Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
23,541 Posts
After Wimbledon 2013, this slam truly felt like the one she let go.
But that's tennis.
Curious to see how her year goes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
is it correct to expect something from petra after all the unfortunate traumas she has experienced? her comeback is literally a miracle and a gift and i am trying to enjoy every moment of her tennis without expectation.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Yes, we all for sure agree that after that horrible accident, we're fortunate that Petra is even playing tennis again.

But as a long time fan who has been following her for so many years now, I also know that Petra's main motivation to play at this point is to win more slams. She knows she's not getting any younger and she def wants to have family, kids, etc.

Petra has put a lot of work off the court to refine her game and improve her fitness, but I just think if she doesn't win a slam this year - I'm not sure how much more motivated she'll be to continue. Right now, it's clear to me that it has nothing to do w/ her physical game. Her physical game falls apart because of where she is mentally on the court. I actually think she needs to hire a new mental coach/sports psychologist or something of that sort.

I mean, she wants to stay aggressive on her serve and return, but that strategy is going against her when she's feeling the nerves or she's feeling uncomfortable by her opponent - we saw this in so many matches last year including the AO final against Osaka and we saw this again against Barty in the QF this year. I actually think she needs to go back to basics and just play high % tennis - get that 2nd serve in so you don't commit a DF...get that return in play so you're at least still in the point. By hitting DFs and returns out of play, she is literally giving away games to her opponent in these big matches.

Again, I'm just not sure how much longer she's willing to play if she doesn't win a slam this year.

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
Yes, we all for sure agree that after that horrible accident, we're fortunate that Petra is even playing tennis again.

But as a long time fan who has been following her for so many years now, I also know that Petra's main motivation to play at this point is to win more slams. She knows she's not getting any younger and she def wants to have family, kids, etc.

Petra has put a lot of work off the court to refine her game and improve her fitness, but I just think if she doesn't win a slam this year - I'm not sure how much more motivated she'll be to continue. Right now, it's clear to me that it has nothing to do w/ her physical game. Her physical game falls apart because of where she is mentally on the court. I actually think she needs to hire a new mental coach/sports psychologist or something of that sort.

I mean, she wants to stay aggressive on her serve and return, but that strategy is going against her when she's feeling the nerves or she's feeling uncomfortable by her opponent - we saw this in so many matches last year including the AO final against Osaka and we saw this again against Barty in the QF this year. I actually think she needs to go back to basics and just play high % tennis - get that 2nd serve in so you don't commit a DF...get that return in play so you're at least still in the point. By hitting DFs and returns out of play, she is literally giving away games to her opponent in these big matches.

Again, I'm just not sure how much longer she's willing to play if she doesn't win a slam this year.
Yes. Petra's making the same mistakes today (poor ROS; serving; moving forward, etc.) that she made in 2013+ when her downward spiral at majors started till now with a few exceptions. You would have thought she finally overcame that with the [recent nemesis] Maria Sakkari match. In that one, she played so poorly as he's done many times in majors against "lesser opponents," where Petra's inexplicably more nervous than them. However she managed to overcome her early dreadful play there for the unexpected comeback win. So, one would have thought that victory could have "set her free" and her game for the rest of the tournament. Nonetheless, it was for naught against Barty, which was certainly winnable, particularly in the first set-obviously.

Seeing, who beat Barty then won the final couldn't have made Petra feel any better. Then again, maybe not?

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
is it correct to expect something from petra after all the unfortunate traumas she has experienced? her comeback is literally a miracle and a gift and i am trying to enjoy every moment of her tennis without expectation.
Great point. And we certainly understand what you're saying.

Conversely, Petra's been quite poor at majors for the majority of the last 7 1/4 seasons. How she played against Sakkari and Barty were largely no different, except this time Petra won the Sakkari match, one she lost every time in a major she played that bad against a "lesser" opponent" I can recall. So, Bravo To Her for the victory.

Unfortunately, the Barty match was another mess. So, you just wish Petra the best, and hope she can win one or a few more of these things, without putting too much pressure on herself, and/or waiting too long to do it.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
The "sun is setting" on Petra K at age 30 in March. She was the best talent at the YEC last year, but didn't win a single match..........telling. The underachieving Madison Keys handily dismissed her at Brisbane this year and went away in the 2nd vs Barty at the AO. She remains undisciplined, error-prone and hasn't matured to be a consistent player in her prime, irrespective of that dastardly assault. At this point one doesn't have a clue how she'll perform in a match and it doesn't matter "who" the opponent is, for she can lose to anybody by her own hand. She still blasts her forehand 20 feet beyond the baseline on 2nd serve returns, or sitters, having no control of the shot, blow overheads and not execute when it matters. Sure she can devastate an opponent in one match, giving one a false sense of belief that she can do the same in subsequent matches, only to come out and barely beat a scrub or lose to such by her own hand in the next match........smh. I had her beating Barty and going on to win the event, given how the draw unfolded. Yet, she lost to her again. In addition, i didn't know that they've met 8 times with Ashleigh dismissing Petra the last 4 times to even their header. Physically, I don't know what she was thinking about, losing that weight to look scrawny, for it took away her power. She gained some of it back this year, but the power hasn't returned to finish her shots, "if" she keeps her groundies between the lines. W/o power in her groundstrokes, coupled with the lack of consistency and discipline in her game, Petra becomes pedestrian. She's now out of the top-10....

For me, I'm beginning to believe that she's not a threat to win not only a Slam, but a premier event , for the youngsters are now maturing and have more discipline in their game than she. She's too old now to be playing inconsistent, erratic tennis in her prime, no excuse for this at this point in her career. Disappointing, for she should have been Serena's chief rival, given her game and weapons and made a significant name for herself in her career. However, she's earned +31 mil. in prize money and can live very comfortably for the rest of her life with, if she desires, hubby and kids amidst scenic, idyllic settings that she loves, i.e., (New Haven). Yet, I'll keep watching but with no expectations, for she is now a "(?)" as to how she's going to perform entering a match or event. A wasted talent, who should have been in the end one of the Best....

·
Registered
54,052 Posts
St. Petersburg

Reactions: paulmara

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
Petra beat Ons Jabeur 76 76 in a very hard fought match. Jabeur has been on fire this week so even though she was pretty tired and had her leg strapped, this is still a solid win. Ons has a lot of ability, especially with her forehand, she's very dangerous with that shot and she also has a lot of touch and versatility. People sometimes underestimate Ons because she's a bit overweight, but that girl can play... just tends to get exhausted and injured a bit too often because of her body weight and shape.

·
Registered
54,052 Posts

41 - 60 of 64 Posts