Tennis Forum banner

1441 - 1445 of 1445 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I posted a clip in the social media thread, sometime in the last week or two, where she was getting treatment at home after a practice/workout. Jarmere is also in LA right now. She's working out, but just not sharing everything (which is fine; she has a toddler to chase around, after all). Just as an aside, isn't it time to close this thread? :lol:

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
A sad loss. Just going from the scoreline (can't remember who was serving) this was a loss from the same winning position Kim Clijsters was in when Serena launched her EPIC comeback to complete the Serena Slam. Interesting reversal of fortunes this time.

This is of course a new situation and a different Serena. Serena's success since returning as a mother has been remarkable. When she returns from long lay off it usually takes 4 attempts to win another slam (2011 comeback - at 2012 Wimbledon and 2004 comeback, at 2005 AO). On one view, we were due a win here. But if you discount the FO last year, because she was injured, we're due a 4th FO up next :lol:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Why yall going straight to Wimbledon. All the Army on twitter is doing the same thing.
This. A thousand times over. Seeing certain people automatically skip over RG as a legitimate possibility for the capture of #24 is becoming bitterly annoying. Since her clay renaissance in 2013, only one player has been able to take her out at RG. I would make the argument that post-comeback, Serena's best tennis has been played on clay, and that speaks volumes when one considers how early into her comeback that she was when she last played on it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I honestly have less hope for the USO even though most fans have it as a sure thing when she's fit and healthy. That place has had more bad karma than IW at this point.
Agreed. As shocked as I am to be saying this, Roland Garros is actually Serena's most peaceful major nowadays.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
In her prior 2 big comebacks, it took her about a year to win a slam. In both cases, she got back to slam finals quickly (like this time) but didn't convert right away. This AO I chalk up to bad luck. If it weren't for that fluke ankle roll, she damn well could have won this tournament despite her monstrous draw.
A lot of people are neglecting to mention this.

To me the most worrisome "dry spell" was 2014 by far. It wasn't even so much that she lost early in slams, but that it was due to her body failing her consistently in those moments. This time, it's just about her snapping out of it and relaxing.
Agreed. That was the only active year of Serena's career, in recent memory at least, that worried me.

I hope she takes this IW/Miami stretch and tries to win her first title. I think it would go a long way to helping her get the monkey off her back in a fairly low stakes environment. It might help her restore some belief and relax going forward.
This is precisely what Serena needs. She needs match play, but she also needs an environment that relieves the pressure associated with Majors.

1441 - 1445 of 1445 Posts