back after nearly 6 months break.. Their history of playing right after such long layoffs is by no means great.
As usual you're wrong. After Serena's 8 month lay off she won Miami losing only one set, and double breadsticked Dementieva in the final. Not to mention making the finals of Wimbledon, and winning another title before almost winning the YEC. Venus also after a 6 month break in 2000 came back made a couple of quaterfinals, then won her first two slams back to back. And no one since has had a bigger summer, she remained undefeated from Wimbledon until after the Sydney Olympics.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
ys said:
For you.. I thought that IW semifinals were one of the best matches of last 12 months or so. Yesterday's Hingis-Sveta was a classic too.. I am not missing anyone, really..
:eek:

So you haven't watched a lot of tennis in the last 12 months or so. Both semifinals sucked, and so did the final. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
lucashg said:
:eek:

So you haven't watched a lot of tennis in the last 12 months or so. Both semifinals sucked, and so did the final. :rolleyes:
Actually both semifinals were above average quality, some awesome shot making in the Sharapova/Hingis match...and great determination by Lena D in the other SF.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts