Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Osty makes the impossible seem ordinary, one of the most watchable WTA players ever.
Penko is awesome.

Exactly what the Tour needs in this time of transition (Post-Serena).

Penko is like a supremely entertaining Wrestling Villain.
Part Pugnacious Comedian, Big Part Drama Queen,
Eminently watchable.
And the best part, every now and then she is actually capable of Winning.

Penko is always a great one for Drama Queen Compilation material.

Trying to imagine the WTA's Year-End Drama Queen Compilation without Penko is like trying to imagine the GOAT Debate without Steffi and Serena.
Great to see her win today.

·
Registered
460 Posts
In a weird sort of way, I'm glad Ostapenko won this match. I'd feel like this was even more of a lost opportunity for Iga to at least get to the semis had Ostapenko turned right around after beating Iga and lost to at best, a slightly above average player like Rogers.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Ostapenko in the press conference:
"I was playing mainly against myself, I could have won in 2".
Never truer words have been said. I could have been asleep already since 1h.
fermandez was More diplomatic and reflective, but basically said the same thing.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
51 winners to 46 UEs, 8 DFs, many breaks, a comeback from the dead in the last set ... sounds like a typical day at the office for Oysters :LOL:

·
Registered
Azarenka Kenin Ostapenko Badosa
855 Posts
Based on how fired up Ostapenko became towards the end, she should give a hell of a match to Azarenka.

·
Registered
21,766 Posts
Well Well........

View attachment 199866

Both are GOAT of returning or meh! at their own serve.

Ostapenko should lead 3-0 in 3rd set but that errors smash and forehand ...OMG can't believe she lost those point.

Hugs to Birthday Girls Rogers but this match is on Ostapenko's racket.
Half of Ostapenko's points were winners. Though nearly offset by the errors (still positive W/UE)

·
Registered
20,575 Posts
Jelena is giving this tournament life, and I love her for it. She’s also edging closer to that top 20 return for the first time since she dropped out in 2018. She clearly belongs there and it’s great to see her that bit more consistent with her results in 2021, well the 2nd half more so.

Lovely week for Shelby, I think she’ll have a CHR after this tournament won’t she? She deserves it.

·
Registered
117,411 Posts
I cant imagine Rogers getting thru a draw. Unlike the Raducanu loss after beating Barty, this time she didnt get embarrassed

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
15, 1 more than their last encounter where there were 14 in total.
Still well short of Osta's match against Cibulkova here in 2017, when there were 21 breaks in 28 games (6-4 3-6 6-3 to Domi).

Reactions: ArturJFC

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
What I don't like about Ostapenko's game is her serve. Horrible... :poop::poop:
Why doesn't she work on that?

It would be so important for her game. Such a weakness ...

·
Registered
20,575 Posts
I just watched the longer version of highlights on YouTube. Shelby really wasn’t happy at the end - I’ve never seen her show so much emotion following a loss before.

·
Registered
17,752 Posts
Aljona made it much harder than it needed to be - should have went up 3-0 in the third set,
Nah it was needed. There is no such a thing as "should have" in Osta's game.

Missing is a fully integral part of her repertoire. She's a high roller.

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Shelby Rogers: Look! I beat the flavor of the season in my previous match in a dramatic three set way no less kinda like how she likes to win so you can say that I beat her at her own game. Now you expect me to win another important match after I already gave you that? Shame on you! And you too! I should just get my paycheck now and take a mini vacation.

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Ostapenko: I tried firing up the crowd today but nobody wanted to cheer for me. So I prayed, boy I really prayed in my heart and with all my might and ugliest expression I screamed C'mon to root for myself.

• Love
Reactions: NikolaiMoller

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Draw killer gone as expected. I didn’t watch this but I’m guessing Shelby Halep Williams was nowhere near as clutch and determined as she was against Fernandez.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Rogers will be furious she let 3-1 lead in the final set slip, but credit to Penko for fighting back and continuing to play aggressively throughout.

You see that ground game and you can see why she's won at Roland Garros, but then you see that serve, and you start to understand why she's been up and down since. Azarenka will be licking her lips.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
What did she do at the slams.
What did half the Top 10 do at the slams ? At least Jelena has the excuse that she isn’t even Top 20 again yet.

With that being said, she’s gotten to the 3R in 2 of her last 4 Slams….something she had only done twice prior since her Wimbledon 2018 SF, so even this is progress for her.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts