Tennis Forum banner

281 - 300 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
The top US covid heath official stated that the last people to be vaccinated would be the healthy people between 20 and 30.
This would include about 90% of the WTA players.
The drugs would need to be approved, then production and distribution ramped up. It would probably take 6 months to get everyone vaccinated that wants a shot. Some of the vaccines require two shots, which complicates things. Other vaccines require that they be stored at -72 deg C.
I am sure that if tennis players have been given travel privileges denied to others, then they could also get vaccines. I am sure super rich, world leaders etc, will get their hands on vaccines before the general populations do. They may have to pay a lot but I am sure they can wangle it.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Australian Open could be delayed as organisers come to grips with the impact of the Victorian government's decision to accept return travellers and recommence hotel quarantine in Melbourne next month.

A source close to the planning process confirmed the government and stakeholders were working towards clarifying when the tournament would start within 72 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Just catching up with all this AO drama, very unfortunate if the tournament gets delayed...

And after so many here assured us that skies were clear and everything was going to go smoothly :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52,820 Posts
Aussies are being bits of pussies aren't they ? ..

on a more serious note..I totally understand that they would want their island/country/continent to keep being as virus-free as possible, but there probably were ways to handle this ... I mean, the US and Europe managed to do it without too many incidents ; albeit with way worse Covid-related stats and atmosphere... surely it would have been possible in Australia too ... But I won't blame them with their policy of putting safety first- it's just a shame for tennis fans (and players) if this is getting cancelled ...or even postponed as the calendar will be a mess - ok, it would have been a mess anyway ...

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Not surprised. It's start to looking like St. Petersburg (if it will stay held like the ATP event this year) will kick off next year.

-
-
-
-
St. Petersburg
Fed Cup
-
-
Dubai
-
-
Melbourne/Melbourne
Melbourne/Melbourne
AO
AO
Melbourne
Charleston (?)
-
Stuttgart/Istanbul
Prague
-
Roma
Strasbourg
RG
RG

·
Registered
377 Posts
The way Australia is looking at the Covid-crisis, there won't be an AO next year. There are still thousands of citizens stranded abroad, the first planes that picked some up landed in oktober (!). With a view to eliminate the virus, the nation will isolate itself from the rest of the world for as long as it takes. All these suggestions regarding playing the whole swing in Melbourne and/or moving dates is to keep the plebs / sponsors busy and hopeful. And I predicted earlier that the players will withdraw upon learning of this mess, and those signals I've already seen in the previous few messages...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
As much as I miss tennis, it seems more sensible to wait it out until the vaccines are distributed.
Nowhere is in a great place at the moment.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Australia isn’t in a great place? I though if there is any place on earth where the situaționale is unde control.... it’s Australia . I get Why they don’t do it , but it’s not because of Covid cases alone , it’s more so about the consequences of Covid when it comes to the Australians that didn’t Manage to get back in

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Lets look on the positive side if this happens, Bianca will have more time to get fit.;)
If she ain't fit by January will she ever be?

LOL what utter incompetence. They had all the time in the world to organise, prepare and coordinate... still failed.
Were they supposed to force the goverment to allow quarantine in December?

Aussies are being bits of pussies aren't they ? ..

on a more serious note..I totally understand that they would want their island/country/continent to keep being as virus-free as possible, but there probably were ways to handle this ... I mean, the US and Europe managed to do it without too many incidents ; albeit with way worse Covid-related stats and atmosphere... surely it would have been possible in Australia too ... But I won't blame them with their policy of putting safety first- it's just a shame for tennis fans (and players) if this is getting cancelled ...or even postponed as the calendar will be a mess - ok, it would have been a mess anyway ...
Your stats are so bad you'd have no idea if RG caused an outbreak nor would it make much of a difference if it did.

·
Banned
487 Posts
According to The Age" Tournament planning is in chaos but meetings between organisers and the state government in the next 72 hours aim to finalise the timing." So we will find out for sure in next 2 daYS

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
-

281 - 300 of 720 Posts