·
Registered
54,052 Posts
Easy Aus Open R1 win for Petra ♥ :)

·
Registered
54,052 Posts
Petra ♥

Alexandrova is on fire and will be tough (also lives in CZE and has a Czech coach).

·
Registered
54,052 Posts
Petra into Aus Open R4! :love:

Alexandrova was the perfect opponent for Petra.
Also flat hard-hitter. Only that Petra is better at everything. And has more variety too.

Next round vs Sakkari will be a lot tougher.
Sakkari won the last 2 matches against Petra (both last year) ...

·
Registered
54,052 Posts
6-7 6-3 3-0 :)

The expected difficult match for Petra. She was scared of Sakkari since the beginning.
Petra made too many UEs in the (ugly) first set. Bad return games, then in tiebreak weak serving.
Sakkari is fighting very hard and exposing her weak and slow movement. Thank God Petra plays better now.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
It looked to me like Petra displayed real mental fortitude and mental toughness during her match against Sakkari which I have not seen before(or it was so long ago that I cannot remember it!) I like it, I hope it serves her well in matches.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
It looked to me like Petra displayed real mental fortitude and mental toughness during her match against Sakkari which I have not seen before(or it was so long ago that I cannot remember it!) I like it, I hope it serves her well in matches.
Yeah I completely Agree. She would've lost that match a year ago! Sakkari is not a great match up for her because she can play both defense and offense really well. And Petra knows this too based on their previous matches...that's likely why her game was AWOL when she came out on the court.

·
Registered
54,052 Posts
Last 8 !!! :love: Very proud of her fighting spirit :)
Sakkari is a very difficult match-up for her and Petra was nervous.
It was wonderful to see how she improved and finished the match rather easily.

·
Registered
54,052 Posts

·
Registered
54,052 Posts
6-7 2-6. Petra :cry:

Heartbreaking. Always sooo close.
I feel sorry for lovely Petra. This loss must hurt.
Painful to lose the extremely close very high quality first set :(
Petra made too many UEs. Especially on important points. A shame.

Petra really could/should have won the first set.
She had many chances, but wasted all of them (with UEs).
1/9 on BPs in the first set :help: Missed chances.
Then the wasted SP at 6-5 in the tiebreak :(

Unnecessary loss of first game in 2nd set. Then Petra collapsed until 0-4.
Sadly no energy and patience anymore. Too many UEs. It was over then basically.
Overall Petra gave everything. But was not good enough. Too many UEs and chances wasted.

The first set was the best what I saw at this Aus Open. Very high quality tennis.
This match looked more like a Slam SF or final than QF. Better quality than in QF Kenin v Jabeur.

Ash deserved to win. She served and moved better, was mentally stronger on the important points.
Very impressive how she serves, how smart she plays, how well she moves and how well she defends.
A real world #1. She should have no problems with Kenin and reach the Aus Open final.

Barty also said how crucial it was to win the very close first set. And then begin the 2nd set fast.

·
Registered
54,052 Posts
The stats also tell a lot :p

Ash clearly served better than Petra.

Break points won
Petra
2 of 12 = only 17% !
Barty
4 of 8 = 50%

Break points won in the important 1st set
Petra
1 of 9 = only 11% ! :rolleyes:
Barty
1 of 3 = 33%

Winners
28 Petra
20 Ash

UEs
38 Petra (too many)
28 Ash

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Petra's gonna be disappointed she did not take that 1st set...she had SO many opportunities to break and even after it went to a TB, she was leading it...only to dump UE after UE again...her serve just does not hold up anymore when it's under pressure either...and then once her serve falls apart...so does the rest of her game...

I just wonder if Petra has it within her to actually win a 3rd slam...time and time again - matches where she has a good chance of winning, her serve ends up becoming a liability and then she becomes a UE machine

·
Registered
54,052 Posts
Petra´s best points:
Great return winner to make it 3-3 0-40 :love:
This very long rally in TB. Petra should have won this point, had several chances ...
The fired forehand winner at 6-7 0-0 Ad/BP for Barty :love:

Petra cannot beat Barty anymore :(
She won their first 4 meetings, but Ash has won their last 4 meetings.
Ash is killing her career and her Grand Slam chances :cry:

21 - 40 of 64 Posts