Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
disposablehero said:
I have a question.

Aren't all these people saying Amelie is going to win the same ones who usually claim that Kim gets cakewalk/catwalk/canewalk/capewalk/cornwalk/codwalk/copwalk/carwalk draws?
She has, until now.

·
Premium Member
21,121 Posts
I kinda wish my poor Amelie had gotten an easier quarter, maybe Jennifers'? LOL :)

Ok but to be serious if this was the Amelie of last year I would say this match up would have the potential to produce some AWESOME tennis, espcially with the way Kim is playing.

But this isn't the Amelie of last year, with her injury and lack of match play I'm afraid it won't be much of a contest.

I love ya Em but I gotta say Kim in 2

·
Ferosh Warrior ♥
53,292 Posts
I think this match is even.. The thing is that Amelie had not played her best.. well especially against Tammy and Marsha.. While Kim played the best tennis ever against Laura.. So I would see both players play their best and May the best win ;)

But hey, seeing from my Momo current form, I would give Kim the edge ;) (Now let's hope for the miracle :p CHOKE please :tape )

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Actually, this matchup is similar to last year, but in reverse.

Kim came into the 2002 Open struggling with injury, and Amelie was pretty hot coming off her Wimbledon SF and 1-2 summer titles.

This year Amelie is struggling with injury and Kim is coming off a Wimbledon SF and 2 summer titles.

Reactions: Lisbeth

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
lizchris said:
She has, until now.
Piss off. She was supposed to face Hantuchova, the highest possible seed. Too bad only Meg Shaughnessy made it through, what after beating Zvonareva all. Who would have been a more dangerous opponent than Kuznetsova? The vast majority of the unseeded players were less dangerous than Granville. It's not Kim's responsibility to make these players look good, it's her job to beat them, which nobody else in this draw would have done as easily. She's had the toughest PRE-Quarterfinal draw of any surviving seed. And made it look easy.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
if kim plays like she did against meghan, than kim will go down to amelie, in two or 3 sets. kim didn't even bother to try and dictate meghann at all. i think she will never dictate against venus or serena. but when it comes to amelie its a toss up as to who will be doing the dictating. i think amelie is gonna come out wanting to seize this opportunity. she sees what she can do and get done. she has lost to a williams in a grandslam since 2002 wimbledon and that is it. this is a big opportunity for her, and i think she realizes and knows it. .

look for her to come out and really take it to kim. and take her out in 2 tough sets, or an easy 3rd set.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
I expected a much closer match from Momo/Tami. Last time they played it was 6-3 5-7 6-2 for Momo!

This is tough...it's going to be the QF of the tournament...I have a feeling it will be in three. And I really have no idea who will win.

My guts telling me Mauresmo.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
yes, my gut is telling me Kim's bid for her first major will be spoiled again by Amelie, the biggest spoiler of em all (i still can't believe the # of times she prevented Capriati from reaching the semis in a major).

but seeing the way Kim played and rolled over Shaugnessy today, I'd say Kim 6-3, 7-5.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Kim played about 4 hardcourt leadup tournaments. Amelie did about 1. Nuff said.

Still, Amelie might just surprise everyone and take out Kim in straight sets :)

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
kku said:

Well the problem with that is Kim is match tough...and Kim has faced the tough players...Justine, Jennifer, Lindsay.

Mauresmo didn't face any top 10 player...she lost to Dementieva

·
63,656 Posts
I'm go with SerenaSlam! Kim played OK today against Meghann so, I expect Amelie will win!

·
63,656 Posts
kku said:

Amelie never played any Californian tournaments in her career. She always start at Canada then New Haven before the Open.

·
Registered
600 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Well the problem with that is Kim is match tough...and Kim has faced the tough players...Justine, Jennifer, Lindsay.

Mauresmo didn't face any top 10 player...she lost to Dementieva
Maybe the fact Amelie lost to Dementieva does not mean much because:
- the fact player A is supposed to be better than player B and player C does not necesseray mean player A will beat B next time event if player A beat player C and player B lost to player C etc.... ;)
- it was the first tournament of Amelie since the Fed Cup whereas Dementieva had played many matches the week before.
- I don't remember well but I heard Amelie had a pain in the back that was quite worrying at the time.

Mauresmo does not need to face top 10 player in the last weeks to be competitive in Us Open because she is not 17 years old and got several similar experiences during her career.

In fact except against her Nemesis Serena I don't think she will loose because of her "head" like it is too often said even when she reaches semifinals of Grand Chelems. Oh maybe it's all wishes.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think Clijsters doesn't like the game of Amelie with heavy topspins.
If the forehand of Amelie is on, Kim will be in troubles :cool:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
If Kim plays like she did against Meghann, she'll lose. Her serve is really terrible imo. With a better serve she would be THE player to beat at the US open.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I think this could be a great match, I really hope that both players bring their A-game and show everyone what a delight womens tennis can be :drool: :)

But if I had to back someone....I would say Kim in three sets. :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
per4ever said:
If Kim plays like she did against Meghann, she'll lose. Her serve is really terrible imo. With a better serve she would be THE player to beat at the US open.
:confused: Her serve is not a very hard one, I'd agree, but I think it's definitly underestimated. Even though agains weaker player, I think the no. do indicate that it's not bad at all.

Hitting a first serve around 70 % with about the same succes rate!

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
If Kim is at her best mentally and physically, I dont see how Mauresmo can win, despite her alleged "secret weapon" for beating Kim (lol at the mind games there!).

21 - 40 of 59 Posts