Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
UF cruises 4-0 against South Caroline State 1st round. It's basically expected bagels galore wining #1 & #2 doubles 6-0 apiece and #4, #5, #6 singles all 6-0, 6-0.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Who are they playing and can you provide an analysis of their matchups ?
Who are they playing and can you provide an analysis of their matchups ?
They are in the Auburn section which is not a death draw like UNC or Florida. Their #1 Krawchek has lost a few tough ones in team NCAAs the past few seasons, but can beat anyone on any given day. Just a nasty forehand. Off the ground so good. Their #2 Jump has one of the best backhands in the college game. Their doubles is really solid, and having Vlad at 4 in singles is a luxury that only a top 12 team would have. I assume Vlad is fully healthy. They are maybe a touch weak at 6, but this team could beat anyone on any given day. Perhaps I am overselling them, but aside from Ga Tech, this is the one team as a 1 seed I would not want in my pod.

·
Banned
7,560 Posts
#74 UC Santa Barbara defeats #32 Kansas, 4-3.
#41 Rice defeats #31 Clemson 5-2.
#37 TCU defeats #29 William and Mary
#40 Baylor defeats #26 Wake Forest
Pepperdine and USC both win to set up a titanic R2 Matchup.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I really think they are a dangerous darkhorse.
There's a few story lines that Stanford has yet to bring up.
It's kind of a dejavu situation when Gibbs was a junior in 2013 and ready to turn pro.

Gibbs was in danger of leaving Stanford without a NCAA Team ring.
...Stanford has had only two classes (1991 & 1992) in history to go 4 years without a NCAA Team ring.
...Gibbs & Ahn were ranked #2 recruiting class in 2010.
...What was ironic was that what helped Gibbs get that ring in 2013 and beat #5, #4, #1, and #3 to win the title was a person least likely to contribute.

Krista Hardebeck "Lean on me..."
Against #5 USC, her doubles win was one of the deciding factors, in 4-3 win, although credit Tsay for clinching win in singles.
...Dillon/Hardebeck (STAN) d. DeSimone/Lao (USC) 8-1

Against #4 Georgia, she had the deciding win in singles to win 4-1.
...No. 14 Krista Hardebeck (STAN) d. No. 104 Silvia Garcia (UGA) 2-6, 6-1, 6-1

Against #1 Florida, she had the clinching win in singles to win 4-3.
...No. 14 Krista Hardebeck (STAN) d. No. 51 Alexandra Cercone (FLA) 6-7 (5), 7-6 (5), 6-3

Against #3 Texas A&M, her doubles win was one of the deciding factors, in 4-3 win, although credit Ahn for clinching win in singles.
...Dillon/Hardebeck (STAN) d. Deheza/Deheza (TAMU) 8-5

Hardebeck is on a roll this year having not loss a dual match since February. Her best statistical year, although she played at #4.
She bageled her opponent, yesterday, and only Stanford player to do so, which is normally a given in R1.

Looking forward to next year, if Zhao turns pro, I really doubt Davidson and Doyle can lead Stanford to a title.

(Storyline #1) The point that I took too long to make is that the #1 recruiting team of Zhao, Davidson, and Doyle (2013) need the win this year or are in danger of joining the class of 1991 and 1992, as only Stanford alumni to not have a NCAA team ring.
...I am pretty sure that doesn't go to well in alumni get togethers.

Of course Zhao will have to carry the team, like Gibbs did in 2013 and the key person to watch is "lean on me" Krista Hardebeck (Storyline #2), who got it done in 2013 as a Freshman and plans to go out in style in 2016 as a Senior.

I wasn't afraid to mention that Stanford's win over Florida in the regular season doesn't help their cause in NCAA's, as neither team as won both regular season matches and NCAA's agains t each other, every since they started to battle against one another and skip the Indoors. (Storyline #3) Can Stanford defy odds again, given Florida has been #1 and #2 all year and the heavy favorite in R16 and the situational favorite, after losing in the regular season match-up?

Bottom Line: The biggest and most dangerous darkhorse has to be Stanford. ;)

·
Banned
7,560 Posts
Duke and Miami both took the doubles point against Texas and TCU respectively.

Duke currently in a battle in singles, Miami comfortably leading so far against TCU.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Georgia Tech routs South Carolina 4-0. Expected "upset", but even less competitive than you might've thought.

I'll be curious to see how GT fares against Ohio St or UCLA.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Not that surprised that we're getting upsets this year. It'll be interesting to see how many unseeded teams get into the sweet 16 by the end of the day.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
UCLA takes the doubles point against Ohio State with wins on 1 and 2. UCLA was up 5-2 on 2 but Ohio State came back to send it to a tiebreak. UCLA finally won it 10-8 in the tiebreak.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I just want to put this in writing before the tournament starts, since the few previews out there don't mention it at all: Arizona State is going to upset and make sweet 16.

They are just too good on paper to not overachieve this year. I really think they are a dangerous darkhorse.
So much for that :surprise:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
UCLA is done. After winning the doubles point, Ohio State won the first set on all 6 matches. It's currently tied 1-1 after OSU won on court 6. Looks like 2 and 4 will be finishing pretty soon in OSU's way too.

41 - 60 of 225 Posts