Tennis Forum banner
841 - 860 of 888 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
She said the plan was to return to the UK middle of this week and spend some time with family and friends. IW in about 3 weeks away, so who knows whether she'll want to compete or just play a couple of 250s to round out her season. 2022 is probably where the real work begins for her.
theres 2 week quarantine so if she goes back to UK this week then she wont play IW

but there are plenty of tournament in Europe too

Fernandez 100% will play Chicago and IW. im very curious about both girls next tournaments

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
View attachment 198522

Interesting observation from Athletics Track and Field legend, Michael Johnson.

If you read the rest of the thread, he then goes on to justify this with :

"Mental and emotional control seems to be huge in this sport. Fernandez seems to have a unique grasp of it very early. She came from behind on some tennis giants en route to the final. And she doesn’t have the double edged sword of being a British star."

I do think that losing this final, will definitely give her more drive and motivation to succeed going forward. He is correct, the mental side of the sport is huge, perhaps more so than most others. The British star thing might also be true. GB only seems to be able to produce one world-class player at a time in this country, and because of that, there is so much pressure placed on them to succeed.

He also seems to be implying that she'll have the better career over Raducanu BECAUSE of the mental side of her game. I disagree with that point, because nothing that I seen from Raducanu indicated mental weakness or fragility to me. You could argue she wasn't taken to 3 sets so wasn't tested throughout the tournament, but she was down a break in the 2nd against Fernandez and immediately broke back, before breaking again to ultimately win the USO.

Thoughts?
I think it's too soon to make career predictions about teenagers when anything can happen and we don't have enough data points on any of them. Neither of them had done much before this run, and we'll just have to wait and see how they adjust to this massive influx of attention on them, and to the regular grind of the tour. It is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I haven’t watched Raducanu enough to be sure whether she can repeat performances like this, but if she is able to counterpunch and redirect balls down the line with such facility on a regular basis, then I think she’ll be a strong contender for more slams and big titles. Her second serve is impressively meaty too - that takes guts as well as good technique.
I'm fairly confident she will deal with the hype and will focus on her game. A few random obervations I have picked up from the 4 million Emma threads here as well as my own observations ;

- Despite having no "formal" media training she handles it well. Has already mastered the art of not directly answering the question asked, instead she repeats her own narrative ( possible future in politics 😀 ) e.g. they all want to take her back to the Wimby withdrawal. She just bats that away... but I really do think she processed and learn't a lot from that..... GS final in NY and definitely not the mob favourite.

- plays dead bat when she is pressed to talk about her opponent or other players

- Lots of references to her game/technique improving as she played each match in the US

- Have seen/read interviews where she acknowledged that she needed to improve her fitness and strength if she was going to survive the demands on being a full time player.

- Emma says she is learning and growing as she goes on - this is genuine..3 months ago she was preparing for or sitting final high school exams.

Having gushed all that I really do think it would be great for her developement if she is pushed to three sets by a Barty or a non head case Osaka. Would love to see that match up. I think it would be good for Emma if she lost. Don't mean that in a nasty way at all... the way she dealt with it would be part of her learning and developement

·
Registered
60 Posts
You're joking right? Leylah was virtually weeping at the SF presser, that's when I had doubts about her in the final. Emma on the other hand is totally unfazed, even a bizarre injury right at the end of the match couldn't derail her composure.
It was really quite revealing how Emma was just unfazed having her leg dressed, while laylah just metres away was complaining. She did admit she overreacted, but if you want to get ahead you have to the temperament like Emma. Emma looked quite amused even, she just returned to court and finished what she started, such differences. I also saw Djockitch behaving like a baby smashing his racket to pieces. He is supposed to be a role model, he's nothing like it. Emma reminds me of my crush I had on Chris Evert many years ago, she was the ice maiden then. Total respect and racket abuse she never indulged in.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
It was really quite revealing how Emma was just unfazed having her leg dressed, while laylah just metres away was complaining. She did admit she overreacted, but if you want to get ahead you have to the temperament like Emma. Emma looked quite amused even, she just returned to court and finished what she started, such differences. I also saw Djockitch behaving like a baby smashing his racket to pieces. He is supposed to be a role model, he's nothing like it. Emma reminds me of my crush I had on Chris Evert many years ago, she was the ice maiden then. Total respect and racket abuse she never indulged in.
Steffi never smashed her racquet during a match either only the wall in Berlin 1990 but only Monica saw that (according to herself. Steffi's own 1990 version never mentioned Monica as wittness)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Do you still need to go in quarantaine despite being vaccinated?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Is it national celebration week in Britain?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
So wta doesn't go hype but appreciates a great achievement. Well done WTA.

And this post is not to put Emma's achievement down at all but Barbora had to work a lot of years to achieve what she did so should get the credit. Emma will get it anyway.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
So wta doesn't go hype but appreciates a great achievement. Well done WTA.

And this post is not to put Emma's achievement down at all but Barbora had to work a lot of years to achieve what she did so should get the credit. Emma will get it anyway.
it's not like WTA isn't hyping her...they have posting ton of Emma content for a while (even before SF, Final) probably because posting Emma's content has been increasing their engagement

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Well...Klopp did go too far with the overhype but I doubt he knows much about women's tennis

·
Registered
8,808 Posts
Steffi never smashed her racquet during a match either only the wall in Berlin 1990 but only Monica saw that (according to herself. Steffi's own 1990 version never mentioned Monica as wittness)
She hilariously smashed her racquet after WINNING the mp in the 1992 Zurich final against Navratilova:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
it's not like WTA isn't hyping her...they have posting ton of Emma content for a while (even before SF, Final) probably because posting Emma's content has been increasing their engagement
I know they all hype her since wimbledon. I mean she was the face of that 125 chicago tournament already too.
It's more about that it's good that the wta is recognizing Barbora's achievement too.

841 - 860 of 888 Posts