Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ITF has announced three more nations set to host 2015 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas Zone Group events.

Asia/Oceania Zone Group I will take place at the Guangdong Olympic Sports Centre in Guangzhou, China P.R, on 4-7 February.

Asia/Oceania Zone Group II is set for the SAAP Tennis Complex in Hyderabad, India, the week commencing 13 April; while Europe/Africa Zone Group III will be played at the Bellevue Stadium in Ulcinj, Montenegro, the same week.
http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/188802.aspx

·
Registered
53,578 Posts
Will Caroline Wozniacki be able to play here ? (she last played in 2011)

Or is this E/A Group 3 played parallel to an important WTA event again ? :eek:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Caroline has said she will play, and it's confirmed by Danish Tennis Association.

Group III is scheduled to play the week between the two premiers of Charleston & Stuttgart. So it doesn't interfere with her schedule in any way. I'm not saying she'll play both Charleston & Stuttgart (I don't know), but those are in fact the only WTA tournamnets she can possibly play in April (since she has an International on her schedule in January).

·
Registered
37,340 Posts
Caroline has said she will play, and it's confirmed by Danish Tennis Association.

Group III is scheduled to play the week between the two premiers of Charleston & Stuttgart. So it doesn't interfere with her schedule in any way. I'm not saying she'll play both Charleston & Stuttgart (I don't know), but those are in fact the only WTA tournamnets she can possibly play in April (since she has an International on her schedule in January).
Really should have played in Tallinn this year.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
List of Zone group III nations:

Algeria
Angola
Armenia
Congo
Cyprus
Denmark
Greece
Iceland
Lithuania
Macedonia
Madagascar
Malta
Mauritius
Moldova
Montenegro
Mozambique
Namibia
Norway
Rwanda

Some withdrawals will no doubt occur (only 12 nations participated in 2014).

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. Mauritius also seems unlikely, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if the final list of participants is reduced to 12 nations once again.

It's a bit surprising, though, that Morocco hasn't entered. Morocco hosts a few pro tournaments and even a WTA tournament, and did participate every year 2008-2013.

·
Registered
53,578 Posts
List of Zone group III nations:

Algeria
Angola
Armenia
Congo
Cyprus
Denmark
Greece
Iceland
Lithuania
Macedonia
Madagascar
Malta
Mauritius
Moldova
Montenegro
Mozambique
Namibia
Norway
Rwanda

Some withdrawals will no doubt occur (only 12 nations participated in 2014).
This list is not right. You looked at "Teams" but you must look at "Draws & Results" :p

·
Registered
53,578 Posts

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
I'm disappointed that Lina and Magda couldn't put together a team. Maybe in 2016...

This will be hard for Greece but if we send our best team (which we never do), then I can see us being promoted. The team will probably be Maria Sakkari, Valentini Grammatikopoulou, Despina Papamichail, and Agni Stefanou/Angeliki Kairi. I doubt Eleni will play since she hasn't played in four years :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
If Wozniacki is going (which seems likely given she needs to for Olympic qualification) then this is pretty much a foregone conclusion. Kovinic is probably the only player, eligible for this draw, with a hope of taking more than a handful of games off her.

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
Amount of players with WTA singles rankings per country:
Armenia-0
Cyprus-0
Denmark-3
Greece-9
Iceland-0
Lithuania-4
Madagascar-1
Malta-0
Moldova-5
Montenegro-3
Namibia-0
Norway-4

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
Cypriot girls seem really funny and speak English flawlessly :speakles:

I don't think I would ever want to be sitting near them on a plane :hysteric::tape:

I remember they had other videos but I guess they got deleted from YouTube. Anyways I remember they said the Liechtenstein girls were mean at the players party :eek:h:

·
Premium Member
62,381 Posts
Namibia :cheer:

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
Unlikely but I believe Sprem would have to play for Cyprus if she wants to go to Rio :speakles:
(Baghdatis talked last year about playing mixed with her in Rio and that they would ask the ITF for a WC, but I feel like she's not into it :shrug:

1 - 20 of 174 Posts