Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
25,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to the 2020 Blast quiz bowl.:)

The idea is simple-either post a tennis related question or answer it. Questions may be easy or difficult.

Each correct answer earns a point. At the end of the year we will crown a quiz bowl champion!

Points Board

03 Mark
03 Pam Shriver
02 Djo-couer
02 Rollo
01 LKK

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Who was the unseeded, unheralded amateur American teenager who made a significant run at Roland Garros in 1984 only to immediately fall back into obscurity and never be heard from again?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
The Pro w/The Fro! Love that!

was it Camille Benjamin or Sugar Daddy Loving Lisa Bonder?
except for Hana, that 1984 French was a doozer.

·
25,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The Pro w/The Fro! Love that!

was it Camille Benjamin or Sugar Daddy Loving Lisa Bonder?
except for Hana, that 1984 French was a doozer.
You are VERY warm Mark-but you gotta pick one! I suggest you look at my hint and consult our handy encyclopedia or google images.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Who was the unseeded, unheralded amateur American teenager who made a significant run at Roland Garros in 1984 only to immediately fall back into obscurity and never be heard from again?
Camille Benjamin.

But I think you should give the point to @Mark43 because Iooked up the two players he mentioned to see which one had glasses. :) ;)

·
25,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
But I think you should give the point to @Mark43 because Iooked up the two players he mentioned to see which one had glasses
I'll give you both a point then.;) This is off to a good start. Anyone feel free to contribute questions.

2 Questions (a point each)

1. Who was the last woman to go undefeated in a whole season?
2. Who came close in the modern era by losing only 1 match all year?

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
I'll go with a few questions with pictures.

1- What is BJK holding in her left hand, and why?
***EDIT: answer found by Rollo. A symbolic one dollar bill at the first Virginia Slims at the dawn of the WTA. Original picture HERE

This one is probably very difficult.

2- This picture is from one of the earliest tennis scenes in a Hollywood movie. What was the title of the movie?
***EDIT: correct answer by Mark43. The Kiss (1929)

3- One of these three players is French. Which one and what's her name?
Correct answer found: Marlys Burel on the right

4- Who was the last woman to ever win this trophy?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I'll give you both a point then.;) This is off to a good start. Anyone feel free to contribute questions.

2 Questions (a point each)

1. Who was the last woman to go undefeated in a whole season?
I’m guessing the first question is Madame Suzanne Lenglen?
The second one is easy: Martina Navratilova in 1983. That pesky Kathleen Horvath and her new shag cut distracted Ms. Martina obviously!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I'll go with a few questions with pictures.

1- What is BJK holding in her left hand, and why?
A vibrator, because Larry wasn’t cutting it.

This one is probably very difficult.

2- This picture is from one of the earliest tennis scenes in a Hollywood movie. What was the title of the movie?
Ninotchka, Garbo laughs (and swats balls!)

3- One of these three players is French. Which one and what's her name?
The gal with the hideous beehive, Gail Chanfreau.

4- Who was the last woman to ever win this trophy?
The Reverend MargeRotten Court, who then condemned the entire tournament to hell for allowing so many bull dykes into the arena!

·
25,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m guessing the first question is Madame Suzanne Lenglen? Nope. There were two women after Suzanne who also had undefeated seasons. Good guess though Mark!
The second one is easy: Martina Navratilova in 1983. That pesky Kathleen Horvath and her new shag cut distracted Ms. Martina obviously! You got it Mark! The new points leader!

·
25,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOVE the photo questions Djo-Coeur.

Here are my guesses:

1. King is holding a golden tennis ball. (total guess on my part)
2. Gorgeous legs lady must be Joan Crawford. Is it Our Modern Maidens from 1929?
3. Odile de Roubin is the French lady (jut in case Mark is wrong)
4. The trophy is from the French. The unseen woman in the picture is Chris Evert, but I think the last women to hold the smallish French trophy was Virginia Ruzici.

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
@Rollo

First picture --- no not a tennis ball, but something much lighter --- (hint) that was probably at the first Virginia Slims event

Second pic --- one of the actresses is Greta Garbo

Third pic --- No it's not Odile de Roubin. The French woman is the one on the right and they are all wearing Ted Tinling's creations.

Fourth Picture --- You have to find out the year that trophy was replaced. The information is on rolandgarros.com

Sorry if the questions are difficult. I can give more hints if necessary.

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Here is an easier question.

What is the real name of this unusual court surface? It's been around for 40 years or so, but I guess it's used only by amateurs.

·
25,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry if the questions are difficult. I can give more hints if necessary.
No need to apologize. The questions are fun and give us a chance to learn. All good fun!

With your helpful hint I now guess Billie Jean is holding up a dollar bill. When the slims ladies igned with Glady Heldman in late 1970 it was for a symbolic dollar bill.

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
No need to apologize. The questions are fun and give us a chance to learn. All good fun!

With your helpful hint I now guess Billie Jean is holding up a dollar bill. When the slims ladies igned with Glady Heldman in late 1970 it was for a symbolic dollar bill.
Yes right answer
Original picture HERE

1 - 20 of 291 Posts