Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These awards are really a joke ! :devil:
Serena Williams Player of the year 2008 !???
It's a shame... :eek::mad:

Serena won only 1 gran slam in 2008 (as Maria Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic and Venus Williams...)
Serena doesn't finish the year 2008 number 1 (it was Jelena Jankovic).

Why Serena would be the player of the year 2008 ? :eek:

Jelena deserved really this price !
And Venus who won one Gran Slam and the Masters of Doha deserved this price more than Serena !

So... Why has she got the award ?
Perhaps she had this price only because she is american... :fiery:
Thanks Larry Scott :worship:

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Serena got to the wimb final and won Miami as well

but this thread isn't to be taken seriously so :haha:

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Are you smoking crack?

Okay, that was unnecessary, but Serena did have a gold medal (with Vee), won 3 other titles, including the "5th slam" and regained the number 1 ranking after 5 years w/o it. That's just bonkers. ETA: She's the only player who reached two slam finals.

JJ didn't win a slam or need I remind you.

The other person in contention I think was Vee because of the slam and she picked up 2 titles at the end of the year, including YEC.

Ana went away after FO and we're more than aware of Maria's woes.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
They Give Miami an Importance...

:)
Serena became number 1...

the votes may have been
55 Serena
50 Venus
49 Jankovic
48 Ivanovic
47 Maria

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other person in contention I think was Vee because of the slam and she picked up 2 titles at the end of the year, including YEC.
I totally agree... that Venus did a fantastic year !
She deserves the award more than her sister...

So if the official WTA Ranking is a joke (and Jelena don't deserve the award), why is there a ranking ? :lol::tape:

I'm really interested to know who decide to give the awards, and if there is a vote, who are voting...

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I totally agree... that Venus did a fantastic year !
She deserves the award more than her sister...

So if the official WTA Ranking is a joke (and Jelena don't deserve the award), why is there a ranking ? :lol::tape:
I don't think Vee's year was better than Serena's, and therefore no I don't think she deserved it more.
I don't want to keep repeating the same thing but I will b/c I could talk about Serena's accomplishments all day :)

4 titles, 1 GS, 2 GS finals, OG (with Vee), number 1 after five years (although didn't end the year 1) >>>>> than what anyone else did last year

As far as the ranking, you called it a joke not me. JJ should be proud, but she didn't win a slam. If it was say between her and Ana that would be a better argument.

JJ won four titles, finished 1, 1 GS final. Good year, but Safina has four titles on the year as well and a GS final, Ana actually won a GS and was 1 for a minute. Those three are in the same category. Leave Ree out of it. If you want to debate who had the better year between them, we can.

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
The hate is swelling in you now
[/Emperor Palpatine]

:haha:

·
Registered
519 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
hilarious. thanks for the laugh!

·
Registered
26,220 Posts
:rolls: What a dumb opening post!

·
Team WTAworld
6,225 Posts
As far as I know,the WTA annual awards were voted by Both tour players and officials.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,502 Posts
Plain and simple. There wasn't one stand out player of the year for 2008. Whoever they gave it too whether it was Serena or Venus or Jelena or Dinara or Maria or Ana or Elena there would have been arguments. Personally regardless of the rankings, I think Serena probably did just edge it. But no question it was close. Still, what are they going to do? They have to give it to someone and Serena was certainly as good a choice as any.

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
She won Miami, Charleston and reached Wimbledon final.

She also won Wimbledon doubles title and Olympics doubles title too.

And what's your issue with that "just because she is American?" :eek:

Please just shushhh

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
As far as I know,the WTA annual awards were voted by Both tour players and officials.
From the WTA site:

The winners of the annual player awards for Player of the Year, Doubles Team of the Year, Most Improved Player of the Year and Comeback Player of the Year are determined by the global tennis media, with Tour players themselves selecting Tournaments of the Year, Sportsmanship and Player Service award.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
you say that Serena "only" won one grand slam...Jelena won none! and what's more, it was Serena who beat her in her only final! so using this as an argument for Jelena deserving it more is total crap

1 - 20 of 23 Posts