Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
47,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to make a thread for NIIC which started yesterday but it seems there isn't much interest around college tennis anymore (where's that rabid thing frantic when you need it?).

Figured we can just use this thread to discuss results and whatever else for this season. :shrug:

·
23,665 Posts
NIIC R16

(1)Francesca Di Lorenzo (Ohio State) d. Karla Popovic (California) 60 64
Sydney Campbell (Vanderbilt) d. Lily Miyazaki (Oklahoma) 62 63
Meible Chi (Duke) d. (3)Luisa Stefani (Pepperdine) 76(3) 76(13)
Josie Kuhlman (Florida) d. (8)Jessie Aney (North Carolina) 64 62

Viktoriya Lushkova (Oklahoma State) d. Ashley Lahey (Pepperdine) 75 46 63
(4)Hayley Carter (North Carolina) d. Maegan Manasse (California) 62 62
(5)Astra Sharma (Vanderbilt) d. Alizee Michaud (Auburn) 75 36 64
Blair Shankle (Baylor) d. (2)Ena Shibahara (UCLA) 75 36 63

·
Registered
47,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NIIC R16

(1)Francesca Di Lorenzo (Ohio State) d. Karla Popovic (California) 60 64
Sydney Campbell (Vanderbilt) d. Lily Miyazaki (Oklahoma) 62 63
Meible Chi (Duke) d. (3)Luisa Stefani (Pepperdine) 76(3) 76(13)
Josie Kuhlman (Florida) d. (8)Jessie Aney (North Carolina) 64 62

Viktoriya Lushkova (Oklahoma State) d. Ashley Lahey (Pepperdine) 75 46 63
(4)Hayley Carter (North Carolina) d. Maegan Manasse (California) 62 62
(5)Astra Sharma (Vanderbilt) d. Alizee Michaud (Auburn) 75 36 64
Blair Shankle (Baylor) d. (2)Ena Shibahara (UCLA) 75 36 63
Happy you're back. :)

Di Lorenzo seems simply unstoppable.

·
23,665 Posts
NIIC QF

(1)Francesca Di Lorenzo (Ohio State) d. Sydney Campbell (Vanderbilt) 62 57 61
Meible Chi (Duke) d. Josie Kuhlman (Florida) 62 62

(4)Hayley Carter (North Carolina) d. Viktoriya Lushkova (Oklahoma State) 63 61
(5)Astra Sharma (Vanderbilt) d. Blair Shankle (Baylor) 62 64

·
Registered
47,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How interesting that 3/4 semifinalists are the same from Riviera. Sharma really cementing herself as one of the best players in college tennis right now. :yeah:

·
23,665 Posts
NIIC SF

(1)Francesca Di Lorenzo (Ohio State) d. Meible Chi (Duke) 61 62
(4)Hayley Carter (North Carolina) d. (5)Astra Sharma (Vanderbilt) 64 63

·
23,665 Posts
NIIC Final

(1)Francesca Di Lorenzo (Ohio State) d. (4)Hayley Carter (North Carolina) 61 61

Di Lorenzo won all 7 no-ad points.

·
Registered
47,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NIIC Final

(1)Francesca Di Lorenzo (Ohio State) d. (4)Hayley Carter (North Carolina) 61 61

Di Lorenzo won all 7 no-ad points.
Just a totally ridiculous format. Di Lorenzo would have won anyway but that is just a perfect example of how broken the scoring system is.

No way she stays in college after this year, surely.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Lord GOATing at Freeman...

Melissa Lord (STAN) d. No. 45 Makenna Jones (UNC) 6-2, 6-1
Melissa Lord (STAN) d. No. 8 Luisa Stefani (PEPP) 6-0, 6-2
Melissa Lord (STAN) d. No. 34 Chalena Scholl (DUKE) 6-0, 6-2

Some other interesting results from Vegas:

Jada Hart (UCLA) def. Brooke Austin (UF) 6-4, 6-7, 7-6
(1) #4 Ena Shibahara (UCLA) def. Aliona Bolsova (OSU) 6-7, 7-6, 7-6
Ingrid Neel (UF) def. (3) #9 Jessie Aney (UNC) 7-6, 6-2

SFs are Shibahara v Sherif Ahmed and Neel v Lord.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Lord wins the Freeman Memorial. Stanford's new #1?

SINGLES FLIGHT ONE SEMIFINALS (Jan. 15)
Melissa Lord (STAN) def. Ingrid Neel (UF) 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
(1) #4 Ena Shibahara (UCLA) def. (6) #22 Mayar Sherif Ahmed (PEPP) 6-4, 6-3

SINGLES FLIGHT ONE FINALS (Jan. 15)
Melissa Lord (STAN) def. (1) #4 Ena Shibahara (UCLA) 6-3, 6-3

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Lord wins the Freeman Memorial. Stanford's new #1?
Has there ever been a player to jump from #6 to #1 in the line-up?

I think either Davidson or Doyle would do poorly at #1 and would be better at #3 and #4.

Perhaps Lord at #1 and Lampl at #2 would be appropriate based on their potential, especially as they both finished strong last year.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Has there ever been a player to jump from #6 to #1 in the line-up?

I think either Davidson or Doyle would do poorly at #1 and would be better at #3 and #4.

Perhaps Lord at #1 and Lampl at #2 would be appropriate based on their potential, especially as they both finished strong last year.
Yes, Mannasse did it at Cal. She was #6 her freshman year and then jumped to #1 her sophomore year I believe. I like Lord's game. She has solid groundstrokes and is consistent.

Stanford has 5 players that could play #1: Lord, Davidson, Doyle, Higuchi, and Lampl. They'll have a solid singles lineup. Interesting that we're not even talking about Yee anymore. :confused:

·
Registered
24,831 Posts
Yes, Mannasse did it at Cal. She was #6 her freshman year and then jumped to #1 her sophomore year I believe. I like Lord's game. She has solid groundstrokes and is consistent.

Stanford has 5 players that could play #1: Lord, Davidson, Doyle, Higuchi, and Lampl. They'll have a solid singles lineup. Interesting that we're not even talking about Yee anymore. :confused:
How good is Arbuthnott? Will she be in the lineup? I've never seen her play.

If this week is any indication, Lord should be #1, at least to start. No one else on the current roster has ever beaten that many high caliber players so convincingly back to back to back. I'll be very interested to see if she can keep it up and will look at the Stanford and Cal schedules to see which matches I can check out this season!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
How good is Arbuthnott? Will she be in the lineup? I've never seen her play.

If this week is any indication, Lord should be #1, at least to start. No one else on the current roster has ever beaten that many high caliber players so convincingly back to back to back. I'll be very interested to see if she can keep it up and will look at the Stanford and Cal schedules to see which matches I can check out this season!
I would play Arbuthnott ahead of Yee at this point. Arbuthnott lost to Alexa Graham 4-6, 5-7 in the first round. In consolation, she defeated Milovanovic of Pepperdine 6-2, 6-4, then Alyssa Smith of Duke 6-3, 6-0, then #46 Makenna Jones of UNC 6-1, 6-3.

I'm interested to see Lord play though. I wonder if there is anything new about her game.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Oh yeah! I think Mannasse had a great fall too to push her to #1 and I think injury had to do with too to their former #1.

You had Yee figured out from the get go. I though her injury may have plagued the progress in her game, but I suppose she didn't have much of a game to take to the next level.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I would play Arbuthnott ahead of Yee at this point. Arbuthnott lost to Alexa Graham 4-6, 5-7 in the first round. In consolation, she defeated Milovanovic of Pepperdine 6-2, 6-4, then Alyssa Smith of Duke 6-3, 6-0, then #46 Makenna Jones of UNC 6-1, 6-3.

I'm interested to see Lord play though. I wonder if there is anything new about her game.
I think Yee is just happy to play at Stanford and add to their depth at #7, a nice change. Recruiting Arbuthnott, one of GB top juniors, Lele had to promise her to play in the starting line-up. Looks like another year with Freshman's at #5 and #6 to play pivotal roles.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts