Tennis Forum banner

261 - 280 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
I prefer the postponement or cancellation at this point.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Victorians seem very attached to having AO during school holidays which makes sense with the ball boys/families that attend, but realistically if spectators are reduced and players don't need as many ball boys there's no reason it can't be in February/March when Doha/Dubai are. Pushing back Indian Wells/Miami (if they will even go ahead with everything in the US right now) also wouldn't be the worst thing. Players showed that they're willing to play Cincinnati/USO/Rome/Paris pretty much back to back, so I think it could all fit together.
ruins the whole vibe.AO wont feel like AO anymore.

·
Registered
31,890 Posts
ruins the whole vibe.AO wont feel like AO anymore.
Obviously true and understandable but it is a very weird year after all. RG also didn't necessarily feel like RG being held in October and yet it was fine and I'm glad it happened. And unlike RG, conditions wouldn't be that much worse and the courts would not play completely different.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Victorians seem very attached to having AO during school holidays which makes sense with the ball boys/families that attend, but realistically if spectators are reduced and players don't need as many ball boys there's no reason it can't be in February/March when Doha/Dubai are. Pushing back Indian Wells/Miami (if they will even go ahead with everything in the US right now) also wouldn't be the worst thing. Players showed that they're willing to play Cincinnati/USO/Rome/Paris pretty much back to back, so I think it could all fit together.
It's also because of the weather and the fact that a lot of people are still in holiday mode after NY/Christmas, as opposed to Feb/March when the weather can sometimes be even hotter and people are back in work/school mode.

But honestly at this point I think it should either be postponed to Feb/March or cancelled. Melbournians are psychologically wrecked after this year and the thought of all these players coming - especially while there are still Australians overseas - is terrifying.

It's not like this was going to be a normal event anyway. There won't be the long lines, people moving around everywhere, freedom between courts etc.

Reactions: Matmagix

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Obviously true and understandable but it is a very weird year after all. RG also didn't necessarily feel like RG being held in October and yet it was fine and I'm glad it happened. And unlike RG, conditions wouldn't be that much worse and the courts would not play completely different.
Temperature should be more favourable although I'm no expert on Melbourne weather at that time of year. Maybe the heat would be replaced with cyclonic wind instead?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The AO won't feel like the standard AO anyway with majority of fans not attending. The more I think about it, the more I support the idea of a postponement to March or April - by then there will have been more time to get stranded Aussies back into the country so allowing players in won't be political hypocrisy, and we may even be able to have more fans attend as well if cases stay low or if there is substantial progress on a vaccine.

·
Registered
17,883 Posts
Just as I though - best would be to move Doha/Dubai to January and Miami to February. Indian Wells in March. And then Australia.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Having lived in Australia for awhile April is risky for Melbourne unless its early on. By the time you get to late April Melbourne weather can be quite nasty.

·
Registered
17,883 Posts
^^ Well we experienced that on French Open and in Melbourne we have 3 courts with roofs...

I think the proposed schedule could be:

18.01 - Dubai
25.01 - Doha
01.02 - St.Petersbourg
08.02 - Miami
15.02 - Miami
22.02 - Indian Wells
01.03 - Indian Wells
08.03 - week off (possibly quarantine)
15.03 - week off (possibly quarantine)
22.03 - Brisbane, Hobart
29.03 - Adelaide
05.04 - Australian Open
12.04 - Australian Open
19.04 - Charleston
26.04 - Fed Cup finals, play-offs, zone events
03.05 - Stuttgart
10.05 - Madrid
17.05 - Rome
24.05 - Strasbourg
31.05 - French Open
07.06 - French Open

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Incredibly stupid covid-19 decision proving that if you are dumber than dumb, you to can be a top political leader.
Pennsylvania Gov Tinkerbrain Tom Wolf's office issued an order that all football players must wear a face mask covering the nose and mouth when playing in the game at all times.
Playing football requires a tremendous amount of energy and oxygen. The face masks would greatly restrict the amount of oxygen the players need. This would result in oxygen deprivation in the players and possibly players passing out during the game. During normal times all college and pro teams have oxygen bottles on the sideline for players that need some oxygen to recover.
Someone must have hit Tinkerbrain Tom over the head with a big stick with 'common sense' written on it. Two days after issuing the order that players must wear a face mask covering the nose and mouth when on the field, the Governors office revised the order. Now players must wear a mask, but it can be pulled down below the nose and mouth.
What stupidity. A face mask pulled down to the chin is a nothing.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
^^ Well we experienced that on French Open and in Melbourne we have 3 courts with roofs...

I think the proposed schedule could be:

18.01 - Dubai
25.01 - Doha
01.02 - St.Petersbourg
08.02 - Miami
15.02 - Miami
22.02 - Indian Wells
01.03 - Indian Wells
08.03 - week off (possibly quarantine)
15.03 - week off (possibly quarantine)
22.03 - Brisbane, Hobart
29.03 - Adelaide
05.04 - Australian Open
12.04 - Australian Open
19.04 - Charleston
26.04 - Fed Cup finals, play-offs, zone events
03.05 - Stuttgart
10.05 - Madrid
17.05 - Rome
24.05 - Strasbourg
31.05 - French Open
07.06 - French Open
Too late for January as they will not have enough time to prepare. They have not officially postponed AO and it is already nearly end of November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54,291 Posts
Gavrilova’s winning matches again? :p

(Yes yes I know she won a round at RG and a few ITF matches before that!)
She lost today against Yadlapalli lol

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
The Guardian is saying Feb/March now..... Australian Open set to be pushed into February or March because of Covid-19

Maybe they should just scrap Indian Wells and Miami for 2021 and put the Australian season in that slot. The USA's Covid situation is getting truly appalling with almost 2000 deaths yesterday, far worse than when they were cancelled earlier this year. Doha and Dubai make sense before the AO - many flights from Europe to Australia stop in these places en route anyway so it would make sense to have these events first.

Delaying the start of the season could mean that players could get vaccinated before the season starts so the fears of Covid spreading by them are limited.

·
Registered
17,883 Posts
Delaying the start of the season could mean that players could get vaccinated before the season starts so the fears of Covid spreading by them are limited.
Dunno how US politics works but maybe Biden could cancel all the big sports events so IW and Miami would not happen afterall..

When it comes to vaccines, EU is supposed to get their vaccines in January. However, healthcare is supposed to get them first so not sure if tennis players will be prioritized. Maybe if WTA and ATP made the deal with bigpharma..

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Hi, can I ask for The Twitter Link, to that info?
I couldn't find that tweet, but here's from a news article:

"The Open’s junior events have been postponed, with officials telling participants on Saturday that it had been pushed back due to travel restrictions because of coronavirus.

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley and Australian Open juniors tournament director Francis Soyer announced the postponement in a letter to players, with an aim to hold a replacement tournament in 2021.
“Australia has had relatively few cases of COVID-19 … and this has been achieved through strict biosecurity measures which include limiting international travellers into Australia, and mandatory 14-day quarantine for all international arrivals,” the letter read.
“These limits along with the increased biosecurity requirements have unfortunately made it extremely difficult for us to run a junior event at the 2021 Australian Open.”

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
The Guardian is saying Feb/March now..... Australian Open set to be pushed into February or March because of Covid-19
The top US covid heath official stated that the last people to be vaccinated would be the healthy people between 20 and 30.
This would include about 90% of the WTA players.
The drugs would need to be approved, then production and distribution ramped up. It would probably take 6 months to get everyone vaccinated that wants a shot. Some of the vaccines require two shots, which complicates things. Other vaccines require that they be stored at -72 deg C.

261 - 280 of 720 Posts