Tennis Forum banner
281 - 300 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
As tough as with any other player she plays in those rounds. Iga depends on herself, not on who she meets in the draw.
Exactly. People constantly looking for the easiest possible draw is a big indicator of the mediocre level and lack of consistency on tour. Elite players don't care. They play their best, and it's usually enough.

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator, Polish & Serbian Kingdo
120,039 Posts
Bett1 ceo and tournament director about Iga:
(would be lovely if someone translated)
The CEO mentioned it was disappointing to hear about Iga’s withdrawal and that there should be a transparent system informing of legit injuries. He said they were really hoping Iga’s participation would be a nice connection between the two nations Poland and Germany. Then they mentioned that Polish community is strong in Berlin and Iga’s participation would make a difference to attendance. At the end they mentioned they hope to make a good connection with Iga’s dad and convince Iga to come next year hopefully they will have a shoulder mattress for her (German dry joke).

They were obviously trying to make a point that Iga’s injury wasn’t legit and she needed rest and wasn’t honest about it. From their perspective I understand their point of view and frustration but it’s the reality of a tournament organisers that top players pick and choose their spots in calendar and clearly for Iga this wasn’t a priority.

From my personal point of view I am glad Iga took some time off this week. Would’ve been incredibly cool to be able to interact with her and her team like I had a chance pretty much with every player that participated in last weeks tournament but it was for the best.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The CEO mentioned it was disappointing to hear about Iga’s withdrawal and that there should be a transparent system informing of legit injuries. He said they were really hoping Iga’s participation would be a nice connection between the two nations Poland and Germany. Then they mentioned that Polish community is strong in Berlin and Iga’s participation would make a difference to attendance. At the end they mentioned they hope to make a good connection with Iga’s dad and convince Iga to come next year hopefully they will have a shoulder mattress for her (German dry joke).

They were obviously trying to make a point that Iga’s injury wasn’t legit and she needed rest and wasn’t honest about it. From their perspective I understand their point of view and frustration but it’s the reality of a tournament organisers that top players pick and choose their spots in calendar and clearly for Iga this wasn’t a priority.

From my personal point of view I am glad Iga took some time off this week. Would’ve been incredibly cool to be able to interact with her and her team like I had a chance pretty much with every player that participated in last weeks tournament but it was for the best.
I don't like this guy already :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
....They were obviously trying to make a point that Iga’s injury wasn’t legit and she needed rest and wasn’t honest about it....
I'm afraid they're right. Directly after RG there was an extensive discussion: should Iga rather take a rest or play a warmup on grass before Wimbledon. Not a word about any shoulder problems. Finally Team Świątek decided that a rest is more needed - an then suddenly a "shoulder injury" emerged like a jack-in-the-box.
Iga's doing a poor marketing job for herself by such tricks. Few people in the tennis world believe in this injury and an opinion may settle that the new First Racket is a cheap trickster. It would be better if she admitted that she needed a rest after four crazy months, everyone would understand it. She'd have to pay a fine, but she can afford, can't she? Tarnishing your reputation is more costly.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
They were obviously trying to make a point that Iga’s injury wasn’t legit and she needed rest and wasn’t honest about it. From their perspective I understand their point of view and frustration but it’s the reality of a tournament organizers that top players pick and choose their spots in calendar and clearly for Iga this wasn’t a priority.
I hope he understands Iga is not machine. She needs to rest and she deserves a rest like no one else on tour. WTA should be proud of her for supporting women's tennis, she really is a role model. It's kinda ridiculous that it's risky to say "I'm just freaking tired, I need a break". She has to seek - often exaggerated - health problems, which are later recorded in Wikipedia (that's right), even if they are obviously just excuses for the sake of avoiding potential negative consequences from WTA.

That's wider problem. There's simply too little time for regeneration, if you go deep in every tournament like Iga does this year. Biggest events will always have highest priority. I think one or two weeks more between GS would be enough. Maybe next year Iga will come to Berlin and skip Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (I guess German tournaments will suffer this way or another :ROFLMAO: ).Either way it would be cool indeed to see Iga playing on grass so close to Poland. There's plenty of direct trains to Berlin from biggest Polish cities.

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator, Polish & Serbian Kingdo
120,039 Posts
It is definitely a problem that top players withdraw from the tournaments and that’s why some time ago WTA trying to minimise this issue introduced 0 pointers and minimal commitments. After the final Bencic went straight to the doctors to get proper diagnosis to “legitimately” withdraw from this weeks event. I caught her team talking to the supervisor (Mariana Alves) about the rules and that she’s already withdrawn from a few events and they were claiming some were because of COVID which should’ve been treated as an exception. Anyway, just to say it’s a fine line between having a full respectable schedule and staying healthy.

Interestingly Ons told me she knew Iga wouldn’t be playing in Berlin. She didn’t tell me whether they had a direct conversation about that earlier in Paris but she said she knew wouldn’t play any grass events and she ruled out her taking a WC into Eastbourne. They seem to be relatively close (although I couldn’t witness that) and in general Ons was interacting with majority of other players in one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Directly after RG there was an extensive discussion: should Iga rather take a rest or play a warmup on grass before Wimbledon. Not a word about any shoulder problems. Finally Team Świątek decided that a rest is more needed - an then suddenly a "shoulder injury" emerged like a jack-in-the-box.
"Shoulder discomfort". "Shoulder injury" was before Madrid. ;)

Iga's doing a poor marketing job for herself by such tricks. Few people in the tennis world believe in this injury and an opinion may settle that the new First Racket is a cheap trickster. It would be better if she admitted that she needed a rest after four crazy months, everyone would understand it. She'd have to pay a fine, but she can afford, can't she? Tarnishing your reputation is more costly.
Tricks? I think discomfort is pretty good description, but I think it's anything special for Iga. And I don't see a reason why she should pay a fine if there's no need to pay one. Just say what they need to hear. It's her hard earned money, she shouldn't give them back to WTA. And her reputation is perfectly fine. Anyone who follows tennis (even casually) knows how much committed Iga is. And I think organizers understand her reasons perfectly. Communication is a separate matter.

Interestingly Ons told me she knew Iga wouldn’t be playing in Berlin. [...]
Looks like Ons could be a good spy. ;) What was your job during this tournament?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I'm afraid they're right. Directly after RG there was an extensive discussion: should Iga rather take a rest or play a warmup on grass before Wimbledon. Not a word about any shoulder problems. Finally Team Świątek decided that a rest is more needed - an then suddenly a "shoulder injury" emerged like a jack-in-the-box.
For non-mandatory events (and such is Berlin) she wouldn't even have to pay any fines, since some time it's totally legit to cite "change of scheduling" as the reason for withdrawal.

OTOH I think calling Iga a cheap trickster is a bit harsh - it's a common practise among WTA and ATP players, especially just before/ after slams. Just look at the BIG3 - they did it countless times in their careers. For me it's acceptable if a player withdraws before the draw is made. Iga withdrew twice after the draw (Sydney and Madrid) and this IMO is more problematic as it ruins the draw.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I will describe what you wrote bluntly, this is nonsense.
This explanation is a standard procedure that allows players to avoid overstrain and injuries.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The fact that you can't tell the truth without paying a fine perfectly sums up the current system.

Players should be able to say that they're tired if the circumstances support that. And winning 35 matches in a row is definitely one of those circumstances.

281 - 300 of 570 Posts