Tennis Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1445 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Serena has been back 1 year now she should be back at full fitness it doesn't take this long, I honestly don't think she will get to 24 why couldn't she have waited 1 or 2 more years this is not the Serena I know, when she returned in Indian Wells last year I expected her to be in her 2017 Australian Open form (seriously I did) just don't know what has happened she is lacking the hunger and belief the record needs to be her sole focus and priority and also play more tournaments, Madrid & Rome would be ideal ahead of the French Open.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
A painful loss in Aus Open QF to Karolina Pliskova :help:
To lose a match from 5-1 and 40-30 (on serve !) up in 3rd set is a pure disaster :eek:
Seems like Grand Slams and Serena don't fit together anymore :sad:

And so much about being the title-favourite again ...
Karolina was amazing since 5-1 in 3rd set, but Serena lost her focus ...
Serena played so amazing to win the 2nd set and until 5-1 in 3rd set. A shame ...

I have to say Karo played great, also mentally that was very strong.
Sooo impressive how she came back from 1-5 down in set 3 and saved 4 MPs.
Karo played very strong in 1st set and 3rd set from 1-5 down. She is a wonderful player.

Sadly Serena is slower than she used to be (she's old now) :(
Also she is mentally weaker than she was in the past before her baby.
Without the baby, I'm sure she would have won another Grand Slam already.
The baby really stopped her tennis career. Not sure if she will win another Grand Slam. She's always close with QF/SF/Final. But still no title. And she's not getting younger ...
Lol since when does a Final/Final/QF (virtual SF) mean doom and gloom. It amazes me the standard that Serena is held to. Literally no one except for Naomi has had a year like Serena has. She has fallen short during the big moments sure, but she is a work in progress. All signs show that if after a year from her pregnancy, she could make a final of a grand slam, she’s more than capable of winning, she just needs time to get back to her winning ways. If by this years USO she hasn’t won anything, I will start to worry. Otherwise it’s useless to worry now, and if we’re worried about Serena we better be worried about all the other girls on tour doing absolutely nothing all year.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Lol since when does a Final/Final/QF (virtual SF) mean doom and gloom. It amazes me the standard that Serena is held to. Literally no one except for Naomi has had a year like Serena has. She has fallen short during the big moments sure, but she is a work in progress. All signs show that if after a year from her pregnancy, she could make a final of a grand slam, she’s more than capable of winning, she just needs time to get back to her winning ways. If by this years USO she hasn’t won anything, I will start to worry. Otherwise it’s useless to worry now, and if we’re worried about Serena we better be worried about all the other girls on tour doing absolutely nothing all year.
How much more time does she need she should be at full fitness by now she has been back 1 year.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
How much more time does she need she should be at full fitness by now she has been back 1 year.
No she hasn’t been back for an entire year Adam. Do you remember the timeline?

September 2017- she had Olympia and pregnancy complications. Couldn’t get back on the court to practice due to the health risks.

December 2017- played Ostepenko in Abu Dhabi.

March 2018- Returned for Indian Wells and Miami Open. Got blown out in both. Didn’t play again until the FO.

May 2018- Played French Open and withdrew in the 4th Round. Since her return, she’s played a whopping 8 tournaments, and let’s be honest, only took the Slams seriously.

September 2018- Played USO final, took the rest of the year off until January...

Patrick admitted that Serena came back too early, that she was still breastfeeding prior to the FO and couldn’t train properly. She also dealt with her blood clots, her postnatal depression, her sister’s killer being released, and the transition from tennis robot into tennis legend/mother/wife.

While you think Serena should just be magically in shape again only after 5 months of serious match play from May-September and the month of January, it’s so unrealistic to think that. Sure, it’s been a year and a half since she’s had Olympia, but the time she’s spent on court competing and training is a third of that.

Azarenka and Sharapova are 6-7 years younger than Serena and haven’t made a final in years... can we not just enjoy the fact that Serena is fighting and just let her progress naturally without forcing her retirement for a second? I know expectations are high, but let Queen do her magic. She wouldn’t be wasting her time on the tennis courts away from Olympia and dealing with all the bullshit tennis brings to her life if she didn’t trust the process.

**Even 8 years ago as she came back from the Pulminary Embolism, it took her four attempts to win a slam (won on the 5th attempt) even when she made the final of the second slam she competed in. This was at 29 years old when she wasn’t coming back from having a baby and she had all the time in the world to train. Trust her process, and if by AO2020 she has no other titles we can start to panic and plan her retirement. These loses will only motivate her and fuel her fire. I’m predicting she peaks at Wimbledon with a good shot still at the French Open if she gets her confidence back.

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
No she hasn’t been back for an entire year Adam. Do you remember the timeline?

September 2017- she had Olympia and pregnancy complications. Couldn’t get back on the court to practice due to the health risks.

December 2017- played Ostepenko in Abu Dhabi.

March 2018- Returned for Indian Wells and Miami Open. Got blown out in both. Didn’t play again until the FO.

