Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the 105 stadium in Genoa, here are the teams:

The tie is on indoor clay and will be played from February 7-8.

·
Banned
425 Posts
I forecast (and hope) an Italian victory, 2 to 1 before the last single, than Giorgi beats Garcia for the decisive 3 to 1, followed by an useless italian victory in the double, overall score 4 to 1.
Cross fingers!

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
I think it will be very close. I'm pulling for France but honestly who knows.
It will probably be:
Cornet-Giorgi
Garcia-Errani
Cornet-Errani why you say vamos? :eek:h:
Garcia-Giorgi
Garcia/Mladenovic-Errani/Vinci

I can see the French girls pulling off the upset, but being that the tie is in Italy and on clay will make it tougher. Still though, Errani is way out of form and Giorgi is so inconsistent you never know what to expect. French girls will have to win three out of the four singles to win because a doubles win seems unlikely. Garcia/Mladenovic would be a good pair as both are exceptional doubles players, but their inexperience will make it tough to beat Errani/Vinci who are just very solid. Cornet could be a hero and she always has drama with Errani and Giorgi, will be a fun tie :lol:

I think Italy will win but France could definitely win as well, depends on how they play. A lot of the Italian girls are out of form.

·
Banned
425 Posts
It's a very tight match, and hopefully a nice one, surely from the emotional point.
What is interesting is that it is not just a matter of Errani/Giorgi vs. Cornet/Garcia, the point is that in this event the captains play a very relevant role, their assistance and suggestions during the end changes can be decisive, most of the girls are not so solid mentally (let alone Camila), a good coaching can change a lot, from both sides.
So actually the game is between Errani/Giorgi/Barazzuti vs. Cornet/Garcia/Mauresmo, even more interesting.

The Italian television will cover the event very well, the national network Raisport2 with all live broadcasting, and full replay of the matches every evening on Supertennis, hope it is the same in France.

·
Registered
54,006 Posts
Agree, I also expect a very tight tie. A lot of drama :drool:

Fighter Errani, drama fighter Cornet, talented Giorgi, Garcia. All close

Mladenovic is very good in doubles. Garcia and Cornet also had really good results
And Errani and Vinci are a very experienced, solid, successful doubles team

Really no idea who will win. Maybe Italy because of home advantage ?

·
Banned
425 Posts
The first match is almost decisive: Errani has a negative H2H vs. Garcia, 2-0, on clay and grass, very scaring.
A victory by Sara could be an almost sure win for Italy, on the other hand a loss (not surprising) would make the following matches really heartbreaking.
One point sure: no boring tennis this weekend!

·
Registered
27,407 Posts
This tie has everything :drool:
Cornet, Errani, Giorgi and Garcia should provide lot of drama :cheer:

·
Registered
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanna see Camila vs Caroline. Imagine what that's gonna be like :lol:

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I hope that France will win. But it's very unpredictable tie. It would be 2-0 or 0-2 or 1-1 after the first day.
:cheer:

·
Banned
425 Posts
Italy leads 2-0, almost done.
Two totally different victories.
Errani beats Garcia 7-6 7-5 in 2 hours with her grit, determination, patience and experience. Match highly emotive, an impressive number of breaks, long rallies.
Giorgi beats Cornet 6-4 6-2 in just 1:20 hours with her power, speed and precision. Match with wonderful points, mainly by Giorgi but a few also by Cornet, specially aces. No break suffered by Giorgi, very short rallies, an outstanding number of winners by Camila (by the way, one, only one double fault!).

I have only one regret: there is a serious thread not to see the last single, Giorgi-Garcia, that could instead be the best of all.
OK, it will be another time (a Grand Slam final?)

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
France :facepalm:
Garcia really messed it up :tape: Cornet tried her best :shrug:

I wish that Alize can beat Sara and yell "VAMOSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!" after MP :hearts::hearts::hearts: but it's unlikely :tears:
France can still do it but they really needed to get off to a good start, will be tough now but not too late just yet...

·
Banned
425 Posts
My previous post was after all right, "almost" done.
The point is that sometimes "almost" is not enough, and this is one of that times.

Mauresmo made an hat trick, choosing Kristina Mladenovic instead of a frustrated Cornet for the first single of the day, and the young and powerful Mladenovic, free from metal issues, outpowered easily an always more confused Errani, 6-4 6-3.
This was enough to change the momemtum of the match: Garcia, that looked mentally weak yesterday, this time was almost perfect, with a lethal amount of aces, and on the other side Giorgi failed to maintain the precision of the first match, making a lot of errors and double faults. Even if the first set went to Giorgi, the rest of the match was without story, 4-6 6-0 6-2.

At this point what on paper was the strong point of Italy, the double, immediately appeared a weak one: on one side two young and tall girls coming from two clear victories, on the other side two small and not-so-young girls frustrated.
Almost a merciless slaughter, what was once the strongest double, undefeated on Fed Cup, lost 1-6 2-6.

Game over, a well deserved triumph for France, heroine of the day a practically perfect Mladenovic, fantastic move by Mauresmo.

Regrets from the Italian side? Not really, apart beeing sad to see a strong duo, Errani-Vinci, fade out.

Chapeau!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts