Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With just a handful of tournaments left and Indian Wells not particularly shaking things up in the race due to a lackluster performance from most of the top players, we are inching closer to the WTA Finals and the possibility of having three of the four Slam champions out of the event is slowly becoming a reality. The only Grand Slam champion in 2021 that will probably play in Guadalajara is Krejcikova.

Barty is back in Australia and has just gone through a two-week quarantine in isolation at a hotel, so it's very unlikely that she will travel to Mexico and go through another two-week quarantine when returning to Australia as it would totally mess up her training block during the off-season.

Osaka will be 10th or 11th in the race depending on how Pegula, Kontaveit, Kerber or Badosa do in Indian Wells. Unless she decides to ask for a WC in Moscow, Tenerife, Courmayeur or Cluj-Napoca, she will lose even more ground in the race.

Raducanu is currently 18th in the race and will have to win both Moscow and Cluj-Napoca to even get closer to the top ten in the race.

The last time that three of the four Slam champions for the year didn't compete in the WTA Finals was in 1982. At the time the Finals were played in March of the following year. In 1981 Mandlikova won the French, Evert won Wimbledon, Austin won the US Open and Navratilova won in Melbourne.
Mandlikova, Evert and Austin all withdrew for different reasons and Navratilova was the only one who played. Martina ended up losing in the final to Hanika in a massive upset.
Believe it or not, even if many look at the Era with Evert, Navratilova, Austin and Mandlikova as one of the most successful in women's tennis, things weren't as bright as we think. After the abysmal WTA Finals in 1982, Avon - the popular cosmetics company which had sponsored the women's tour for the past five years pouring millions of dollars in the women's game and bringing the Finals to Madison Square Garden - decided not to renew their sponsorship and the WTA had to go back to being sponsored by Virginia Slims, a brand of cigarettes LOL

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
It's an unusual year because of covid...Barty would definitely have been playing if there was no covid..Naomi has played less than half season due to her off-court issues and whatever stuff is going on with her.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
if radacanu would have played the full season she would have been there

·
Registered
117,411 Posts
Osaka has about 4 match wins since March. I dont expect her beating a YEC draw now
Barty looked fried in her NY loss. Needed a break. If Australia had less restriction from covid she might have played
YEC is where the rich get richer, and a lot of the rich dont need the extra money bad enough to go play it

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The line-up will probably include Sabalenka, Krejcikova, Pliskova, Swiatek, Sakkari, Muguruza, Jabeur and player no. 8. Contenders for the 8th spot are Svitolina, Pegula, Pav, Mertens, Kontaveit and Kerber.

Not necessarily a star-studded field, with Muguruza and Kerber being the most popular names.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Ostapenko has a pretty good chance to qualify for WTA finals if she wins the title in Indian Wells

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The line-up will probably include Sabalenka, Krejcikova, Pliskova, Swiatek, Sakkari, Muguruza, Jabeur and player no. 8. Contenders for the 8th spot are Svitolina, Pegula, Pav, Mertens, Kontaveit and Kerber.

Not necessarily a star-studded field, with Muguruza and Kerber being the most popular names.
but they have been the most consistent players this year so it is star studded

Reactions: A name

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ostapenko has a pretty good chance to qualify for WTA finals if she wins the title in Indian Wells
That's a very long shot. Ostapenko is currently no. 29 in the race and Azarenka is no. 30, they can get closer to the top ten in the race by winning Indian Wells, but to qualify for the Finals they would also have to do really well in Moscow and Courmayeur/Cluj Napoca.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
That's a very long shot. Ostapenko is currently no. 29 in the race and Azarenka is no. 30, they can get closer to the top ten in the race by winning Indian Wells, but to qualify for the Finals they would also have to do really well in Moscow and Courmayeur/Cluj Napoca.
I doubt Barty and Osaka will play so they would be TOP 8 with a title in Indian Wells

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I doubt Barty and Osaka will play so they would be TOP 8 with a title in Indian Wells
No, they wouldn't. It also depends on how Pegula, Kontaveit and Kerber do. If one or two of them make the semifinals, then they will be ahead of Ostapenko or Azarenka. Realistically speaking, if Barty and Osaka withdraw and one between Ostapenko and Azarenka wins the Indian Wells title, they will probably be ranked high enough in the race to be an alternate at the WTA Finals, not top 8.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
To be honest the YEC has been losing its gravitas for years. I’d say from 2015 or 2016 onwards they just aren’t what they were
Well... I don't know what the prize money is this year with covid playing havoc, but in 2019 a 4,5 million dollar potential prize for the winner and 1500 valuable ranking points on the line....I beg to differ.

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Weak era. It’s sad but we can only hope things will improve next year. IW has been a total let down - I’m relying now for Kerber, Vika or Ostapenko to try and salvage something, but I’m not holding out much hope.

As for the YEC who knows who will end up in Mexico. Zarazua should book herself a hotel room now in prep for the WTA’s call to arms.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts