Tennis Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1466 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Out of interest, has anyone ever seen a game penalty been given at a tour level / grand slam tennis match? I've just never seen that happen.

My biggest issue with this is that it went from 0-60 so quickly. Usually umpires exercise their wisdom (if they have any) and discretion and give informal warnings so that you don't get to game penalty at all (let alone so quickly).
Dimitrov got a game penalty in Istanbul final in 2016....hotheads like Paire,Gulbis etc got game penalties in ATP recently...it's not like it has happened first time in history...likes of John McEnroe were even defaulted and also disqualified from Australian Open once in 1990 due to his on-court antics.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
History will judge them for the ignorant fools they are. They will keep trying to diminish Serena’s legacy with their dog whistles, but that will fade away and be shown for the ugly people they truly are. It’s happened so many times throughout history.

They keep trying silence and obsificate the issue, but everyone can see plain as day what it amounts to.
ALL I want is for my gurl Ree is to take time off, REST enjoy her family/friends and then make it up in her mind to come back as healthy as possible, and channel her inner Harriet Tubman. They had a bounty on her head too. Werk yo' ass of Ree with Mackie. THEN focus in on bagging those last 2 singles slams for YO' SEF. THEN retire :hug:
Jehovah, keep Ree and Vee healthy come the following tennis year.

Guys, I'm old enough to remember Ali and all the shit he went through. He had only a handful of friends, Howard Cosell and a few others who supported him. The only thing is that tennis is still a mostly white sport, where as boxing was still being ruled by African-Americans, so the racism, white still there, wasn't the same for him.

Final thing, I was talking to a friend (69) whose Haitian (American) (He came to the USA as a toddler and has duo citizenship because his wife is from New Jersey). He speak's Haitian Creole, and he stays in firm touch with his Haitian Roots. His grandmother nearing 100 was voodoo priestess for 77 years up until she started losing her sight in her mid 90's, and he's a huge Naomi fan. I thought he was there to clown me because Naomi won, but no he said why, I'm STILL cool with Serena, and I want her to break that "Turkey neck, racist Court's record.":lol: He said, he's seen all of that racism Serena taken on. He said I understand the racism/Sexism involved with a still mostly white sport of tennis, and although he and all of his friends were rooting for Osaka, none of them is mad at Ree. He said what happened with the altercation with the chair didn't ruin Naomi's moment. He said they were hoping it would, but it didn't. He said his friends back in Haiti were partying and happy for Naomi, but proud that Serena stood up for herself vs the white/patriarchal establishment, "Just like my fore parents did for 13 years--taking it to the colonizers." He and his friends said that they know the deal. He said hopefully Serena being the strong woman she is will help Naomi weather the storms better, and I said what storms? He said said there's going to be some storms ahead for her because as he sees it, the media/press are downplaying her Haitian heritage, and he said if you notice while she always speaks so respectfully and lovingly about her Mom and about her heritage/sacrifice love, he said that HE noticed that reporters who cover her kind of steer her away from her talking about and discussing her Haitian side. He said did I see that cartoon? I said yeah, the world saw it. He said Serena doesn't look like that. He said Naomi looked like a skinny little white girl. He said they're white-washing her already. I said I don't really follow her like that. But Im'ma have to start watching out for what he told me. I said, what about the $ she could make over in Japan? He said they really don't and won't ever really cotton to her Haitian side. He said they "PUT UP with her Haitian side." He said, you remember I told you that I lived in Japan for 12 years when I was in the military, and he said that he was never treated so rudely in his life. He said that they're extremely homogeneous in Japan. He said not all of the people there are racist, of course. He said he knew some good people there who were interested in his heritage, culture. Wanted to hang out. But overall, he said he was HAPPY to come back to the US after he retired from the military. I said but that was decades ago when you were there in the military. He said most want the part of Naomi that's a winner. The part of her that brings prestige to Japan. He said that she has until 22 to make a choice as to what country she represents. He said depending on what citizenship she ultimately chooses, he said he can see a back lash of sorts against her for various reasons, and especially so if she identifies with her Haitian side MORE as she ages and if she has more success. I said doesn't the Nissan back her? He said yeah, and asked me if I saw that big deal Adidas was getting ready to offer her? I said no, I'm late. Fucking tRump takes the air out of everything :mad:

Lordt, what did my friend tell me today? And what IF he's even right about SOME of that :help: I've invested so much into Ree for 2 decades that I don't have it in me at THIS age to defend anybody else post Ree's retirement :hysteric:

That muthafukka tRump tweeted that those poor almost 3,000 people in Puerto Rico didn't die, but I know somebody who lost 3 cousins in their mid-20's. He said it was fake news and that the Democrats made it up to make him look bad. Bastid gave himself and his administration an A+ for their handling of Puerto Rico. And Lawd, a possible rapist probably will be voted onto the Supreme Court :mad:

Lawd, please, please, please. Make it so that tRumpfucker will finally lose the rest of the 1/2 ounce of mind he has left. Lawd, let the orange nightmare END :bigcry:

I lurve ya'll :hug:

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
Dimitrov got a game penalty in Istanbul final in 2016....hotheads like Paire,Gulbis etc got game penalties in ATP recently...it's not like it has happened first time in history...likes of John McEnroe were even defaulted and also disqualified from Australian Open once in 1990 due to his on-court antics.
Yes we are all aware of Jonny Mac's episodes and defaults. I think if you need to go back as far as him to provide more than 3 examples, it proves the point I was making in my post.

