Tennis Forum banner

301 - 320 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
31,846 Posts
You just know all the pro athletes will get a vaccine before the elderly, the cancer patients and anyone else at risk. That's a gamble because interest in celebrities/sports has dropped by half in 2020 and it will be another huge turn off in the public's eyes.

·
Your fav could never....
9,133 Posts
Aussies are being bits of pussies aren't they ? ..

on a more serious note..I totally understand that they would want their island/country/continent to keep being as virus-free as possible, but there probably were ways to handle this ... I mean, the US and Europe managed to do it without too many incidents ; albeit with way worse Covid-related stats and atmosphere... surely it would have been possible in Australia too ... But I won't blame them with their policy of putting safety first- it's just a shame for tennis fans (and players) if this is getting cancelled ...or even postponed as the calendar will be a mess - ok, it would have been a mess anyway ...
Sorry but no one from Europe or US have any right to tell us how we should be handling this pandemic. You voided that right when you all flouted social distancing and health advice to go on holidays and visit family and friends.

Even tennis is not that important and as much as I love going to the AO, protecting our vulnerable population is more important. It is just a tournament after all.

·
Registered
114,399 Posts
If the politicians cancel the AO, maybe WTA & ATP can convince China to take it. That could be the best thing for both tours to get China fully involved

·
Registered
590 Posts
If the politicians cancel the AO, maybe WTA & ATP can convince China to take it. That could be the best thing for both tours to get China fully involved
Its not being cancelled. The issue here isn’t that the Aussie government is afraid of the virus. They were afraid of the optics of letting players and coaches etc in while citizens were waiting to get back. I think many are misinterpreting the decision that happened. They will probably just slide the AO to a 25/1/21 or 1/2/21 start date. If they did anything else I would be surprised

·
Registered
52,820 Posts
Sorry but no one from Europe or US have any right to tell us how we should be handling this pandemic. You voided that right when you all flouted social distancing and health advice to go on holidays and visit family and friends.

Even tennis is not that important and as much as I love going to the AO, protecting our vulnerable population is more important. It is just a tournament after all.
it certainly wasn't my intention to tell anyone how to handle things .
I said I understood and didn't blame them for the safety first policy

and living in quite an isolated part of France where things weren't as bad as some other places, I found it ridiculous to allow people to travel for holiday and risk propagate the virus further and faster .
My frustration about (having no tennis , selfishly , and ) the whole situation is what one could read as a first intent in my post but if anything, I actually admire how Australian managed to keep the virus at bay

·
Premium Member
27,386 Posts
I would rather my country and it’s citizens be looked after and protected before anything else. If that means delaying the tournament by a few months then so be it. It’s a game...it’s not the end of the world. I also don’t think we should be letting players and their teams in before all the Australian citizens who want to get home can get back. Australia and NZ has managed the pandemic well thus far...it’s best not to rush something thru if that means cutting corners and making rash decisions at the 11th hour. It’s hot in Aus until April so we have plenty of time to host the tournament during calendar gaps.

·
Banned
487 Posts
I would rather my country and it’s citizens be looked after and protected before anything else. If that means delaying the tournament by a few months then so be it. It’s a game...it’s not the end of the world. I also don’t think we should be letting players and their teams in before all the Australian citizens who want to get home can get back. Australia and NZ has managed the pandemic well thus far...it’s best not to rush something thru if that means cutting corners and making rash decisions at the 11th hour. It’s hot in Aus until April so we have plenty of time to host the tournament during calendar gaps.
Why are they outside in a pandemic anyways?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Melbourne tends to be more mild in March and April so it should be better tennis weather than January.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Why are they outside in a pandemic anyways?
Because they got stuck? The Australian government initially told them NOT to come back to Australia, but then the borders closed and flights became impossible (flights are cancelled all the time and are extremely expensive). Then quotas were introduced on how many people could come in at any time. THEN Melbourne cancelled its hotel quarantine program so the number was reduced further.

Reactions: Matmagix

·
Registered
9,021 Posts

Because they got stuck? The Australian government initially told them NOT to come back to Australia, but then the borders closed and flights became impossible (flights are cancelled all the time and are extremely expensive). Then quotas were introduced on how many people could come in at any time. THEN Melbourne cancelled its hotel quarantine program so the number was reduced further.
Are there also many foreigners stuck in Australia because of reduced outbound flights? I wonder how both sides are surviving especially if they are students, backpackers and the like with limited funds.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Question. Daria Gavrilova is in Melbourne training. She played the french open so how did she get back to Australia if they weren't letting Australians in the country.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Question. Daria Gavrilova is in Melbourne training. She played the french open so how did she get back to Australia if they weren't letting Australians in the country.
They are letting people return but only in small numbers at a time.

·
Registered
37,475 Posts
Australians are allowed to return, the problem is that most aren't rich enough to fly Business and their economy seats are constantly getting cancelled. With the existing quotas, airlines have to buy seats from the governments. Depending on how many people are in the area that people are coming from, it is more or less difficult to get back. From my understanding, returning through Qatar pretty much requires a Business Class seat as the flight is so long that the Airline can't afford to fly a plane of say 80 people just on Economy fares. But if you're a family of four living in Europe, you might not be able to come up with 60K+ just to fly everyone home, plus pay 10K+ for the quarantine once you get back. It will only be when all states significantly raise the amount of returning passengers they accept that the majority of Australians stuck overseas will actually be able to return home, until then it will only be the rich.

It isn't that difficult for people to leave Australia anymore. I don't think any other countries have quotas so most airlines are flying back their home countries with people of all ticket classes.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Are there also many foreigners stuck in Australia because of reduced outbound flights? I wonder how both sides are surviving especially if they are students, backpackers and the like with limited funds.
International students, backpackers etc can leave whenever they can get a flight. There is no guideline on when they will be allowed back in though. However, things are getting back to normal here and many people in that category are still working etc here. I know many people in this situation.

Flights are reduced here as they are in much of the world.

It was a bit difficult for regular Australian citizens to leave the country a few months ago though. I believe you need to apply for some kind of permit or whatever and you need to confirm that you'll be gone for a certain period of time (I believe it's a minimum of 3 months but could be wrong). However, it's become easier in recent times - I know a few people who've left recently.

Reactions: EkVraNaamEnVan

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #318

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
There are still a lot of these people stuck in New Zealand because they can't afford to fly home. The government has already extended everyone's visa or work permit, and will be doing so again from 1st December when they introduce a new emergency benefit payment for those people who are desperately short of money (which is most of them).

Most overseas seasonal workers in the hospitality and tourism industries (.i.e. European backpackers) lost their jobs early on due to Covid-19 and, amongst those who couldn't get home, many have been living hand to mouth for quite a while. The irony of their situation is that many agricultural businesses (orchards and fruit and vegetable growers) are screaming for their own seasonal workers to be allowed in so that they can get all their crops picked before they spoil. Whilst a lot of this work is not highly skilled, there are still many jobs that need to be performed by trained personnel - and nearly all of those are stuck overseas, most in the Pacific Islands. As many of the growers have said, this is NOT work where people can be trained in a few hours or a few days.

301 - 320 of 720 Posts