Tennis Forum banner

641 - 657 of 657 Posts

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
I’d happily see the WTA finals played out in Czech Republic / Hawaii if it means another week of tennis. But it would be odd if Ostrava and WTA Finals would be the only events left!
Just having the WTA Finals after Ostrava would also limit the playing opportunities for the players outside the top 10, as the WTA finals would be an exclusive tournament to only those who qualify. If the WTA is having locations bidding for the WTA finals, then they should have no problem having locations bid for the tournament licenses of the other cancelled Asian swing events.

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
They said that Shenzhen and the race to Shenzhen were canceled. They never said that the Finals were canceled. And they never said that the race itself was canceled
That's just wordplay. WTA announced the cancellations.

The $14 million WTA Finals, contested by the top eight singles players and eight doubles teams in the world, moved to Shenzhen last year after being held in Singapore since 2014. "We'll look forward to 2021 and be back," Simon told Reuters this week when asked about the prospect of the Finals being cancelled.

"We are extremely disappointed that our world-class events in China will not take place this year," stated Steve Simon, WTA Chairman and CEO. "Unfortunately, this decision also includes the cancellation of the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen and as result, the corresponding Porsche Race to Shenzhen. We do however respect the decision that has been made and are eager to return to China as soon as possible next season."

Porsche Race Singles is equivalent to Porsche Race to Shenzhen: WTA Race Singles Ranking Page

Sure WTA can now create a new name for the Race and call it Race to Prague or something else if it fits your agenda. They can also revive the Final elsewhere after calling it off and said we will return in 2021.

·
Registered
31,866 Posts
Just having the WTA Finals after Ostrava would also limit the playing opportunities for the players outside the top 10, as the WTA finals would be an exclusive tournament to only those who qualify. If the WTA is having locations bidding for the WTA finals, then they should have no problem having locations bid for the tournament licenses of the other cancelled Asian swing events.
The YEC is more lucrative. And it's more embarrassing for them to not have one. I agree with the point about players outside of the top ten though; it's a shame that the schedule for those players is in shambles but I'm not sure what the WTA can really do about it. The YEC at least has the potential to make money while International tournaments and ITFs normally don't I believe.

Reactions: larryd

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
The YEC is more lucrative. And it's more embarrassing for them to not have one. I agree with the point about players outside of the top ten though; it's a shame that the schedule for those players is in shambles but I'm not sure what the WTA can really do about it. The YEC at least has the potential to make money while International tournaments and ITFs normally don't I believe.
The WTA can still make money from Premier level events if they let cities bid for the Premier licenses from Tokyo and the now cancelled Kremlin Cup. That's how Ostrava came to be as it bought rights from Guangzhou, and that field is loaded. And if the field is loaded for that tournament, it can happen other locations as well. They could even bid for one year license for the P5 rights from Wuhan. Frankly, IMO, Premiers in indoor tournaments in Europe would have a much better atmosphere than anything we've seen in China.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Ugh not the same people who didn’t want the U.S. Open and Roland Garros to go ahead now complaining that there have not been enough events and don’t see the point of WTA Finals...

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
The news about the possible restore of the finals come from an unreliable source, any way would be in line with the absolute dumbness of WTA.
Think about the situation: after RG there is ATM only Ostrava for sure, a premier with a fairly high cut-ott, currently 24.
So the top player, more or less the seeds of the RG, will have the opportunity to gain even more points, no point expiring, a new tournament so the rule of "the best of" doesn't apply. A big advantage to the detriment of all other "who cares" player.
If there is also a final (a stupid decision is like a magnet for WTA) there will be another flood of points and money to the top 8 players, with many of the finalist of last year still keeping all their points, so in the ranking there will be the points of two winners, and so on.
As a result the gap between the top players and the all the other "who cares" will be incredibly big.
It seems such a stupid thing that WTA will be irresistibly attracted to.

·
Registered
76,840 Posts
My point was to bring the Auckland event and Australian swing forward cause you can clearly see that no city/country in Europe is interested in holding series of indoor swing for the women except the lone Ostrava (and maybe Linz). Tournaments don't appear in a miracle and you need time to get it done (especially there are COVID-19 concerns). If you need 14 mandatory days then it's unlikely anything to be scheduled because TA is not going to move the calendar for just WTA. Auckland will likely be scrapped if the 14 day mandatory quarantine is in place.

Also, countries like Australia requiring mandatory 14 days means likely New Zealand and other Asian Pacific countries will need 14 days as well. It may become a norm. How many 14 days are there and who will pay for the food and lodging for those 14 days?

Like you said the ATP Tour is ending on 22 of November, so there is really just 3 weeks to bring Australian lead up events forward (not 6 or more cause TA will not just move for WTA). If you are still thinking about the European indoors I'd say give up. WTA isn't doing anything and it seems like most countries are either not interested or not in the right stage to host any events due to COVID-19.

Nov 23
Nov 30
Dec 7
Dec 14 Limoges (quarantine starts this week if you are traveling to Australia for week 1 events)

If New Zealand cannot work out a deal with Australia I'd say to just move Auckland forward and hope the Kiwis can get a swing going there. Otherwise I don't see many players traveling there to just play for one event and WTA can just cancel Auckland. I'd say WTA should try to negotiate to bring the Australian events forward and create a longer swing. For example:

Nov 23 -
Nov 30 -
Dec 7 Darwin W25
Dec 14 Limoges 125K / Newcastle W25
Dec 21 Sydney 125K / Cairns W60
Dec 28 Gold Coast 125K / Canberra W60
Jan 4 Brisbane Premier / Perth International / Bendigo W25
Jan 11 Adelaide Premier / Hobart International / Toowooba W25
Jan 18 Australian Open / Hobart W15
Jan 25 Australian Open / Burnie W60
Feb 1 Launceston W25
There will be no more Australian ITF tournaments in 2020, so this is not possible.

·
Registered
31,414 Posts
Barbara Rittner (tournament director for the two ATP events in Cologne) just said on German Eurosport that the plan was to have one ATP and one WTA tournament in Cologne but because there was no reaction/cooperation by the WTA, the agency decided to have two ATP tournaments instead.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Barbara Rittner (tournament director for the two ATP events in Cologne) just said on German Eurosport that the plan was to have one ATP and one WTA tournament in Cologne but because there was no reaction/cooperation by the WTA, the agency decided to have two ATP tournaments instead.
Yes, the WTA was overall very slow :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I'm so annoyed omg

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I wonder if players are aware of what's going on behind the scenes. They keep complaining that they don't have enough opportunities to play but do nothing about it. The solution is simple: Get Rid of Steve Simon. Players have the power to do it.

·
Registered
31,711 Posts
LMAO! Can the players sue or something? They're always fined if they mumble something incomprehensible but their own tour can't be bothered to set up new tournaments.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
I wonder if Rittner relayed this information to her German players, like Kerber, Goerges, Petkovic and Siegemund?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If the W.T.A go to Cologne next year asking for a tournament, they should tell Steve Simon to get stuffed, you had your chance.

Really useless.

641 - 657 of 657 Posts