It's an extremely rare occurrence, because usually umpires are doing their job to diffuse the situation.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
wow...it's been 5 days since the match was finished but you still didn't understand the game penalty decision right? It was Serena's 3rd warning....Federer also would have gotten a game penalty if it was his 3rd warning but it was his first warning...that's why he didn't get a game penalty there....it's not that complicated

What warning did Federer receive because I certainly didn't hear a warning when I watched him lose his temper and swear?

·
Premium Member
20,321 Posts
Can't believe how many threads there are in GM about the USO incident. When that fucking drug addict Dopahova was being held to account for her cheating, they made damned sure to quickly mandate that all threads about it be merged. Unsurprising.

The mods do or did skew heavily to Mel fans so they've always shutdown threads about her quick. The orphans also report and bully and harass in mass numbers which tends to alert mods to things more. It's par for the course though. How quickly did they want to sweep the drug suspension and cheating under the rug?

The only good thing about this event this time is that it's actually sparked debate unlike '09 and '11 were everything was just Serena's fault. Yes the racists are having a field day but there have been a lot of people who have come out in support of Serena and the double standard is being widely criticized.

·
Registered
84,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,427

·
Rena's Army
34,943 Posts
Now that people aren't singing her praises she can focus on playing tennis for her (and Olympia), after realising that she was getting faux praise just because she hadn't done anything else but win and had kept her attitude "in check". When one of the first questions she got was what would she tell her daughter and seeing how they have removed their masks, hopefully she sees that she will never be their "hero" and stops trying to be.

Scream, cry, grunt, be bitter, be a sore loser. Trying to keep everything in check to be the perfect role model isn't going well, because it all comes out at one time and the establishment gets to show their true colours. I just hope she realises she was always a great role model because she showed how human she is...flaws and all...while flying to heights we didn't know humans could get to.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Now that people aren't singing her praises she can focus on playing tennis for her (and Olympia), after realising that she was getting faux praise just because she hadn't done anything else but win and had kept her attitude "in check". When one of the first questions she got was what would she tell her daughter and seeing how they have removed their masks, hopefully she sees that she will never be their "hero" and stops trying to be.

Scream, cry, grunt, be bitter, be a sore loser. Trying to keep everything in check to be the perfect role model isn't going well, because it all comes out at one time and the establishment gets to show their true colours. I just hope she realises she was always a great role model because she showed how human she is...flaws and all...while flying to heights we didn't know humans could get to.
Totally agree with this comment. Maybe Serena was complacent considering how ‘nice’ the tennis establishment has been the last couple of years, but they still think of her as the devil that has ruined ‘their’ sport.

Either way Serena will have the last laugh, that I am 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
20,321 Posts
This has really energized the racists and scum that have never liked Serena. Yahoo homepage is going out of its way to post articles that slander Serena.

They've always just needed a reason. But it's worse now because they are emboldened on all fronts globally. This is their last gasp IMO. Not just in the US but everywhere. They are trying to sow as much havoc now as possible. It won't happen over night but progress will wash them away eventually.

Serena was right. She'll have to suffer the brunt of this but the next girl(s) won't have to. Like Billie, Althea, Zina etc. Someone always has to be first. Serena and Venus made things easier for Stephens, Keys and Osaka.

It's also interesting contrasting this to '09. People were clamoring to have Clijsters on to talk about her victimization at Serena's hands. It's been muted with Osaka. They all say they feel bad for her but she's not being trotted out as a wounded party as much and in some cases (that racist comic) she's been literally whitewashed. I wonder why? Also credit to Osaka and her camp for not taking the bait unlike Clijsters who relished it.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Serena was right. She'll have to suffer the brunt of this but the next girl(s) won't have to. Like Billie, Althea, Zina etc. Someone always has to be first. Serena and Venus made things easier for Stephens, Keys and Osaka.
That is for sure. We have to be thankful those players don't have to go through the same racist crap the Williams sisters did. Hell, Osaka is already getting a bit tired of answering questions about her "mix" :lol: Could have been so much worse had the Williams sisters not led the way.

·
Registered
903 Posts
What these people don’t realize is that they are actually ruining their own sport. Particularly in the US, Serena and Venus (and Federer) are tennis. By dragging Serena through the mud they are basically driving fans away from the sport.

In a few years the Williams sisters and Federer will be retired so who will folks tune into watch? Nadal for a few more years until he finally retires. I can’t name any women who will draw fans in. Osaka will certainly get the Asian market watching if she continues to do well, but US fans aren’t going to be drawn in regularly.

No one will ever be treated as poorly as the sisters but if I’m a currently WTA player, I’m watching and seeing how quickly the media will turn on you. They won’t say it but some of them are scared about what could happen to them if they don’t behave perfectly all of the time.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
18,277 Posts
Serena isn't perfect and can lose control of her emotions at times, but how do people not understand that its a serious accusation to be accused of coaching? over 20 years on tour and a reputation for playing fair and all it took was for one umpire to call her a cheater. Now she is a bully, cheater and all umpires are victims and underpaid.

This is too much y'all. I'm really angry that people are still racist out here and disguising it as something else

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,113 Posts
It baffles me how Carillo is still out there working. She's a fucking nightmare.
She's the definition of toxic. Fortunately she's becoming less relevant with each passing year, which is probably why she's so irritable and desperate for attention.

Never forget:
-- We got her fired from ESPN.
-- She was the lone female commentator on CBS and they've since stopped covering tennis.
-- She went full time to Tennis Channel after CBS, and they proceeded to drop women's tennis from their coverage shortly afterward. Now she's one of the lowest ones on Tennis Channel's totem pole.

:haha::haha::haha:

1421 - 1440 of 1466 Posts