Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Me too, but it was her own doing by not playing enough and not doing as well as she should've.
If Carol follows through on her current plan to go pro this summer, as detailed in the article linked below, then she won't get another chance either.

Whether or not she goes pro is obviously her decision, but her 8-8 record at lower-tier ITF tournaments isn't exactly noteworthy (although, as noted in the article, she was only on the tour for a few months, which isn't a ton of time to acclimate/adjust). Couple that with her statement that "After a while, [the tour] gets pretty mundane", and I don't know why she wouldn't just finish her degree and then go pro. If she waits, she'll save a year's worth of tuition (~$50K), and won't have to come back for an additional year to complete her degree later (potentially years after she was last in the classroom, and after potentially having forgotten some of the key academic fundamentals learned in pre-req courses). If she had performed more strongly during her time on the tour last summer and fall, I'd likely have a different opinion, but, unlike Gibbs who had little left to prove at the college level (having won 2 individual, one doubles and one team titles), Zhao has plenty left to prove (having won zero NCAA titles).

Just my 2 cents. Commence attacking me... ;)

Women's tennis: Carol Zhao to choose between Stanford and pro tour - San Jose Mercury News

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Me too, but it was her own doing by not playing enough and not doing as well as she should've.
She was 8-1, so I think you got the first part right.
Given Carol's circumstance, I feel that the powers to be should make an exception, similar to having a wild-card, given she was finalist last year and wasn't playing poorly this year, just not enough matches.
Unfortunately, its decided more statistically and less common sense.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
If Carol follows through on her current plan to go pro this summer, as detailed in the article linked below, then she won't get another chance either.

Whether or not she goes pro is obviously her decision, but her 8-8 record at lower-tier ITF tournaments isn't exactly noteworthy (although, as noted in the article, she was only on the tour for a few months, which isn't a ton of time to acclimate/adjust). Couple that with her statement that "After a while, [the tour] gets pretty mundane", and I don't know why she wouldn't just finish her degree and then go pro. If she waits, she'll save a year's worth of tuition (~$50K), and won't have to come back for an additional year to complete her degree later (potentially years after she was last in the classroom, and after potentially having forgotten some of the key academic fundamentals learned in pre-req courses). If she had performed more strongly during her time on the tour last summer and fall, I'd likely have a different opinion, but, unlike Gibbs who had little left to prove at the college level (having won 2 individual, one doubles and one team titles), Zhao has plenty left to prove (having won zero NCAA titles).

Just my 2 cents. Commence attacking me... ;)

Women's tennis: Carol Zhao to choose between Stanford and pro tour - San Jose Mercury News
Carol should just stay in school as I just don't see that her game is suited for the pro's.
Also, I don't think she has anything to prove, because from where she's standing, she's Canadian, and playing for her country is more important than 4 NCAA (American) singles titles.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
NCAA Tournament Roundable

Selective comments (ok biasedly selected :laugh2: )

Bobby Knight, College Tennis Today author
On the women's side the return of Carol Zhao took Stanford from a likely third or fourth place finish to another conference championship after they beat both Cal and USC in the final week of the regular season.

Joey Dillon, College Contributor
For the women, the Stanford Cardinal proved yet again you can't count them out with a Pac-12 title. With Carol Zhao fully in their lineup, they can challenge anyone for the title.

Tony Minnis, College Sports Weekly host
For the women, I was impressed that Stanford went from close to not hosting opening round matches in the NCAAs to upsetting Cal and winning the PAC-12 title.

·
Registered
24,839 Posts
I don't think the committee should have made an exception at all. If Carol wanted to/cared about playing singles, she would have played enough matches to be in range. You can't have your cake and eat it too, and it definitely seems like she cares more about grabbing that team title anyways.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
NCAA Tournament Roundable

Selective comments (ok biasedly selected :laugh2: )

Bobby Knight, College Tennis Today author
On the women's side the return of Carol Zhao took Stanford from a likely third or fourth place finish to another conference championship after they beat both Cal and USC in the final week of the regular season.

Joey Dillon, College Contributor
For the women, the Stanford Cardinal proved yet again you can't count them out with a Pac-12 title. With Carol Zhao fully in their lineup, they can challenge anyone for the title.

Tony Minnis, College Sports Weekly host
For the women, I was impressed that Stanford went from close to not hosting opening round matches in the NCAAs to upsetting Cal and winning the PAC-12 title.
@tennisbuddy12

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I don't think the committee should have made an exception at all. If Carol wanted to/cared about playing singles, she would have played enough matches to be in range. You can't have your cake and eat it too, and it definitely seems like she cares more about grabbing that team title anyways.
I would like to have seen her play, not saying she really deserves it and I agree she doesn't really care about the singles as much as team and playing for Canada.

My interest is out of curiosity if she has the game to win it.
Honestly, I really don't think she does and I think last year was a fluke, but I wanted to see otherwise, if I am wrong about this. :devil:

I still think if she turns pro, next year, that would be a mistake.
Her best move is to get that Stanford degree, first and foremost.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm clearly very biased toward Stanford, and I'd love to see Carol in the draw, but I completely agree with you that an exception shouldn't have been granted. She controlled the outcome of this.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
College gets no respect...youtube-not, streamed-probably on NCAA channel a week later when no one cares. :mad:

YT is currently streaming the MCLA - college club level men's lacrosse - so that it should do the same for varsity level women's tennis. Let's hope some channel will be opened up.

·
College Tennis/Team USA expert
9,320 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just want to put this in writing before the tournament starts, since the few previews out there don't mention it at all: Arizona State is going to upset and make sweet 16.

They are just too good on paper to not overachieve this year. I really think they are a dangerous darkhorse.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I just want to put this in writing before the tournament starts, since the few previews out there don't mention it at all: Arizona State is going to upset and make sweet 16.

They are just too good on paper to not overachieve this year. I really think they are a dangerous darkhorse.
Who are they playing and can you provide an analysis of their matchups ?

21 - 40 of 225 Posts