1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/Sport/2363480/Article/index_html

Malaysia to host women stars

By Ajitpal [email protected]

IMAGINE women's World No 1 Serena Williams of the United States up against Russia's Maria Sharapova with the Petronas Twin Towers as a spectacular backdrop.

This could become reality in the second half of next year when Kuala Lumpur hosts the US$400,000 (about RM1.4 million) Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Malaysian Open.

The tournament, a Tier Two WTA event, is expected to attract some of the top names in women's tennis.

A makeshift tennis stadium will be erected at the Twin Towers' open car park specially for the event which Malaysian players will not be left out of as the WTA is offering three wild cards to the hosts.

National No 1 Jawairiah Noordin will likely be offered the sole wild card in the main draw, while the other two are on offer for the qualifying round.

The event is tentatively slotted for sometime between August and September, to coincide with the WTA Bali, China, Japan and Taskent (Uzbekistan) events.

Lawn Tennis Association of Malaysia (LTAM) president Datuk Abdul Razak Latiff said the Malaysia Open will consist of singles and doubles.

The singles will be a draw of 32 players while the doubles has yet to be confirmed.

"The Sports Ministry has given its blessing and we are currently negotiating with the WTA on the best available dates for the event," said Abdul Razak yesterday.

Abdul Razak confirmed that the association have identified the Twin Towers' open car park as the venue.

"However, this is subject to approval from the local authorities. The other option is to host it at Dataran Merdeka."

Abdul Razak said a local qualifying tournament will be organised to choose the three wild cards.

"However, as Jawairiah (Noordin) is almost unbeatable in Malaysia, she is likely to win the tournament to be the sole main draw wild card," said Abdul Razak.

·
Registered
84,690 Posts
:eek: Wow! Good news.:yeah:
Hopefully there's nothing bad happening around that time.:p It'd be great too since it'll be around our 'National Day' month from mid-August to mid-September.

·
Registered
23,552 Posts
What kind of sense is that? Malaysia and tennis? :confused:
But of course they have money there.
:tape:

but great news for me of course.!! top players please come to malaysia i can see you guys!!

the venue sux though....they are not using the tennis courts...buiding courts at car park:mad::help:.... wat is that...dataran merdeka is also another place without tennis court....wat are these ppl thinking

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
How does a 400K tournament fit into the 2009 Roadmap Calendar when all the other second tier events are 220K and the premium tournaments are a minimum 1.0M after the US Open? If the Kuala Lumpur tournament makes it into the calendar, it won't attract players like Serena or Maria because they will most likely be concentrating on Tokyo and Beijing. Seems a strange move but I am all for a tournament in KL. Hopefully, it will be played indoors as it is the wet season from September until December.

·
Registered
84,690 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
hope some big names there!!

so i can travel to KL without spending a lot money :cool:

·
#GloballyEli
16,289 Posts
Wow, a tourney in KL will be fantastic!!! :hearts: :bounce:

·
#GloballyEli
16,289 Posts
Just checked the 2009 calender on the WTA site and I really can't see how it could be fitted in during August....that's when all the American tournaments are on...no one's gonna want to play in Malaysia just before the US Open :tape:

So, I guess it will be during September......then it definately will clash with some of the other Asian tournaments :help:

2009 Calender -->

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/includes/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/global/pdfs/events/2009/TourCalendar.pdf

·
Banned
15,895 Posts
..... with the Petronas Twin Towers as a spectacular backdrop.

A makeshift tennis stadium will be erected at the Twin Towers' open car park specially for the event .....

The singles will be a draw of 32 players while the doubles has yet to be confirmed.

Abdul Razak confirmed that the association have identified the Twin Towers' open car park as the venue.

"However, this is subject to approval from the local authorities. The other option is to host it at Dataran Merdeka."

======================================
Abdul Razak said a local qualifying tournament will be organised to choose the three wild cards.

"However, as Jawairiah (Noordin) is almost unbeatable in Malaysia, she is likely to win the tournament to be the sole main draw wild card," said Abdul Razak.[/QUOTE]

1. The location is very questionable. A makeshift tennis venue in a carpark under the two biggest buildings (in the world?)??

2. I don't get the WC talk - three will be given, but why does Razak say, "... the sole main draw wild card"? Two to qualies and one to MD?

·
#GloballyEli
16,289 Posts

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
sounds awesome :) the Malaysian Lawn Tennis Association made me think this could be a grass tournament, but i think most tennis associations have "lawn" in it just by default. what do you guys think? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts