Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 435 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm happy for all the girls like Kurakova, Ryabova, Paganini, etc. who get great opportunities for themselves outside of their original countries, but I wish super-talented girls Tarusina, Gubanova, Guliakova, Tarakanova, Nugumanova, etc. would all get their chance to shine too. :sad: None of them can even get GP assignments...figure skating sometimes really pisses me off now with some of its...archaic decisions coming from the ISU. Figure skating has just an insane amount of depth now, even compared to just five or ten years ago. The fact that they still country limit the GP when it's supposed to be the best figure skaters tune-up, the fact that they country limit Worlds (when it's supposed to be the best in the WORLD?),the fact that they only allow 6 women at the GPF when the substitutes could compete for a bronze medal just annoys me. I get a country limit for the Olympics but...like come on everything else is just archaic and meant for the 6.0 system where there was no depth and you would only have really good skates from 3 or so competitors a competition.

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,369 Posts
Ekaterina Kurakova SP at Skate Ontario yesterday (score 61,70). They played the music from youtube or something? :p

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Rika Kihira's FS "International Angel of Peace"

Music:
1. O Virtus Sapientiae by Maya Beiser
2. Beirut Taxi by Hollywood Studio Symphony
3. Mother Tongue by Dead Can Dance
4. Sacred Stones by Sheila Chandra
5. In A Moment of Greatness by Larry Groupe

It's actually a medley of these 5 songs, and it's a really lovely program IMO (there are some clips of her skating to it floating around on Twitter). I still prefer "Beautiful Storm" though - but that's one of my favourite programs ever so it'll be pretty hard to top.

She still hasn't gotten the jump timing right yet, missed quite a few of her jumps and fell on some, too. Thank goodness for her there's still some time before the season starts for her at ACI.

·
Registered
15,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Courchevel Ladies SP
1. Maiia Khromykh (RUS): 67.72
2. Seoyeong Wi (KOR): 65.75
3. Kamila Valieva (RUS): 62.31

·
Registered
15,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ladies FS

Kamila Valieva (RUS) - FS: 138.40, Total: 200.71
Seoyeong Wi (KOR) - FS: 125.32, Total: 191.07
Maiia Khromykh (RUS) - FS: 111.60, Total: 179.32

Valieva landed her 4T

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Alysa's program was superb but seems like the 4Lz and the 2nd 3A were slightly UR. But shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things since the judges seem to disregard URs quite frequently nowadays especially if these skaters have some sort of pedigree.

I can't wait for her to dominate the juniors scene and likely be among the top contenders for the 2022 Olympics!

·
Chionophile
40,063 Posts
Alysa's program was superb but seems like the 4Lz and the 2nd 3A were slightly UR. But shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things since the judges seem to disregard URs quite frequently nowadays especially if these skaters have some sort of pedigree.

I can't wait for her to dominate the juniors scene and likely be among the top contenders for the 2022 Olympics!
URs are called by the tech panel, judges can’t ignore in the sense that if called it lowers the base value, all they’re judging on is the quality of the jump and giving the GOE.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
URs are called by the tech panel, judges can’t ignore in the sense that if called it lowers the base value, all they’re judging on is the quality of the jump and giving the GOE.
Yeah I understand that, I should probably have phrased my original statement better. I mean that the tech panel often don't call URs or pre-rotations so they don't downgrade the jumps regardless. Particularly for some of the American and Russian women who have blatant URs most of the time but aren't called out for it.

That's one thing I don't like about FS judging, it's that they are most of the time inconsistent and frankly done based on "star power" if it makes sense. Most of the top skaters get judged way more leniently than the journeywomen, and frankly it should not be the case - if anything, should be the other way round IMO.

·
Registered
12,708 Posts
Agree. Relatedly, to me PCS is still very subjective and has bailed out many favorites from mediocre programs during competition. Patrick Chan and Kostner come to mind as repeated beneficiaries.

·
Registered
14,770 Posts
This year is going to explode with quads and triple Axels it seems, on the ladies side.

·
Chionophile
40,063 Posts
Yeah I understand that, I should probably have phrased my original statement better. I mean that the tech panel often don't call URs or pre-rotations so they don't downgrade the jumps regardless. Particularly for some of the American and Russian women who have blatant URs most of the time but aren't called out for it.

That's one thing I don't like about FS judging, it's that they are most of the time inconsistent and frankly done based on "star power" if it makes sense. Most of the top skaters get judged way more leniently than the journeywomen, and frankly it should not be the case - if anything, should be the other way round IMO.

Ok I get what you're saying but how do you know they're UR? The tech panel has access to slow motion cameras which we don't with most coverages.

41 - 60 of 435 Posts