2. Xuliu Sun (CHN)
3. Yidi Yang (CHN)

1. Meiqi Guo (CHN)
1. Sohyun Park (KOR)
2. Moyuka Uchijima (JPN)
4. Kai-Chen Chang (TPE)
3. Joanna Garland (TPE)
4. Qinwen Zheng (CHN)

Full list here: https://www.tennis.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/AO2020-AWP-Womens-Singles-Acceptance-List-19112019.pdf

·
Registered
75,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Very weak field with Han only top 200 player. Lots of Chinese players deciding not to play.

Players not deciding to play: Xiyu Wang, Xinyu Wang, Mayo Hibi, Jia-Jing Lu, Ankita Raina, Yuki Naito, Xinyun Han, En-Shuo Liang, Xiaodi You, Yue Yuan, Shuyue Ma, Fangzhou Liu, Akiko Omae, Kyoka Okamura, Luksika Kumkhum, Miharu Imanishi, Anna Danilina, Peangtarn Plipuech, Shilin Xu, Kai-Lin Zhang, Risa Ozaki, Hiroko Kuwata, Momoko Kobori, Mari Osaka and Nudnida Luangnam.

All are ranked higher than last into MD Namigata :eek:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I don't get why players wouldn't enter - it's literally like you have two chances at entering the MD - if you don't get the WC there's always the QD! Especially the Indians (aka Raina)

·
Registered
75,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the TA wildcards for Australian players? Meaning if one were to win there would be no Asian WC?
No it just means TA has the opportunity to pick other players (non Chinese) for the MD while the CTA WCs are only for Chinese.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Interesting to see BFCD there!

But yes, the list of absentees is insane!
As it stands, it's like saying "If you can beat Na-Lae, you get an MD WC"!!

·
Registered
25,273 Posts
I’m guessing Tere-Apisah will get to compete so there is more diversity of nations. Disappointing to see no Indians, Kazakhs, Thais, or even the Indonesian Sutjiadi who would be close to this cut-off. I want to see a variety of Asian nations competing in this.

·
Registered
75,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m guessing Tere-Apisah will get to compete so there is more diversity of nations. Disappointing to see no Indians, Kazakhs, Thais, or even the Indonesian Sutjiadi who would be close to this cut-off. I want to see a variety of Asian nations competing in this.
Yeah I'm thinking she will get one of the TA WCs.

The other TA WC will probably be between the younger group of Park, Uchijima, Garland or veteran Chang.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
So what's the criteria here? Can anyone who fits the geographical criteria enter, and can you enter both this and the main qualifying the next month? I just don't get why you wouldn't enter. Peng beat Apisiah, You, Imanishi and Chang last year, and without having the stats, I very much doubt there'd be a top 300 player (at the time) amongst them. You obviously don't get points which you would via the traditional method, but if you can definitely still do the normal qualifiers a month later then it does seem like a no brainer. It's obviously off season, but seems crazy that so many would pass it up if they were eligible.

·
Registered
25,360 Posts
Yuki Naito not playing here :facepalm:

I would like to see other asians nations playing here!

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Despite the WC Playoff entry criteria is ranking #105 or below, it seems players with rankings around #200 had to withdraw or voluntarily withdrew to play AO qualifying instead, as happened in 2018.

In 2018 we had Sharipova (#122) and Shimizu (#188) in the initially list but they disappeared from the final acceptance list. They both did play AO qualifying subsequently.

Or was it that if one played AO Quali then she is not allowed to play the WC Playoff?

Han played the 2018 AO Quali and she withdrew from the Playoff list. Jang's ranking (#265) was too low on entry deadline to be accepted into the AO Quali so that she played the 2018 WC Playoff.

Attachments

·
Registered
75,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Of course they are allowed to play. It would be ridiculous if this WC was offered to players only outside the top 200 (same with the Australian WC Playoff).

"The AWP is open to all Nationals from the Asia-Pacific region with a World Ranking of 105+ for Men and Women, excluding
Australians. Players with a World Ranking of 1-104 for Men and Women may also apply for entry if they are concerned about any
points they need to defend. They will need to contact the Tournament Referee for a special exemption to play"

·
Registered
75,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The entry list has been updated in first post.

Muramatsu and Arakawa withdrew, Z.Sun moved to MD, Duan and Hayashi moved to QD.

Tere-Apisah gets the first TA WC as expected.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
This play off is a total waste of time. Far better to just put the names of the four highest ranked eligible players outside top 105 into a hat - Hibino, Nara and the two X Wangs - and pick one. When this first started, they just gave it to the highest ranked player, which also would have been better. It is quite likely that this WC goes to someone outside the top 300 who does not even deserve a QWC. I actually think play offs for grand slam wild cards should be banned as they invariably go to duds. The US at least give it to players who have done well in some sort of lead up events.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts