Tennis Forum banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Stanford usually stacks their alumni at the NCAA's to give their team that extra edge, of ghost's past, former NCAA champions.

Credit Gator coach Roland Thornqvist for not leaving anything to chance!!!

Ice Princess, Lauren Embree

Alex Cercone

Joanna Mather

I have to admit that Neel's performance was impressive. Had she give Davidson some wiggle room in the 3rd set, I wouldn't have been surprised if the other 2 matches would have gone the other way in Stanford's favor, although Emily was up a break, and I believe Lampl was on serve, behind a game.

Credit Melissa Lord for remaining undefeated in NCAA's.
I think Davidson lost some steam after too many critical 3 set matches.
Emily Arbuthnott, impressive showing as a freshman. I think she might jump up to #2 in the line-up with Lord at #1.
I don't know what that ball foul was about, but Lampl never made it a dull moment as she came up short this year.
Higuchi didn't quite look herself in the 1st set in the SF, so losing this match 0 & 0, I don't know what to make of it.
Either a combination of Keegan taking it to the next level and Higuchi unable to find a way into the match.
I see her jumping to #4 to allow for next year's freshmen.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
DiLorenzo and Carter both flopped in the first round of singles.

Hard to imagine anyone else in this draw getting a US Open MDWC, but I guess one of the Aussies will probably win now?

·
Registered
24,839 Posts
Really interested to know what happened to DiLorenzo, as she was so solid in the team tournament until now too. That is an extremely uncharacteristic loss for her.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Stanford usually stacks their alumni at the NCAA's to give their team that extra edge, of ghost's past, former NCAA champions.

I have to admit that Neel's performance was impressive. Had she give Davidson some wiggle room in the 3rd set, I wouldn't have been surprised if the other 2 matches would have gone the other way in Stanford's favor, although Emily was up a break, and I believe Lampl was on serve, behind a game.

Credit Melissa Lord for remaining undefeated in NCAA's.
I think Davidson lost some steam after too many critical 3 set matches.
Emily Arbuthnott, impressive showing as a freshman. I think she might jump up to #2 in the line-up with Lord at #1.
I don't know what that ball foul was about, but Lampl never made it a dull moment as she came up short this year.
Higuchi didn't quite look herself in the 1st set in the SF, so losing this match 0 & 0, I don't know what to make of it.
Either a combination of Keegan taking it to the next level and Higuchi unable to find a way into the match.
I see her jumping to #4 to allow for next year's freshmen.
With Gordon and Shin coming in, I think Stanford continues with any of their players being able to play any position. I see Lord playing #1 and after that, it's a toss up. I think Gordon definitely plays a top position meanwhile Shin likely plays #6.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great play by the Gators...deserved the Championship.

Fantastic season for the Card. Wonder if it would have been different if Zhao had stayed for her final year. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Can't wait for next season!

·
College Tennis/Team USA expert
9,320 Posts
Really interested to know what happened to DiLorenzo, as she was so solid in the team tournament until now too. That is an extremely uncharacteristic loss for her.
When I was working at the WTA, I remember Megan Rose (then Megan Bradley) talking about being undefeated and then going to NCAAs and in the individual tournament got so tight and nervous, she was shanking serves and shots and lost early. I could only imagine having the pressure DiLo had entering it, combined with the letdown of the team tournament. Hope her and Miho take it all

Really surprised Carter lost too (both opening matches). That had to be devastating. Sydney Campbell was my darkhorse entering the tournament and I thought Ellen Perez was going to go far. Can't forget about Sharma, who's had a great year as well.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
When I was working at the WTA, I remember Megan Rose (then Megan Bradley) talking about being undefeated and then going to NCAAs and in the individual tournament got so tight and nervous, she was shanking serves and shots and lost early. I could only imagine having the pressure DiLo had entering it, combined with the letdown of the team tournament. Hope her and Miho take it all

Really surprised Carter lost too (both opening matches). That had to be devastating. Sydney Campbell was my darkhorse entering the tournament and I thought Ellen Perez was going to go far. Can't forget about Sharma, who's had a great year as well.
Campbell's looking good against Shibahara now.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
One match away from a Jansen vs Routliffe doubles final.

2x NCAA champion partners facing each other in the final would be a pretty crazy storyline.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Ohio State spoiled the dream matchup. I guess DiLorenzo deserves a title but still :ras:

Finals tomorrow:

Woolcock (UF) v Minor (Michigan)

DiLorenzo/Kowase (OSU) v Pothoff/Routliffe (Alabama)

Could the USTA possibly give a US Open WC to Minor? I would hope they do, but it seems so farfetched.

·
Registered
24,839 Posts
Ohio State spoiled the dream matchup. I guess DiLorenzo deserves a title but still :ras:

Finals tomorrow:

Woolcock (UF) v Minor (Michigan)

DiLorenzo/Kowase (OSU) v Pothoff/Routliffe (Alabama)

Could the USTA possibly give a US Open WC to Minor? I would hope they do, but it seems so farfetched.
I would hope so too. These American players want that as much as the title itself, I'd imagine, and with the USTA increasing its college focus (with the new rankings, etc.), it would be a very hypocritical move to withhold the WC from a surprise winner.

·
Registered
43,626 Posts
Bri Minor won!!!!! :eek: :eek:

6-3, 6-3 over Woolcock. What a cinderella story run from her.

Wondering if there's any stat out there on the number of individual champions who don't play at #1? I know Bri played a part of the season at #1 but for the most part she was at #2. I'm sure this has happened before and possibly a #3 at a deep school but still this is very unexpected.

Hopefully they don't withhold the USO MDWC from her...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Wondering if there's any stat out there on the number of individual champions who don't play at #1? I know Bri played a part of the season at #1 but for the most part she was at #2. I'm sure this has happened before and possibly a #3 at a deep school but still this is very unexpected.
Seems like most of the Cinderellas lose in the finals, but 2s have definitely won recently, i.e. Danielle Collins (at least prior to her 1st title).

·
Registered
24,839 Posts
Brienne played lights out in that final! She hit a number of stunning winners, really fun to watch.

I'd love to see her play some USTA events this summer and wrap it up at the US Open. Major congrats to her!!

She is also, I believe, the first African American NCAA female singles champion ever and definitely not the Big 10 sophomore that people thought would be winning the title. That player (DiLorenzo), however, wrapped up her season very nicely with the doubles title! Funnily enough, she won it with Miho Kowase, on the courts where Kowase's older sister Maho played a starring role for Georgia!

141 - 156 of 156 Posts