Tennis Forum banner
881 - 888 of 888 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
A few days on, and sometimes I still can’t believe we have a female British GS champion. This compared to the dark day of the late 90’s where our biggest achievement was Sam Smith making the 4th round of Wimbledon 1998. But then in that 4th round she was swatted aside by Tauziat 6/3 6/1.

Over the years we have had so many players where we witnessed mental fragility (Konta, Watson et al) - Emma is in a different league to these players in terms of mental strength. Konta really must be scratching her head, she’s been busting her chops for over a decade now.
Didn't she beat Conchita that tournament?

·
Registered
19,151 Posts
Didn't she beat Conchita that tournament?
Yes, I remember very well I was in the car (family summer holiday in Cornwall) listening to the radio live scores as there was so much excitement around Sam’s win. Of course this upset was during the years where Conchita’s results on grass had started to decline.

Sam never built on this breakthrough and subsequently lost in a string of first round matches - which gave her the label ‘1st round Sam’ in the British media.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Yes, I remember very well I was in the car (family summer holiday in Cornwall) listening to the radio live scores as there was so much excitement around Sam’s win. Of course this upset was during the years where Conchita’s results on grass had started to decline.

Sam never built on this breakthrough and subsequently lost in a string of first round matches - which gave her the label ‘1st round Sam’ in the British media.
The British media can be pretty harsh. But I start to think Emma will be able to handle it. She seems to have a confidence in herself that reminds me of Monica before her life got ruined.

·
Admin
67,447 Posts
This thread is the Raducanu vs. Fernandez result thread, you know where to go if you wanna discuss ATP issues, thank you!

881 - 888 of 888 Posts