Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 440 Posts

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Ok I get what you're saying but how do you know they're UR? The tech panel has access to slow motion cameras which we don't with most coverages.
Yeah, probably. I'm just saying that sometimes, on TV replays we get to see the jumps again and some of them are blatantly UR and they're not called for it.

Of course, some of the more ambiguous ones the tech panel probably will use the slow mo cameras to judge. But I'm speaking more generally when it comes to the obvious ones that they ignore.

Some examples of the top of my head are some of Konstantinova's or Bradie's jumps which are often not called for UR, even if some of them are obvious on TV replays.

I understand though, it's a tough job though and the tech panel can't satisfy everyone, but I just wish there was more consistency in judging.

·
Chionophile
40,068 Posts
Yeah, probably. I'm just saying that sometimes, on TV replays we get to see the jumps again and some of them are blatantly UR and they're not called for it.

Of course, some of the more ambiguous ones the tech panel probably will use the slow mo cameras to judge. But I'm speaking more generally when it comes to the obvious ones that they ignore.

Some examples of the top of my head are some of Konstantinova's or Bradie's jumps which are often not called for UR, even if some of them are obvious on TV replays.

I understand though, it's a tough job though and the tech panel can't satisfy everyone, but I just wish there was more consistency in judging.

I think some of the confusion comes because you can underrotate a little before an underrotation or a downright downgrade applies. I think they tend to be conservative because especially with big jumps like quads and triples, we're talking a lot of points in BV lost if those calls are made. Anyway, I think the bigger problem is in PCS specifically things like interpretation of music and choreography, things which gets less and less measurable and more and more subjective.

I can spot who has good skating skills and which programs have good transitions but that stuff like interpretation of music is all subjective and up to the judge.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I think some of the confusion comes because you can underrotate a little before an underrotation or a downright downgrade applies. I think they tend to be conservative because especially with big jumps like quads and triples, we're talking a lot of points in BV lost if those calls are made. Anyway, I think the bigger problem is in PCS specifically things like interpretation of music and choreography, things which gets less and less measurable and more and more subjective.

I can spot who has good skating skills and which programs have good transitions but that stuff like interpretation of music is all subjective and up to the judge.
I completely agree about the PCS judging - it's subjectivity is probably the main reason why I hate FS judging.

Yeah, maybe you're right about the tech calls though. I'm fine with it if that's what they really do, but they just need to be more consistent with it not just across competitions, but within them as well.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The problem with skating is that a judge gave Valieva a positive GOE on a jumping pass she fell on either in the short or long program. That's completely ridiculous. What's worse is that there is no accountability. The judge who did that will probably never be known much less ever face any repercussions for his terrible judging.

·
Chionophile
40,068 Posts
The problem with skating is that a judge gave Valieva a positive GOE on a jumping pass she fell on either in the short or long program. That's completely ridiculous. What's worse is that there is no accountability. The judge who did that will probably never be known much less ever face any repercussions for his terrible judging.
I’m pretty sure you’re not allowed to give positive GOEs for falls. :confused:

·
Registered
15,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
JGP Lake Placid Ladies SP
1. #AlysaLiu (USA) - SP: 69.30
2. #SeoyeonJi (KOR) - SP: 67.23
3. #YeonjeongPark (KOR) - SP: 64.35

Tarakanova was 4th.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Agree. Relatedly, to me PCS is still very subjective and has bailed out many favorites from mediocre programs during competition. Patrick Chan and Kostner come to mind as repeated beneficiaries.
It also bails out jumpers who have no performance quality getting 8's and 9's in the last three categories when at best they should get 7's so...I do agree though that Kostner and Chan have been extremely mediocre and off their game and have benefited from PCS...Kostner especially at 2014 Worlds with Pogorilaya.

The fact that Miyahara doesn't get 9's in PCS is fucking criminal...albeit though she does get much higher GOE on her jumps than she should so it evens out. :lol:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
However, I do understand that it's probably impossible to score both TES and PCS as I'm sure you're trying to evaluate the elements and not the in-betweens of PCS so it's hard.

·
Registered
15,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Lake Placid JGP Ladies Final

#AlysaLiu (USA) - FS: 138.80, Total: 208.10
#YeonjeongPark (KOR) - FS: 122.23, Total: 186.58
#AnastasiaTarakanova (RUS) - FS: 120.86, Total: 179.29

·
Chionophile
40,068 Posts
Is this the first international skaters from India? They haven’t worked on their skating skills. It doesn’t matter if your elements aren’t quite there there’s no excuse to neglect basic skating skills meaning you push and get somewhere and use edges.

·
Registered
15,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Some upcoming events:

Autumn Classic (Sept 12) entries feature Hanyu, Rika, Zhenya

Lombardia Trophy (Sept 13) entries feature Shcherbakova, Samodurova, Tuktamysheva

Nepela Memorial (Sept 19) entries feature Trusova, Sakamoto

·
Registered
15,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Ladies final

🥇 #HaeinLee (KOR) - FS: 130.70, Total: 197.63
🥈 #DariaUscheva (RUS) - FS: 125.36, Total: 194.40
🥉 #RinoMatsuike (JPN) - FS: 126.62, Total: 193.03

61 - 80 of 440 Posts