Tennis Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1466 Posts

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
The mods do or did skew heavily to Mel fans so they've always shutdown threads about her quick. The orphans also report and bully and harass in mass numbers which tends to alert mods to things more. It's par for the course though. How quickly did they want to sweep the drug suspension and cheating under the rug?

The only good thing about this event this time is that it's actually sparked debate unlike '09 and '11 were everything was just Serena's fault. Yes the racists are having a field day but there have been a lot of people who have come out in support of Serena and the double standard is being widely criticized.

I’ve been avoiding any and all coverage of this, but if there’s anything I have observed it’s that people are forgetting Serena’s side. Most of the mainstream articles (even the pro-Serena ones) have immediately jumped to the “meltdown” and haven’t covered what led up to it. Serena felt like she was getting called a cheater because from her viewpoint, all she saw was Patrick giving her a thumbs up. She even said that Ramos and her’s first exchange was a good one and that she felt like he understood because of her 20+ track record of not getting coached, even when it’s legal. Then, the point penalty really shook her. I think if Serena would have realized the coaching penalty was already put, she wouldn’t have smashed her racquet which caused her to get upset at Ramos for taking a point from her. Then the game penalty was just overkill.

The media isn’t covering that, they’re covering Serena’s argument about how she was mistreated vs “rule breaking”. The majority of people I’ve talked this over with in real life aren’t seeing the lead up to the “meltdown” all they’re seeing is Serena having a fit. And that’s the issue. She’s being dehumanized and her side isn’t being covered. Up until the game penalty (which she didn’t even hear until the scoreboard clicked over) Serena had no idea what was going on. It was clear. She legitimately felt cheated, especially due to her conversation with Ramos after the coaching violation. It happened way too quickly and Ramos did not do his duty to make it clear what was going on. Osaka said that as well. She had no idea what was going on either. If I was in a grand slam final where I had just been a break up and then all of a sudden I’m down 5-3, and it all happened in a 15-second window when I had no idea what was going on, I would be grumpy af too.

It’s the polar opposite for Pova. She was overhumanized by the media. They cited her “pre diabetes” and “heart conditions” and the fact that the drug had only been banned for two weeks. They went out of their way to make excuses and talk about how she couldn’t have possibly seen the emails and whatnot. The fact of the matter is, Pova was doping for a decade and if that had been Serena, she’d probably be in San Quinton right now or something. Pova gets the red carpet rolled out on her comeback. It’s a horrible double standard that isn’t male vs female and sexism and gender equality related, its race. Point blank. It’s a race issue. Tennis has always been cookie-cutter, all-whites, Country club, “poise and grace” and anything outside of that mold is seen as a threat to the tennis establishment. Althea Gibson paved the way to break down these barriers, Arthur Ashe carried the battering ram and Venus and Serena are still pounding at that wall. Eventually something has to give. Like someone else said, with Clijsters, Serena was the “big mean threatening black woman” but since Osaka isn’t white, they’re having to find other means to tear at Serena and using her innocent ignorance to what was happening is how they’re doing it this time, that, and “stealing Osaka’s moment”.

Were rules broken? Yes. But like everyone who knows this sport knows, everyone gets coached from the box and it should be a penalty on the coach, not the player. Especially if the player didn’t even see the coach. Ramos took it way too far and didn’t make it clear what he was doing. Serena was just reacting to the shock of being docked a game in one of the most important matches in her career, which she was probably on her way to losing anyway. After the media has loved and adored and hyped her up now for a few years. And because of her reaction, the fact that she was going to lose to a “nobody” especially after all the adoration, the media is having to put all the blame on Serena and her emotions, because they feel like she has “robbed” them of a good story. In any world, black or white, ‘24 grand slams’ is a better click than “Serena shock defeat by whatshername”. So because this happened, now “Serena meltdown. Cites double standards. Here’s why she’s a bully, crybaby and WRONG” is a better click than “Serena shock defeat by whatshername”. Whereas with Pova, they kept her name out of the gutter when she did something that many many others would have been butchered for. And it’s because of race. It’s just so clear to me.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
18,277 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why Serena came out against Naomi so clueless, they had already played before and Serena actually played her better in Miami :hysteric:

She's got to get over these nerves in finals. I'm ok with her losing to Kerber, but Stosur and Osaka should've never happened :mad:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why Serena came out against Naomi so clueless, they had already played before and Serena actually played her better in Miami :hysteric:

She's got to get over these nerves in finals. I'm ok with her losing to Kerber, but Stosur and Osaka should've never happened :mad:
I don't think Serena was clueless. It's just that's she was up against a 16 years younger, and at least as many pounds lighter, version of herself. Osaka matched Serena's weight of shot, but moved much better.

And it's not like the Serena camp didn't have a game plan before the match. It's just hard to execute attacking tennis when you're having a bad serving day and your opponent is keeping you on your heels in every rally. We'll see what happens when Serena's 100 % fit and serves well.

·
Premium Member
20,321 Posts
If the quests for #18 and #22 are any indication, it's that eventually Serena will run out of pressure to put on herself and get her act together. In the meantime we just have to be patient.
This!

And I suspect the nonsense happening right now will be fuel for Oz. I expect an '07 type Rena to appear in January.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
This!

And I suspect the nonsense happening right now will be fuel for Oz. I expect an '07 type Rena to appear in January.
She will come back for blood. I kinda wish she was unranked so she could meet Osaka round 1. Sharapova round 2.

I'm hoping Serena realizes she needs matches under her belt now more than ever though. The days of her strolling into a slam without warmups are long gone. At the very least she should play Zhuhai. Ironically those are the girls that always seem to peak against her.

·
Premium Member
20,321 Posts
She has to take care of her knees though. But I do agree some match play is needed. Probably try making a qf or something at an event leading into a major and then tank or something. Hopefully she starts the season off in Auckland next year.

Edit: I kind of wish she would play the indoor swing a bit too just to get this mess behind her. I feel like letting the press vultures bother her a bit now is better than them being unleashed after a full off season without access when she gets to Oz.

·
Premium Member
20,321 Posts
He's liked by most here. There are a few lost souls who prefer Curry :eek: I think mostly the ones that root for the hedgehog.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Even Regina kind of supported her.

Federer was also questioned about whether sexism was involved.

"I hope it's not the case, obviously," he said. "I think what happened, especially in the final but also with Cornet, obviously there was mistakes along the way and there should be more discretion—sometimes. At the same time, they [the umpires] have to do their job, that's what we want them also to do.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
I’ve been avoiding any and all coverage of this, but if there’s anything I have observed it’s that people are forgetting Serena’s side. Most of the mainstream articles (even the pro-Serena ones) have immediately jumped to the “meltdown” and haven’t covered what led up to it. Serena felt like she was getting called a cheater because from her viewpoint, all she saw was Patrick giving her a thumbs up. She even said that Ramos and her’s first exchange was a good one and that she felt like he understood because of her 20+ track record of not getting coached, even when it’s legal. Then, the point penalty really shook her. I think if Serena would have realized the coaching penalty was already put, she wouldn’t have smashed her racquet which caused her to get upset at Ramos for taking a point from her. Then the game penalty was just overkill.

The media isn’t covering that, they’re covering Serena’s argument about how she was mistreated vs “rule breaking”. The majority of people I’ve talked this over with in real life aren’t seeing the lead up to the “meltdown” all they’re seeing is Serena having a fit. And that’s the issue. She’s being dehumanized and her side isn’t being covered. Up until the game penalty (which she didn’t even hear until the scoreboard clicked over) Serena had no idea what was going on. It was clear. She legitimately felt cheated, especially due to her conversation with Ramos after the coaching violation. It happened way too quickly and Ramos did not do his duty to make it clear what was going on. Osaka said that as well. She had no idea what was going on either. If I was in a grand slam final where I had just been a break up and then all of a sudden I’m down 5-3, and it all happened in a 15-second window when I had no idea what was going on, I would be grumpy af too.

It’s the polar opposite for Pova. She was overhumanized by the media. They cited her “pre diabetes” and “heart conditions” and the fact that the drug had only been banned for two weeks. They went out of their way to make excuses and talk about how she couldn’t have possibly seen the emails and whatnot. The fact of the matter is, Pova was doping for a decade and if that had been Serena, she’d probably be in San Quinton right now or something. Pova gets the red carpet rolled out on her comeback. It’s a horrible double standard that isn’t male vs female and sexism and gender equality related, its race. Point blank. It’s a race issue. Tennis has always been cookie-cutter, all-whites, Country club, “poise and grace” and anything outside of that mold is seen as a threat to the tennis establishment. Althea Gibson paved the way to break down these barriers, Arthur Ashe carried the battering ram and Venus and Serena are still pounding at that wall. Eventually something has to give. Like someone else said, with Clijsters, Serena was the “big mean threatening black woman” but since Osaka isn’t white, they’re having to find other means to tear at Serena and using her innocent ignorance to what was happening is how they’re doing it this time, that, and “stealing Osaka’s moment”.

Were rules broken? Yes. But like everyone who knows this sport knows, everyone gets coached from the box and it should be a penalty on the coach, not the player. Especially if the player didn’t even see the coach. Ramos took it way too far and didn’t make it clear what he was doing. Serena was just reacting to the shock of being docked a game in one of the most important matches in her career, which she was probably on her way to losing anyway. After the media has loved and adored and hyped her up now for a few years. And because of her reaction, the fact that she was going to lose to a “nobody” especially after all the adoration, the media is having to put all the blame on Serena and her emotions, because they feel like she has “robbed” them of a good story. In any world, black or white, ‘24 grand slams’ is a better click than “Serena shock defeat by whatshername”. So because this happened, now “Serena meltdown. Cites double standards. Here’s why she’s a bully, crybaby and WRONG” is a better click than “Serena shock defeat by whatshername”. Whereas with Pova, they kept her name out of the gutter when she did something that many many others would have been butchered for. And it’s because of race. It’s just so clear to me.
I lurve ya, and your post ^^ :hug:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Can I just say, I absolutely hated every single one of her outfits this year. Horrendous. The colors, the fit, nothing worked and I hate them even more because she lost in them.

I need her to bring back Wimbledon 2016, Australian Open 2015 looks pronto.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I wish she would whip out that 2011 AO outfit she had planned. It was a different spin and would've looked great on her.

All of her 2015 outfits were HOT. I feel like her RG outfit that year is extremely underrated. The peach looked great on her (especially when she swapped the sports bra to match the dress). And that snake dress for USO 2015? She looked DEADLY.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I wish she would whip out that 2011 AO outfit she had planned. It was a different spin and would've looked great on her.

All of her 2015 outfits were HOT. I feel like her RG outfit that year is extremely underrated. The peach looked great on her (especially when she swapped the sports bra to match the dress). And that snake dress for USO 2015? She looked DEADLY.
Plus I want the hair back from your avatar!

This year reminded me of the first half of 2016. When she came out at Indian Wells 2016 with that corner store weave looking like Joanne the Scammer I knew all was lost.

·
Premium Member
20,321 Posts
The catsuit at the French grew on me. By the end I loved it! The USO's dress was a cute concept but the execution was bad. The tulle was too puffy. It should have looked more like Venus' iconic 2010 Moulin Rogue dress :inlove:

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
The Catsuit for all that it represented will always get a thumbs up for me. Wimbledon outfit was trash. The US Open series one wasnt horrible . US Open IMO was a bold and different look. Only thing I didnt love was the amount on the skirt. It was too puffy. And it looked better in movement than it did still. Cant wait to see what she has in store for 2019 .

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
So disappointed that Serena ended her season. It’s clear that she needs match play, it’s clear that the likes of Osaka and Kerber caught her off guard, and it’s clear that she is still on the come back. I wish she would have made it to the WTA finals to compete with the girls regularly giving her trouble at the slams. She hasn’t won a tourney yet, and she needs to get that monkey off her back. Otherwise it’s just more chokes in the final.

In 2012 she was regularly routining these girls because she was used to their games and would meet them in smaller tourneys. Now she’s having to learn and adapt to their games on the spot at slams and it’s becoming more and more daunting. I have faith in her but this extended off season will be tough if she isn’t training harder than ever.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I'm disappointed, but not worried. Her level of play at the USO was really damn good, and with only 20+ matches under belt to boot.

I wish she had more match play for AO, but she'll be fine.

1441 - 1460 of 1466 Posts