Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I said it in the beginning of the season that Cal was the team to beat, even when USC was near the top of the ranking and UCLA had the residual respect to be a top team.

With all of the players graduating or turning pro neither of the So.Cal teams can compete against Cal and it was proven this weekend.

I still think Stanford has a shot at Cal but it is still to early as they have untested players and their top 3 is no match against Cal's top 3, so I consider Cal the favorite and Stanford a dark horse.
Yes, but when Zhao returns, Stanford will be stronger again at the top. And by then, the froshies will be battle-tested.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, but when Zhao returns, Stanford will be stronger again at the top. And by then, the froshies will be battle-tested.
I am definitely looking forward to UF's west coast swing when they take on both CAL & STAN in the same weekend. Any predictions?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I am definitely looking forward to UF's west coast swing when they take on both CAL & STAN in the same weekend. Any predictions?
Coming from you that's a tone of confidence as you're usually more subtle :lol:

UF wins over Cal (5-2)
UF wins over Stan (6-1)

I give Stan the one win, not because they are closely matched with Cal, but because UF may be a little emotionally spent after beating Cal.

Sorry OldBlue but Cal will be exposed in this one...

·
Registered
84 Posts

UF wins over Cal (5-2)
UF wins over Stan (6-1)

I give Stan the one win, not because they are closely matched with Cal, but because UF may be a little emotionally spent after beating Cal.

Well, according to the UF website, the Florida-Cal match is taking place at Stanford, at 4:30pm (or 1:30pm PST).

While apparently Cal is expecting the Gators in Berkeley at noon. So according to this, if the Gators go to the wrong place at the wrong time, then I predict a Cal victory. LOL

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

UF wins over Cal (5-2)
UF wins over Stan (6-1)

haha no I really am wanting a good match between those teams just for tennis sake ;) lol

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, according to the UF website, the Florida-Cal match is taking place at Stanford, at 4:30pm (or 1:30pm PST).

While apparently Cal is expecting the Gators in Berkeley at noon. So according to this, if the Gators go to the wrong place at the wrong time, then I predict a Cal victory. LOL
I want to venture and say that the match will be closer than what everyone expects.

Also, I think for the CAL-UF match, coaches might decide to halt the match when a team wins first to 4 and not finishing the whole match as to conserve energy for the second match they'll be playing that weekend. I notice they do that sometimes.

·
Registered
224 Posts

UF wins over Cal (5-2)
UF wins over Stan (6-1)

Based on Stanford's results thus far this year, I think the 6-1 prediction is unfortunately quite likely. Davidson and Doyle are solid players, but I don't think they'll be any match for Austin and Woolcock (especially if the latter is playing like she has been recently). I'm not sure where I'd allocate Stanford's point, but there's a chance it could come from doubles; I also wouldn't be surprised to see it come from Hardebeck at #3 or Lampl at #4. Florida's depth is too strong for Stanford (especially without Zhao), so I expect this one to be like the Vandy match, with relatively lop-sided scores.

I also agree with the 5-2 UF prediction over Cal, but I think it could also go 6-1 or 4-3 in UF's favor. I think the end result will depend more on Cal than it will on UF. If Cal starts slowly like it did on the top 2 courts against UCLA, I think both of those points will definitely go UF's way, as Austin's and Woolcock's games are far stronger than UCLA's top 2, and UF won't let Cal back into the matches like UCLA did. That being said, Manasse and Fabikova are both solid players, so if either of their opponents have a letdown, then I think these matches could be in play. I think Chi has a decent-ish shot against Kuhlman and maaaaaaaybe Starr again Keegan, but I think the bottom two spots will be easy-ish wins for UF (especially if Danilina continues to play the way she has lately...but I do note that Morgan can have some unexpected downs at times, so who knows about that one). I do think that UF will win this match comfortably though.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Based on Stanford's results thus far this year, I think the 6-1 prediction is unfortunately quite likely. Davidson and Doyle are solid players, but I don't think they'll be any match for Austin and Woolcock (especially if the latter is playing like she has been recently). I'm not sure where I'd allocate Stanford's point, but there's a chance it could come from doubles; I also wouldn't be surprised to see it come from Hardebeck at #3 or Lampl at #4. Florida's depth is too strong for Stanford (especially without Zhao), so I expect this one to be like the Vandy match, with relatively lop-sided scores.

I also agree with the 5-2 UF prediction over Cal, but I think it could also go 6-1 or 4-3 in UF's favor. I think the end result will depend more on Cal than it will on UF. If Cal starts slowly like it did on the top 2 courts against UCLA, I think both of those points will definitely go UF's way, as Austin's and Woolcock's games are far stronger than UCLA's top 2, and UF won't let Cal back into the matches like UCLA did. That being said, Manasse and Fabikova are both solid players, so if either of their opponents have a letdown, then I think these matches could be in play. I think Chi has a decent-ish shot against Kuhlman and maaaaaaaybe Starr again Keegan, but I think the bottom two spots will be easy-ish wins for UF (especially if Danilina continues to play the way she has lately...but I do note that Morgan can have some unexpected downs at times, so who knows about that one). I do think that UF will win this match comfortably though.

Just my 2 cents...
I agree. I don't see a matchup where I would say Cal would be favored, and I think that doubles to Florida seems a sure thing.

That said, I also don't see a match up where Cal has no chance, either. The Bears have played some tight individual matches this year already, so maybe even if Florida gets out quick, Cal will hang it there, especially at home. This is probably most likely the case with someone like Hauger. Morgan can hit her off the court, or Hauger can stay in points long enough to break her rhythm and frustrate her.

Florida is Cal's second match of the week, so I hope they play the matches out. Florida may not want to, though, since they would still have to play Stanford.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Florida is up 3-2 after wins in doubles and singles 1 and 2. Cal got wins on 3 and 6.

Hauger came back from a 5-3 deficit in the 2nd to go up 6-5. She will be serving for it after Morgan's medical timeout.

Chi looks like she will get the 2nd set to force a 3rd.

This match is closer than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Chi is rolling. Looks like it will come down to court 5. The freshman vs. the senior. I'm not sure what's wrong with Morgan.
who knows. she had it in her racquet. Up 1 set and 5-2, 30-0. now she is about to lose. Cal seems like they played great. I expect the gators to use this as a fuel to do better in the future. Also, a bit surprised at how Danilina lost so easily at #6. Girl for Cal has to be pretty good.

·
Registered
24,839 Posts
And Hauger comes up huge to clinch again. This girl must have nerves of steel!

What a win for Cal. Who's going to beat them? I sincerely hope that they all stay healthy this year

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
who knows. she had it in her racquet. Up 1 set and 5-2, 30-0. now she is about to lose. Cal seems like they played great. I expect the gators to use this as a fuel to do better in the future. Also, a bit surprised at how Danilina lost so easily at #6. Girl for Cal has to be pretty good.
Popovic for Cal is good. She's also consistent. Her serve is horrible though. Her second serve is so bad that she was serving underhand last year. I'm not sure if it was because she was injured or not. I'm surprised Danilina lost so easily.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I am a bit surprised about the line-up showing Lampl at #3 and #5, missing Taylor Davidson, obviously.

Glad to see Carol Zhao back after her $25k doubles final with JP but why is Doyle playing #1?

Appears they will be playing singles before doubles? Or not playing doubles at all, maybe to shorten the contest since Gators have to fly back tonight...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I am a bit surprised about the line-up showing Lampl at #3 and #5, missing Taylor Davidson, obviously.

Glad to see Carol Zhao back after her $25k doubles final with JP but why is Doyle playing #1?

Appears they will be playing singles before doubles? Or not playing doubles at all, maybe to shorten the contest since Gators have to fly back tonight...

maybe so to catch the flight. interesting for sure for Zhao at #1.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I hear Stanford's band in the background...feels like a NCAA final! :grin2:

Doubles for Stanford:
#1: Davidson & Doyle
#2: Zhao & Yee
#3: Hardeback & Lampl

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
correction. i am seeing 2 girls each team on court, so they are starting with doubles then.
and yay for live stream!!

21 - 40 of 170 Posts