May 2018- Played French Open and withdrew in the 4th Round. Since her return, she’s played a whopping 8 tournaments, and let’s be honest, only took the Slams seriously.

September 2018- Played USO final, took the rest of the year off until January...

Patrick admitted that Serena came back too early, that she was still breastfeeding prior to the FO and couldn’t train properly. She also dealt with her blood clots, her postnatal depression, her sister’s killer being released, and the transition from tennis robot into tennis legend/mother/wife.

While you think Serena should just be magically in shape again only after 5 months of serious match play from May-September and the month of January, it’s so unrealistic to think that. Sure, it’s been a year and a half since she’s had Olympia, but the time she’s spent on court competing and training is a third of that.

Azarenka and Sharapova are 6-7 years younger than Serena and haven’t made a final in years... can we not just enjoy the fact that Serena is fighting and just let her progress naturally without forcing her retirement for a second? I know expectations are high, but let Queen do her magic. She wouldn’t be wasting her time on the tennis courts away from Olympia and dealing with all the bullshit tennis brings to her life if she didn’t trust the process.

**Even 8 years ago as she came back from the Pulminary Embolism, it took her four attempts to win a slam (won on the 5th attempt) even when she made the final of the second slam she competed in. This was at 29 years old when she wasn’t coming back from having a baby and she had all the time in the world to train. Trust her process, and if by AO2020 she has no other titles we can start to panic and plan her retirement. These loses will only motivate her and fuel her fire. I’m predicting she peaks at Wimbledon with a good shot still at the French Open if she gets her confidence back.
There's losing and there's losing because one isn't taking care of the fitness part of things. With Serena, even PRE Olympia it always a mistery in what kind of shape she would come in any given tournament. Serena is reaching finals, QF's... but she can't get seal the deal, because she isn't in optimal shape to begin with.

So that's the thing.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
There's losing and there's losing because one isn't taking care of the fitness part of things. With Serena, even PRE Olympia it always a mistery in what kind of shape she would come in any given tournament. Serena is reaching finals, QF's... but she can't get seal the deal, because she isn't in optimal shape to begin with.

So that's the thing.
No.
Broadly, she's been extremely fit post-embolism etc., carrying on from the very last part of her final season pre-embolism.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

So that's the thing.
That’s not the problem. Serena has won other majors not in optimal shape before. The problem is she doesn’t have match play, and with match play will come the confidence and the fitness. I agree she needs to spend time training and losing the baby fat, but my whole point of the post was that it’s only been less than a year since she’s returned. Some people are freaking out, ready to retire the poor woman and she hasn’t even gotten a chance to get situated.

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
That’s not the problem. Serena has won other majors not in optimal shape before. The problem is she doesn’t have match play, and with match play will come the confidence and the fitness. I agree she needs to spend time training and losing the baby fat, but my whole point of the post was that it’s only been less than a year since she’s returned. Some people are freaking out, ready to retire the poor woman and she hasn’t even gotten a chance to get situated.
Not me. I only want her to work on the fitness, because that's the MAIN ( and ONLY?) thing that's holding her back. If she can't get serious with the fitness, the tour is less forgiving right now.. and losses to fit players like Kerber and Osaka will continue to happen.

We will see what's she about when Wimby rolls around.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
We will see what's she about when Wimby rolls around.
Why yall going straight to Wimbledon. All the Army on twitter is doing the same thing. Has the French not been one of the easiest places for her in recent years?

She has only lost to Muguruza in Paris since she won it again in 2013. That's 6 years with 2 W 1 F, a withdrawl, and a 2nd Round to Mugs.

And from my perception it was the Slam she has played the best in since coming back. I thought both at the Wimbledon and US Open she didn't play anyone who had challenged her. The Halep match was really good in Melbourne though.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Going for RG would be pretty smart honestly.

The only true threats are Halep, Muguruza and maybe Sloane. Kerber, Osaka, and Kvitova aren't good on RG clay. Ostapenko can lose to anyone, Svitolina sucks at the slams, and Madelaine is a punching bag who's still going through drug withdrawal. As others have said, she's done pretty damn well there in recent years and has only lost to Mug since turning her clay game around.

She's let way too many chances slip away (2003, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014) and I want at least one more FO.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Why yall going straight to Wimbledon. All the Army on twitter is doing the same thing. Has the French not been one of the easiest places for her in recent years?

She has only lost to Muguruza in Paris since she won it again in 2013. That's 6 years with 2 W 1 F, a withdrawl, and a 2nd Round to Mugs.

And from my perception it was the Slam she has played the best in since coming back. I thought both at the Wimbledon and US Open she didn't play anyone who had challenged her. The Halep match was really good in Melbourne though.
Going for RG would be pretty smart honestly.

The only true threats are Halep, Muguruza and maybe Sloane. Kerber, Osaka, and Kvitova aren't good on RG clay. Ostapenko can lose to anyone, Svitolina sucks at the slams, and Madelaine is a punching bag who's still going through drug withdrawal.

