Tennis Forum banner
321 - 340 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
Trust me, there will be no tournaments in China next year, The geopolitical situation has put that to and end on top of the property bubble bursting in China right now.

Gemdale which organizes the Shenzhen tournament is next to fall under a mountain of debt - google it.
And politics aside - a tournament returning to Wuhan of all places doesn’t seem right. Especially with so many questions / lack of clarity about how and where the virus originated - wild horses couldn’t drag me to that city.

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
Trust me, there will be no tournaments in China next year, The geopolitical situation has put that to an end on top of the property bubble bursting in China right now.

Gemdale which organizes the Shenzhen tournament is next to fall under a mountain of debt - google it.
It's all controlled by the government. If Gemdale is not touching the three red lines they will have bank loans keeping them afloat.

The problem is not that. It's whether China will open the doors for foreigners without the mandatory 14-28 days of quarantine. As of now the restrictions are not being loosen, so we can safely say the January event in Shenzhen is cancelled. With Auckland also cancelled, it really depends on TA to see if a AO swing will be held or just like this year.

And politics aside - a tournament returning to Wuhan of all places doesn’t seem right. Especially with so many questions / lack of clarity about how and where the virus originated - wild horses couldn’t drag me to that city.
I don't think WTA can just dump the location if the tournament organizers and sponsors are telling them we can host it. It's controlled by the licensee.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just read read the article - seems like Shiseido has removed itself as title sponsor and the event will be called the AKRON WTA Finals Guadalajara, maybe we get the organizes of this event to run the tour itself as they have already secured 10 different sponsors for the event in limited time :)

·
*Sesil*
21,970 Posts

Of course. I wonder what would have happened if nobody offered them anything? ☠
Wtf 😂😂

The Mexican business newspaper El Economista has a report with some additional information (WTA Finals: industria tapatía ante el mundo). Some points (with the help of Google Translate; I hope there are no mistakes):
  • They are building a new court for the finals with a capacity of 6500 spectators at the Centro Panamericano de Tenis de Zapopan (same site as the WTA tournament).
  • They are not sure if they can play with full capacity yet. 100% capacity will be difficult and they would be satisfied with 70%.
  • The WTA started to look more intensely for a new host in June and at the end they looked at Guadalajara, Linz, Prague, Los Angeles and Hong Kong.
  • They don't have to pay a fee to the WTA for the right to host the tournament.
Hong Kong - was never an option,
Linz - I suspect was a desperate idea to just turn Linz into the YEC
Prague - is likely however probably had a greater preference for fed cup
Los Angeles - I find it hard to believe from the LA side there was any interest even if there was from WTA

·
Registered
37,367 Posts
Not sure where we're allowed to discuss her these days, but Sweet Emma entered Moscow, so it looks like she does have YEC on her mind.

• Haha
Reactions: ILoveMeat

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just read read the article - seems like Shiseido has removed itself as title sponsor and the event will be called the AKRON WTA Finals Guadalajara, maybe we get the organizes of this event to run the tour itself as they have already secured 10 different sponsors for the event in limited time :)
Will the King be making a special appeareance?

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Much longer rest for the winner of the first semi final with the final starting less than 24 after the 2nd semi final, but at least Europe will be able to watch the first semi at a convenient time.

7 of the 15 singles matches at 8pm here - could have been far, far worse.

·
Registered
17,790 Posts
Steve Simon was the tournament director for Indian Wells since 2004 and it was one of the best managed tournaments. Why is he utterly incompetent now? Sad for the WTA.
Because Tournament director is not the same thing as CEO maybe?

Charlie Passarell and Raymond Moore were the top dogs at Indian Wells. Steve Simon worked under them. Whereas at WTA he became the top dog. It is Melissa Pine or Mickey Lawler who is responsible for the event organizing (mainly YEC) stuff. So you could say those had similar job as Steve Simon at Indian Wells. So Steve is perhaps good at taking orders and exectuing them but maybe not so good at having final authority — being the captain of the ship.

And besides, who said it's just him that's the problem? The ones under him, the presidents / serior vice presidents are not exactly doing any better. They are all missing in action. It's not just Steve who didn't show up in Mexcio. They all "sent their cat" to rep, as the Flemish say.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interesting venue choice. I fear that the altitude shall play havoc with the usual course of events.

·
Registered
37,367 Posts
People are complaining about the timezone for Europeans but the Shenzhen timezone was horrific for those in North America. The only tennis I saw of Shenzhen was the last game of the final, lol.

Anyways, the bigger issue with the YEC is that since Serena stopped showing up, there's just been a total lack of star power at the event. At this point it just functions as a way for top players to get cozy paychecks and a points boost. This year will be by far the worst in a long time since there's a very real possibility 3/4 Slam champions will not be there this year (please make it, Emma🙏 )

Anyways, Mexico at least draws good crowds. Even if the schedule makes no sense and the conditions aren't pretty, there will be an atmosphere during the matches which is sorely needed.
I will say that the first YEC I watched was 2005 and only one of the four slam champions showed up, and she sucked. But I still saw it as a prestigious and enticing event. If the WTA can market it properly, then they should be okay.

·
Registered
26,589 Posts
Guadalajara, Mexico
November ..... average high 80f...26.5c........average low(5am)...54f....12.2c
80 deg in the day and about 60 deg at night....not bad at all.
-
record high 90 deg...record low 37 deg
60 degrees is pretty chilly for a tennis match

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Barty's coach Tyzzer, is in a tizzy over the conditions in Guadalajara.
The conditions on both sides of the court will be the same. None of the contenders played in the March event, so no one has an advantage.
Guadalajara 5,000 above sea level. Thin air. Special tennis balls to compensate for the thin air.
In the March Tournament final earlier this year in Guad SST beat Bouchard 6-2, 7-5. Two very different styles of play and both in the finals.
There were six 3 set matches in the event and no one died.
Both Bouchard and SST went 3 sets in early matches. If Bouchard can go 3 sets in Guad, then all the top players should have no trouble.
TF needs to get Bluetrees to call up Bouchard and ask her about playing conditions in Guad.
The temps in the March event are nearly the same as in the November event.

321 - 340 of 344 Posts