Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
54,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
* Week 1 starts 6th Jan (31st Dec in 2019) and that tournaments up to Stuttgart start 5 or 6 days later than in 2019; as do tournaments from San Jose onwards.

* All Internationals will be 32 MD/24Q/16 D with the exception of Auckland (32Q) and Washington and Shenzhen (both 16Q).

Week 2
Sydney Premier moves to Adelaide (30/24/16)

Week 6
St Petersburg Premier & Hua Hin International follow Fed Cup; St Petersburg has a 24Q

Week 7/8
Dubai and Doha switch status – Dubai P700 (28 MD/16D) and Doha P5 (56 MD/28 D) – Both have a Saturday final with Doha Main Draw additionally starting on Sunday

Week 9
Monterrey International moves before Indian Wells, opposite a new International in Lyon, France

Week 14
Bogota International opposite Charleston

Week 16
Lugano International opposite Stuttgart (no tournament in Istanbul)

Week 24
Birmingham Premier moves to Berlin (32/24/16); Mallorca International moves to Birmingham

Week 25
Additional international tournament TBA

Week 34
New International in Albany, NY
Second International TBA

Week 39
Tashkent International discontinued, moved to Lyon (Week 9)

·
Registered
17,635 Posts
Re: WTA 2020 calendar news: Adelaide replaces Sydney and Lyon replaces Tashkent

Please tell me, that Lyon is not randomly keeping the late september spot vs. Wuhan.

·
Registered
29,828 Posts

20 years of tennis in Tashkent for nothing. Shocking news.

Reactions: Sammo and KCatty

·
Registered
4,744 Posts

It'll be a shame for a country like Uzbekistan to lose it's only event, but I always did wonder why France put on significantly fewer events than it's fellow Grand Slam countries, especially when you consider the amount of ATP events it hosts.

·
Banned
5,263 Posts

Rad-alaide! The city of churches if I'm not mistaken. I went there once I think, was very drunk, lots of winetastings... Can't seem to recall too much about the city unfortunately :/

Sad about Sydney but maybe it will be a little cooler in Adelaide during this early part of the month? Does anyone know what venue it will be played at?

I hope Lyon can step up with some outfits for the players to compensate the loss of Tashkent

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

Not Tashkent :crying: Is Lyon going to be an indoor carpet? :hearts:

·
Registered
16,079 Posts

Rad-alaide! The city of churches if I'm not mistaken. I went there once I think, was very drunk, lots of winetastings... Can't seem to recall too much about the city unfortunately :/

Sad about Sydney but maybe it will be a little cooler in Adelaide during this early part of the month? Does anyone know what venue it will be played at?

I hope Lyon can step up with some outfits for the players to compensate the loss of Tashkent
Memorial Drive https://www.tennis.com.au/news/2019/02/02/revamped-memorial-drive-to-host-international-tennis-in-2020 . Tennis Australia is going to revamp the venue

·
Registered
8,602 Posts

It's just as hot as Melbourne but less humid than Sydney. I'd say Adelaide conditions (dry heat) are closer to Melbourne than Sydney.

What I like is that the tennis centre is actually right next to the city centre like how the Australian Open is, unlike Sydney where it's played over an hour from downtown Sydney.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

Sounds about right :rolls:

·
Registered
25,598 Posts

RIP Tashkent Slam. So many great champions over the years

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

Probably for the best.

·
You are not likeable,but I like you
4,265 Posts

Tashkent,No!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,924 Posts

It's amazing how the Sydney event has declined over the years.

When I was a kid, I used to watch it on TV in the foyer at clubs when I was playing junior tennis tournaments. It was always so exciting and had great matchups - I'll always remember the Hingis/Seles vs. Williams/Williams R1 doubles clash!

In a city like Sydney, which has so much rain (especially in summer), it's just unfeasible to have a big tournament in 2019. I mean, Sydney has literally double the annual rainfall of Melbourne and Melbourne has 3 indoor stadiums. I know you can't compare a slam to anything else, but even a Brisbane style semi-roof over at least one of the courts would have been somewhat beneficial.

Big shame to see it go, but maybe Adelaide will do better. Unfortunately, Adelaide doesn't have a reputation of being a very...exciting...city, but the more similar climate should be good prep for the AO.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

About me or Adelaide?!? Lol
I didn't realise how incredibly shady that sounded :lol: I was actually referring to me and my times there but we could extend that to you too :hi5:

·
Registered
16,079 Posts

It's amazing how the Sydney event has declined over the years.

When I was a kid, I used to watch it on TV in the foyer at clubs when I was playing junior tennis tournaments. It was always so exciting and had great matchups - I'll always remember the Hingis/Seles vs. Williams/Williams R1 doubles clash!

In a city like Sydney, which has so much rain (especially in summer), it's just unfeasible to have a big tournament in 2019. I mean, Sydney has literally double the annual rainfall of Melbourne and Melbourne has 3 indoor stadiums. I know you can't compare a slam to anything else, but even a Brisbane style semi-roof over at least one of the courts would have been somewhat beneficial.

Big shame to see it go, but maybe Adelaide will do better. Unfortunately, Adelaide doesn't have a reputation of being a very...exciting...city, but the more similar climate should be good prep for the AO.
This is about Sydney becoming the main city for the new ATP Cup.

Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre will benefit from a $50.5 million upgrade – including a roof over Ken Rosewall Arena.
https://www.sydneyinternational.com.au/2019/01/ken-rosewall-arena-to-get-a-roof-in-2019/

Sydney to host inaugural ATP Cup finals next year
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/07/sydney-to-host-inaugural-atp-cup-finals-next-year

·
Registered
4,924 Posts

This is about Sydney becoming the main city for the new ATP Cup.

Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre will benefit from a $50.5 million upgrade – including a roof over Ken Rosewall Arena.
https://www.sydneyinternational.com.au/2019/01/ken-rosewall-arena-to-get-a-roof-in-2019/

Sydney to host inaugural ATP Cup finals next year
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/07/sydney-to-host-inaugural-atp-cup-finals-next-year

Oh yeah. Wow. I totally forgot about that :SNE:

1 - 20 of 584 Posts