[16] Serena Williams [USA] - Yastremska [UKR] 6-2 6-1

4th Round

[16] Serena Williams [USA] - [1] Simona Halep [ROU] 6-1 4-6 6-4

Quarterfinal

[16] Serena Williams [USA] - [7] Karolina Pliskova [CZE] 4-6 6-4 5-7

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Cannot wait to see her play at the Australian Open really hoping she can get 24 here she loves Melbourne its also 20 years since Serena reached the Mixed Doubles Final and was 1 point away from winning the title in 1999 if Serena plays Mixed Doubles she needs a decent partner, Serena is just so good at the Australian Open it would be wonderful if she could win the Mixed Doubles title and have all 3 titles at the Australian Open.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Best of luck! My favourite Serena slam and crowd. So many good memories!

·
Registered
699 Posts
The best of all the four Slams :hearts:

In all honesty, my expectations aren't extremely high- in part due to the fact that she is 37 and declined, so to win a Slam at this point would be considered more of a blessing I would be grateful for rather than something I would expect or to happen. In addition to that, given her seeding, her draw might be quite tricky. If I am not mistaken, as the 16th seed she is projected to play someone from the 17-24 range in R3 (potentially Muguruza, Ostapenko, Garcia or Kontaveit) and then even worse, she is projected to play one of the top 4 seeds in R4 (Halep, Kerber, Wozniacki or Osaka). Aside from Wozniacki who I personally think won't even make it to R4, it's hard to see Serena beating the other three :shrug: Her movement is still quite poor and easily exposed and her groundstrokes aren't consistent enough to outrally them.

On the plus side, Serena is going into this tournament as a bit of an underdog. It seems like everyone has jumped on the Osaka bandwagon :)eyeroll:) and there are other top players who have proven themselves lately and who will be favorites for the title. Add Serena's negative media attention since the US Open incident and suddenly not all eyes are on her. I believe this lack of expectations is a unique opportunity for her to feel relaxed and at least somewhat relinquished of pressure. Furthermore, I think it's a positive thing for Serena to face these top players early on as she will have to beat them eventually if she wants to win another Slam title so I'm on board for an early slam scare rather than her once again going into a final of a Slam with a false sense of security as was the case with the US Open and even more so with Wimbledon.

And finally, to end my post on a positive note, she seems to play great in odd-numbered years: 2003- Win, 2005- Win, 2007- Win, 2009- Win, 2011- DNP, 2013- QF, 2015- Win, 2017- Win.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I thought I'd post a little tribute. I hope you like my edit.

2003: def. Venus Williams 7-6 3-6 6-4 in the final

This was her first Australian Open title and with it she completed the Serena Slam, winning 4 Grand Slams in a row. After barely surviving the 1st round, she played two historic matches in the SF and F, first coming back from 5-1 down in the 3rd set to save 2 match points and beat Kim Clijsters and then play an incredible three set match against Venus in the final. To this day, the SF against Clijsters remains (in my opinion) her greatest ever comeback considering what was at stake.

2005: def. Lindsay Davenport 2-6 6-3 6-0 in the final

This tournament was in a way both her resurrection and her downfall. After an injury-riddled 2004, she managed to prove everyone wrong by impressively beating 3 of the top 4 players in the world. The SF against Sharapova is one of the best and most important matches she has played in her career.

2007: def. Maria Sharapova 6-1 6-2 in the final

She came into the tournament having barely played in 2005 and 2006. She was #81 in the world, out of shape and written off by everyone. People said she would never win a Slam again and that was when she was at 7. She managed to beat 5 seeded players, come back from 6-1 5-3 against the 5th seeded Petrova and struggle past Peer and Vaidisova only to absolutely annihilate the #1 player in the world in the final. The AO final 2007 is imo the best match she has ever played.

2009: def. Dinara Safina 6-0 6-3 in the final

This one will be remembered for beating the three top Russians in a row at the time (+ Azarenka). After coming back from 7-5 5-3 and the brink of defeat against a redlining Kuznetsova, she obliterated Dementieva and Safina and firmly established to the tennis world that this was her 2nd period of dominance.

2010: def. Justine Henin 6-4 3-6 6-2 in the final

Australian Open 2010 is the most overlooked Slam that she's won in my opinion. With both of her legs wrapped, she managed to beat Kvitova, Stosur, Azarenka, Li and Henin to win the title :worship: As is the case for previous wins, this one will be remembered for her epic comeback against Azarenka in the QF when she was down 6-4 4-0. That third set was otherworldly and the way she snatched Henin's wig in the final was :drool:

2015: def. Maria Sharapova 6-3 7-6 in the final

With this win she was half-way through to her 2nd Serena Slam. She was incredibly fit in this tournament and looked invincible. Her serve was unstoppable and she played one of the highest quality Grand Slam finals in the 2000s against a peaking Maria.

2017: def. Venus Williams 6-4 6-4 in the final

I don't know if anyone feels the same way as me about this one, but this was in my opinion, the most underwhelming of all her AO wins. Even though all of her matches were quite straightforward (which is something I love), her matches felt flat out boring. Even the final was quite dull and low-quality and it was evident that there was nothing Venus could do to threaten Serena. That being said, this one is very special for other reasons, mainly her being 2 months pregnant and finally breaking Graf's record by twinning her 23rd Grand Slam title :worship:

So, what is everyone's favorite AO run? Please let me know.

·
Registered
85,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Peverell

I took a pic for thee OP.hope it is ok..if not, tell me!

Reactions: I_CLAUDIA_1961

·
Registered
85,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Rena's Army
34,944 Posts
2007 and 2010 for me. the 'it' girl who we now know was drugged up and who was supposedly the better player (gary carillo) and the rival who had won 3 straight matches in 2007 so everyone used it to say she was the better player as well :lol:

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I dont want a super hard draw but I dont want a cakewalk either. IF Serena is going to get back to the boss bitch of the WTA she rightfully is, she is going to have to beat these 'top' women more often. And I have no doubt she will get there because her desire is still on 100. And I think Melbourne presents a good opportunity in that all eyes wont be on her as much as it would in NY or even London. Im excited

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I dont want a super hard draw but I dont want a cakewalk either. IF Serena is going to get back to the boss bitch of the WTA she rightfully is, she is going to have to beat these 'top' women more often. And I have no doubt she will get there because her desire is still on 100. And I think Melbourne presents a good opportunity in that all eyes wont be on her as much as it would in NY or even London. Im excited
Playing the top players “more often” is a good point that sadly isn’t very fathomable based on the reduced schedule she plays. I was looking back to 2012 videos where she would routinely beat Kerber and all of her other pigeons. I think that has been the biggest struggle for her with the new generation and why she’s lost to Mug and Osaka in slam finals. With a reduced schedule, she isn’t able to routine these girls day in and day out. So someone like a treeing Osaka or Mug went into the match thinking they had a legitimate chance and hadn’t been trained in smaller events that Serena is dominant and is a boss bitch to be afraid of. Serena also doesn’t get to know their game beforehand and get comfortable exposing their weakness. She kind of has to do it on the spot now.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Gargamel is peaking at the start of the year. He didn't lose a set at the Hopman Cup, didn't lose his serve (in singles) and faced only 1 break point in 8 matches :lol: I swear to God, if he catches up with Serena in Slams, I will be LIVID.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Looking at her shoes apart from the African American History month tribute, I’m wondering if there is a hint at the color of her final outfit.

·
Registered
85,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
85,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 1445 Posts