She's let way too many chances slip away (2003, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014) and I want at least one more FO.
I 100% agree with the both of you. RG is not some unreasonable thing. She is quite capable of still winning it. Only ones Im nervous about there would be Halep and Muguruza. And some random French player. And a 4th FO would be oh so sweet!! I need her to snag a title before clay season tho ...

·
Premium Member
20,321 Posts
Also hasn't RG been her most problem free slam? The only thing was the catsuit issue last year but that happened after not while she was playing.

I honestly have less hope for the USO even though most fans have it as a sure thing when she's fit and healthy. That place has had more bad karma than IW at this point.

·
Registered
47,498 Posts

RG is a physical major... yeah Serena has performed well there in the past, but can the current Serena engage in the rallies that will be needed? :scratch: :shrug:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
In her prior 2 big comebacks, it took her about a year to win a slam. In both cases, she got back to slam finals quickly (like this time) but didn't convert right away. This AO I chalk up to bad luck. If it weren't for that fluke ankle roll, she damn well could have won this tournament despite her monstrous draw.

People need to relax about her not being good at grand slams. She's been tight at GS tournaments ever since the embolism. It's only gotten worse since she started chasing records. People don't realize it because she's mostly come through those moments anyways. But let's not pretend she didn't make a mess outta those USO Finals against Fridge or was tight for nearly every damn slam match in 2015 (despite nearly winning the CYGS anyways).

To me the most worrisome "dry spell" was 2014 by far. It wasn't even so much that she lost early in slams, but that it was due to her body failing her consistently in those moments. This time, it's just about her snapping out of it and relaxing.

I hope she takes this IW/Miami stretch and tries to win her first title. I think it would go a long way to helping her get the monkey off her back in a fairly low stakes environment. It might help her restore some belief and relax going forward.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
In her prior 2 big comebacks, it took her about a year to win a slam. In both cases, she got back to slam finals quickly (like this time) but didn't convert right away. This AO I chalk up to bad luck. If it weren't for that fluke ankle roll, she damn well could have won this tournament despite her monstrous draw.

People need to relax about her not being good at grand slams. She's been tight at GS tournaments ever since the embolism. It's only gotten worse since she started chasing records. People don't realize it because she's mostly come through those moments anyways. But let's not pretend she didn't make a mess outta those USO Finals against Fridge or was tight for nearly every damn slam match in 2015 (despite nearly winning the CYGS anyways).

To me the most worrisome "dry spell" was 2014 by far. It wasn't even so much that she lost early in slams, but that it was due to her body failing her consistently in those moments. This time, it's just about her snapping out of it and relaxing.

I hope she takes this IW/Miami stretch and tries to win her first title. I think it would go a long way to helping her get the monkey off her back in a fairly low stakes environment. It might help her restore some belief and relax going forward.
All of this.
Some of yall acting like Serena ain't been beating these girls and getting to SFs and Fs at like 70 and 80%.

Hopefully she loses some weight, playa more matches and actually wins a non slam tournament. She can always use match play and a confidence boost..

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
RG is a physical major... yeah Serena has performed well there in the past, but can the current Serena engage in the rallies that will be needed? :scratch: :shrug:
The Georges match last year was all I needed to see to believe she can still win RG. Sure she matches up well with Julia, but that was a statement win. She just needs improved fitness to be able to maintain that consistency over 7 matches.

During IW/Miami, I hope she gets to play Sabalenka or a peak Bertens/Kasatkina/etc. She's already beaten the other girls in the top 10 at more/or less their current levels (maybe not Sloane as much? But she has seen enough of Sloane over the years). The only one she's faltered against was someone from the new generation (Osaka) and I'm hella curious to see how she matches up against the girls who've made their move during her sabbatical/comeback. I don't need her to be seeing Sabalenka for the first fucking time in the USO SF or F (which is what she had to do against Pliskova & Osaka at the USO. Though she played both once before that, she basically ducked having to see either at their (then) current level until those matches). Let's get it out of the way in a low stakes environment.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Serena at her baby’s big party, Serena hosting and paying for baby shower’s duchess in NY, Serena at a conference in San Jose, Serena at the Oscars in LA... when’s Serena in Indian Wells or thinking of tennis ?
Sad to see 98% of her forum are the off court threads.

No discussion about the next tournaments. It seems people are more interested about the doll stories or her hubby’s declarations than about her tennis.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Serena at her baby’s big party, Serena hosting and paying for baby shower’s duchess in NY, Serena at a conference in San Jose, Serena at the Oscars in LA... when’s Serena in Indian Wells or thinking of tennis ?

No discussion about the next tournaments. It seems people are more interested about the doll stories or her hubby’s declarations than about her tennis.

When was the last time Serena herself mentioned tennis outside of a commercial? I just hope she’s still training and maintaining/improving her fitness. We got 3 slams left!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts

When was the last time Serena herself mentioned tennis outside of a commercial? I just hope she’s still training and maintaining/improving her fitness. We got 3 slams left!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When she does, it’s about how boring it is to wake up early for practice, or she’s late for practice and wants to stay home.
It’s always negative tweets (supposed to be funny I guess)

1421 - 1440 of 1445 Posts