Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Jorovic out too (injured) ! :help:

Estonia, Croatia, Hungary and Serbia are weak now ! :eek:
(Kanepi, Vekic, Martic, Babos and Jorovic withdrew late)

And suddenly Croatia is even in danger to get relegated :tape:

GB has a walking bye into World Group 2 play-offs :ras:
This could not be any easier for GB to advance
Is Kontaveit out as well now? On current form, she should beat Konta and/or Watson so I assume she is out if it couldn't be 'any easier' for GB?

·
Registered
52,979 Posts
Is Kontaveit out as well now? On current form, she should beat Konta and/or Watson so I assume she is out if it couldn't be 'any easier' for GB?
No, but the other 2 rubbers vs Estonia are walking byes for GB ! :yawn:

Really a cakewalk draw for GB. Sooo many withdrawals. Can't get more lucky

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
No, but the other 2 rubbers vs Estonia are walking byes for GB ! :yawn:

Really a cakewalk draw for GB. Sooo many withdrawals. Can't get more lucky
I disagree. Obviously it's a massive bonus for GB but it is still being held in Estonia and they still have Kontaveit. Less than 5 weeks ago Kontaveit beat Watson 3 and 0 and we obviously saw Konta lose to an ITF player ranked outside the top 100 recently so it's not a foregone conclusion at all. I'd fancy Kontaveit to win her rubber whoever it was against and then it will come down to the doubles rubber. Anna Smith and Katie Boulter aren't exactly a formidable opposition.

As a neutral, you want to see the best players playing, but at the same time, I genuinely think it's gone from a 70/30 tie in Estonia's favour (with Kanepi) to a 60/40 in GBs favour (without her), so the tie is actually closer now that Kanepi is out, but has just swung the other way.

We will obviously see what happens.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
You've got to feel for Kaia mind, it's just constant illness or injury and she can never seem to get a good run of games under her belt. Obviously this won't affect her ranking but it will be frustrating for her nonetheless.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I disagree. Obviously it's a massive bonus for GB but it is still being held in Estonia and they still have Kontaveit. Less than 5 weeks ago Kontaveit beat Watson 3 and 0 and we obviously saw Konta lose to an ITF player ranked outside the top 100 recently so it's not a foregone conclusion at all. I'd fancy Kontaveit to win her rubber whoever it was against and then it will come down to the doubles rubber. Anna Smith and Katie Boulter aren't exactly a formidable opposition.

As a neutral, you want to see the best players playing, but at the same time, I genuinely think it's gone from a 70/30 tie in Estonia's favour (with Kanepi) to a 60/40 in GBs favour (without her), so the tie is actually closer now that Kanepi is out, but has just swung the other way.

I agree - I haven't really got much of an idea of % chance, but it's no walkover.

I'd rather a full rosta of healthy players, regardless of the effect on GB's chances. It's best for the competition as a whole if the strongest nations are in the WG.

But if Kontaveit is playing, with home advantage, this group is not a foregone conclusion. Joss Rae retired recently, we're not taking Laura because she's shit, and Anna and Katie haven't played together before. Jo and Hev are both in and out, form-wise.

It'd be very surprising if Portugal won the group, of course.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
No martic,no vekic next week.While Konjuh is injured...
Oh yeah ,I almost forgot Fett is missing also... So,we have atm lukas,jurak ,biskic and boskovic.I guess we will pray BBB lukas for one point in singles and search for dbs point with jurak and boskovic IMO,boskovic is good potential in dbs tbh,should give her chance.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Serbia couldn't find a replacement for injured Jorović (everybody refused :spit: ), so they're going to Tallinn with only 3 players - Radanović, Danilović, Marinković.

·
Premium Member
66,166 Posts
Georgia better not find a way to lose all 3 matches. :rolleyes: Couldn't have possibly gotten an easier draw to stay in the group.

·
Registered
11,813 Posts

Bear in mind though, historically, Heather has always raised her game for Fed Cup, no matter how shite she has been playing on tour.

Also, Boulter will not be playing doubles.. :spit: It will be either Anna and Hev or Anna and Konta.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
77,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Arshinkova replaced Topalova for BUL.
Orav replaced Kanepi for EST.
Radisic replaced Jakupovic for SLO.
SWE added Bjorklund
Ozgen replaced Soylu for TUR

·
Registered
52,979 Posts
So Bulgaria with big chance for playoffs, but I can't see anyone else apart from Latvia and Great Britain to be promote.
Yes, I also hope that Bulgaria kicks ass ! ;)
Do you know why Petia Arshinkova replaced Gergana Topalova ?
And why is #208 ranked Kostova not playing ?

And yes, I also see GB and Latvia reach the WG 2 play-offs ! :p
I can't see anyone stop them (only maybe Poland could upset Latvia)

21 - 40 of 142 Posts