Tennis Forum banner
301 - 320 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
At the end they mentioned they hope to make a good connection with Iga’s dad and convince Iga to come next year hopefully they will have a shoulder mattress for her (German dry joke).
They should't be offended - Iga as #1 can pick whatever tournament she likes. And for whatever reason. Sorry, they should face it - perhaps they are just not that important in the WTA calendar.

And I think Iga skipped Berlin cos this silly glass brick trophy. She needs big silver cup containers with a lid for her tiramisu. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Check those coordinates. I believe there Iga practicing
51.43684649108538, -0.21571840117037977

Edit:
It is the separate practice court, which you cannot see. I have been many times, but you can only really see the practice courts next to Church Road, you cannot see the one Iga is pictured on.

BTW I got married in Church Road 50 years ago in September! My wife is from Wimbledon. 52 years ago we stood and watched Rod Laver play on Centre Court. They used to have a standing area in those days.

·
Registered
661 Posts
It is the separate practice court, which you cannot see. I have been many times, but you can only really see the practice courts next to Church Road, you cannot see the one Iga is pictured on.

BTW I got married in Church Road 50 years ago in September! My wife is from Wimbledon. 52 years ago we stood and watched Rod Laver play on Centre Court. They used to have a standing area in those days.
You are a living tennis chronicler.

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator, Polish & Serbian Kingdo
120,041 Posts
Looks like Ons could be a good spy. ;) What was your job during this tournament?
I worked at the players desk of the tournament, handing out accreditations, helping with practice and any queries they had. I didn’t expect to have such a direct access to players and it’s been nice to actually get to know some of them and see how differently they interact with each other, tournament staff etc.

·
Registered
34,884 Posts
Catching up on this thread and then discovering Iga is in the UK already is making me 😍😍🥰🥰

She definitely made the right decision re Berlin. I was reflecting on Clijsters in 2003, the huge number of matches she played that year and then how she potentially paid a price for it in 2004 (injured most of the year, playing one out of four slams).

Iga and her team made good decisions re: Charleston, Madrid and Berlin - it’s called being strategic. Much better than being short sighted. And it’s paid off so far. As the saying goes: if you’re doing something right, keep doing it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
^did you ever see Mandlikova play? :love:

i am guessing Iga has never played on centre court :confused2:
her 4 matches last year were all on outside courts? were not on bbc anyway
any guesses for any oddball Iga London daytrips? 🙃

·
Registered
754 Posts
^did you ever see Mandlikova play? :love:
Of course. And her mother Vera Sukova. I had a friend who was a big fan of Hana. For me it was Evonne Goolagong. In fact I have only ever been a big fan of 3 players - Goolagong, Mauresmo, and Iga.

any guesses for any oddball Iga London daytrips? 🙃
Not oddball, but interesting, would be a Buckingham Palace tour. Not expensive, and good value I would say. Also go on the London Eye, especially at sunset. Views across the city centre and very theatrical as the sun sets.

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator, Polish & Serbian Kingdo
120,041 Posts
Knowing Iga, she would love to visit Kew Gardens or Richmond. Neither aren’t that far away from Wimbledon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Of course. And her mother Vera Sukova. I had a friend who was a big fan of Hana. For me it was Evonne Goolagong. In fact I have only ever been a big fan of 3 players - Goolagong, Mauresmo, and Iga.
very jealous that you've seen Hana play live :classicsmile:
you got me confused there, i knew Hana's dad was an olympian (like Iga's dad!)
Vera Sukova would be Helena's mum!

i think lots of park trips too and maybe a trip to the tower.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Knowing Iga, she would love to visit Kew Gardens or Richmond. Neither aren’t that far away from Wimbledon.
There is not really that much at Richmond, apart from Mick Jagger's house and the view of the River Thames. There are lots of quirky museums in London. She could also visit the ABBA concert! :) (I am going in September).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not oddball, but interesting, would be a Buckingham Palace tour. Not expensive, and good value I would say. Also go on the London Eye, especially at sunset. Views across the city centre and very theatrical as the sun sets.
British Museum (even a short visit) or National Gallery are much more interesting. :p

·
Registered
754 Posts
British Museum (even a short visit) or National Gallery are much more interesting. :p
Walking round museums can be tiring. I am trying to think of things Iga can do which are mindless, so she does not tire herself. When she has won the whole competition, then she can visit all the museums in London. Priorities! :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Vera Sukova would be Helena's mum!
Yes, I confused myself. Vera was Helena's mum, and Hana's coach.

EDIT: Thinking about Hana, Evonne, and Iga the big diffference is that Hana and Evonne were always felt to underachieve because they had so many shot options they sometimes went for the 'fun' shots when they would have been better to choose a routine shot. A bit like Ons Jabeur now. Iga also likes to put on a show, but it is noticeable that Wiktorowski has rigorously simplified her game and removed anything showy. That focus on simplicity and repetition has given Iga the success we see this year.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Walking round museums can be tiring. I am trying to think of things Iga can do which are mindless, so she does not tire herself. When she has won the whole competition, then she can visit all the museums in London. Priorities! :)
That is why I was writing about a short visit, just to see the Rosetta Stone, reliefs from Partenon or the Standard of Ur.
But my proposition how to spend free time would be better for time after winning the championship.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It might be boring for simple folk like us, but Iga is a high-brow lady. Maybe it actually relaxes and calms her? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Yes, I confused myself. Vera was Helena's mum, and Hana's coach.

EDIT: Thinking about Hana, Evonne, and Iga the big diffference is that Hana and Evonne were always felt to underachieve because they had so many shot options they sometimes went for the 'fun' shots when they would have been better to choose a routine shot. A bit like Ons Jabeur now. Iga also likes to put on a show, but it is noticeable that Wiktorowski has rigorously simplified her game and removed anything showy. That focus on simplicity and repetition has given Iga the success we see this year.
I feel that Wiktorowski is trying to build a "default mode" from which Iga can either expand or to which she can always fall back.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I feel that Wiktorowski is trying to build a "default mode" from which Iga can either expand or to which she can always fall back.
It's also what I feel... and it seems to me that's what 2022 has been about: build this "default mode" for Iga, so she has something simple (for her) to use in most situations. That's why it may look less flashy than her very best matches in 2020/21, but it is more reliable and doesn't require her to play at 100%. Expansion could be a weaponized serve, which would suit this approach well and won't change the other fundamentals.

I'd suppose 2023 will be to expand it with more tools, and 2024 & later to add other modes. If that's the case, it'd really be an exciting journey.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's why it may look less flashy than her very best matches in 2020/21
Well, if we only remember her very best matches, and forget the average matches or, especially, the losses, then the analysis is distorted. I find what happened in 2020/21 less flashy. Losing in the round of 16 or before in the majority of tournaments of 2020/21 was not flashy at all.
it is more reliable and doesn't require her to play at 100%.
I think you said it well. In 2022 Iga has realized that she doesn't need to play risky, or go all-in, to win against the best players. Playing risky or all-in meant she didn't always have control over the situation. This year with Wiktorowski, just by playing her normal level, she is able to win against everybody and have control over the matches.

It's true, perhaps, that Iga in Roland Garros 2022 didn't look as convincing as in other tournaments. She had some shaky moments. Perhaps, it was the pressure to win her second grand slam. The best thing, and the scariest for her opponents, is that she won the tournament anyway! In any case, I think she has had many brilliant matches and tournaments this year. She has won 35 matches in a row! That says it all. IMO, her consistency and playing her normal level (because her standard is so good that she doesn't need to play risky to win) have been some of the keys.

301 - 320 of 575 Posts