Tennis Forum banner

221 - 240 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think The New York Times did an article on Laxmi as she retired at the US Open in 1997, but otherwise I didn't read/hear much of her, as I started following the sport in 1990 and I was not privy to her junior exploits as they happened.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I think The New York Times did an article on Laxmi as she retired at the US Open in 1997, but otherwise I didn't read/hear much of her, as I started following the sport in 1990 and I was not privy to her junior exploits as they happened.
Yup, it was Poruri, beat Monica at the Orange Bowl in 1986, I believe. I didn't even realize that she played on the Tour, so that was my bad in the initial clue. I thought she just played college and quit. When I was a kid I used to get the USTA's news magazine (it was more like a newspaper) and in the late 1980s she was constantly in it, along with other top juniors like Amy Frazier, the aforementioned Debbie Graham, Ann Grossman, Carrie Cunningham etc.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I used to get the USTA magazine with my Tennis Magazine in the 1990s as a USTA member... which leads me to a new question:

Which blonde from Kansas was a top junior in the 1990s and reached a career-high of #33 in 1998? If that's too easy, here's a follow-up: which hyped American player beat her in a 1998 Manhattan Beach qualifying match?

221 - 240 of 280 Posts