Reactions: CrossCourt~Rally

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
41,686 Posts
Are you serious? Players outside the Top 100 will end up seeded :scared: It will be by far the weakest tournament of the year, at least based on ranking.

It's the players themselves former top ten Bouchard and safarova, Watson won three titles, lepchenko a former top 30 player, Giorgi and babos.And the seeded player Brady at 80. Yes ranking wise not so great but player wise better than last year.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
On paper the list is weak but within the list are a bunch of accomplished players, as well as those with good prospects.

Disappointed not to see Lucic's name on there - maybe due to an injury she is struggling to heal?

Would be good if a top 20 player who doesn't perform well over the US Open series could wildcard in..

This has such a bad placement in the calendar but there is really no good week for it to go.. it's the stand alone indoor tournament left in the USA / Canada regions :sad:

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
This has such a bad placement in the calendar but there is really no good week for it to go.. it's the stand alone indoor tournament left in the USA / Canada regions :sad:
They could put a US/Canada indoor swing at the end of February. Reinstate Memphis as a premier and put this event in the same week as an alternative.

·
Premium Member
66,175 Posts
Did they keep the same surface when they changed the venue a few years ago? The scheduling is bad indeed, but some players also don't play here because the surface is weird, sticky in a way IIRC. Riske is one of them who hasn't played here since 2012.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
35,591 Posts
Did they keep the same surface when they changed the venue a few years ago? The scheduling is bad indeed, but some players also don't play here because the surface is weird, sticky in a way IIRC. Riske is one of them who hasn't played here since 2012.
Nope, they still have the same weird, bright blue surface. I've played on it a few times when I was working at the tournament and it is very very weird. I wonder why they don't use the same surface they have had for Fed Cup ties in Quebec City, which is much closer to hard courts and therefore wouldn't be as awkward for players heading to Asia afterwards.

It's really too bad because it's a great tournament, loved by all the players and with great history. It just doesn't fit anywhere anymore. Could be smart to have it outdoors during the summer, maybe in the Bucarest-Nanchang week? Players could start their American hard-court season early and then head to Washington.

I actually agree with a lot of posters that the list right now looks much better than the past few years. Players might not have huge rankings, but they are interesting and do well on the surface. Safarova, Dodin (defending champ), Genie, Maria who does well on quick surfaces, Van Uytvanck who can be great too, Broady, Watson, Lepchenko, local players Abanda, Andreescu (who might even get in without WC).

·
Premium Member
63,799 Posts
Viki here :hearts:

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Are you serious? Players outside the Top 100 will end up seeded :scared: It will be by far the weakest tournament of the year, at least based on ranking.
The seeding will be decided after the USO, I think that all seeds will be well inside the top 100.

·
Registered
32,105 Posts
Nope, they still have the same weird, bright blue surface. I've played on it a few times when I was working at the tournament and it is very very weird. I wonder why they don't use the same surface they have had for Fed Cup ties in Quebec City, which is much closer to hard courts and therefore wouldn't be as awkward for players heading to Asia afterwards.

It's really too bad because it's a great tournament, loved by all the players and with great history. It just doesn't fit anywhere anymore. Could be smart to have it outdoors during the summer, maybe in the Bucarest-Nanchang week? Players could start their American hard-court season early and then head to Washington.
Wasn't the blue carpet used due to the former title sponsor? The Davis/Fed Cup one would make a lot more sense now that Bell dropped the sponsorship.

Moving out outdoors during the USO Series would indeed be ideal. They could build a small stadium on the university grounds that could also hosts beach volleyball events.

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
Yes they still use that weird sticky light blue surface...they really should change it cuz it's a great tournament that players love to be part of but it's a weird scheduling for that type of surface. I reckon that a surface similar to the one they use for the Fed Cup and Davis Cup ties would be much better.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts