Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
3,777 Posts
Re: 2007 Kim articles, news (non tournament)

Kim's goodbye in Antwerp was chosen moment of the year 2007 by the visiters of the website sport.be!

Afscheid van Kim was hét moment
Elk sportjaar brengt een aantal hoogtepunten. Dit jaar moesten alle topprestaties, hilarische momenten en overwinningen het voor de Sport.be-bezoeker afleggen tegen het emotionele afscheid van Kim Clijsters.
Het afscheid van Kim. (foto belga)Twaalf momenten schotelde de redactie van Sport.be zijn bezoekers voor. Die verkozen het afscheid van Kim Clijsters tot hét moment van 2007. Met 21.55% van de stemmen haalde de ode van Clouseau en het publiek aan Kim het met ruime voorsprong op de kwalificatie van de hockeyers voor Peking en het brons van de 4x100 meter in Osaka (beide 15,17%).

Clijsters nam in het Antwerpse Sportpaleis afscheid van de het Belgische publiek. Ze speelde er haar laatste partij op Belgische bodem en zoals achteraf zou blijken één van de laatste matchen uit haar loopbaan.

Na de verloren finale tegen Amélie Mauresmo werd het ex-nummer één van de wereld uitgebreid in de bloemen gezet. Clouseau bracht een voor Kim aangepaste versie van Domino. "We blijven altijd vriendjes, dus ga en maak maar kindjes", was één van de zinsneden die erg snel zou uitkomen.

Clijsters was tot tranen toe bewogen en wist niet wie ze eerst moest bedanken voor al die mooie momenten die ze in haar carrière mocht beleven. Ouders, grootouders, zus Elke, tornooidirecteur en vriend Bob Verbeeck,...
http://www.sport.be/nl/andere/?Article_ID=254811

·
3,777 Posts
Sarah I moved your article here, we changed year you know :p
ok :) I just thought because it was about last year I put it in the other thread, but indeed, it's news of 2008, sorry :) :angel:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Re: 2007 Kim articles, news (non tournament)

Kim's goodbye in Antwerp was chosen moment of the year 2007 by the visiters of the website sport.be!

Afscheid van Kim was hét moment
Elk sportjaar brengt een aantal hoogtepunten. Dit jaar moesten alle topprestaties, hilarische momenten en overwinningen het voor de Sport.be-bezoeker afleggen tegen het emotionele afscheid van Kim Clijsters.
Het afscheid van Kim. (foto belga)Twaalf momenten schotelde de redactie van Sport.be zijn bezoekers voor. Die verkozen het afscheid van Kim Clijsters tot hét moment van 2007. Met 21.55% van de stemmen haalde de ode van Clouseau en het publiek aan Kim het met ruime voorsprong op de kwalificatie van de hockeyers voor Peking en het brons van de 4x100 meter in Osaka (beide 15,17%).

Clijsters nam in het Antwerpse Sportpaleis afscheid van de het Belgische publiek. Ze speelde er haar laatste partij op Belgische bodem en zoals achteraf zou blijken één van de laatste matchen uit haar loopbaan.

Na de verloren finale tegen Amélie Mauresmo werd het ex-nummer één van de wereld uitgebreid in de bloemen gezet. Clouseau bracht een voor Kim aangepaste versie van Domino. "We blijven altijd vriendjes, dus ga en maak maar kindjes", was één van de zinsneden die erg snel zou uitkomen.

Clijsters was tot tranen toe bewogen en wist niet wie ze eerst moest bedanken voor al die mooie momenten die ze in haar carrière mocht beleven. Ouders, grootouders, zus Elke, tornooidirecteur en vriend Bob Verbeeck,...
http://www.sport.be/nl/andere/?Article_ID=254811

:bounce: awesome!!!! I voted for that moment also! ;) :)

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I personally preferred her match against Jankovic in Sydney. Such a pity I did not see it live but I followed it via the internet, it was a real thriller! Also loved her goodbye speech there and the warm reaction of the audience. It's amazing how Kim managed to win the heart of the Aussies.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Her match in Sydney was indeed the best match I saw all year without a doubt. And not just because Kim won. ;) The quality was outstanding.

But congrats on the award for Kim! She's still in the news. :D

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
An Article on Kim and Martina:

Martina Hingis and Kim Clijsters will be Missed

MUMBAI: One was the prodigy whose Grand Slam wins began from Down Under, the other the daughter they adopted. Martina Hingis and Kim Clijsters have a few things in common.

Both come from sporting families; like Hingis, Kim announced an earlier retirement. And they share a special bond with Australia.

Much loved by the Aussies, they will be the big misses as the 2008 edition of the Australian Open that gets underway on January 14 in Melbourne.

Martina, at one point, owned the tournament. She re-wrote the record books in 1997 when she beat Frenchwoman Mary Pierce in straight sets (6-2 6-2) to win the Australian Open, her first Grand Slam title, in the process becoming the youngest Grand Slam singles winner of the 20th century.

She was only 16 years and 3 months old then.

Her special association with Australia continued and Hingis made it to the final of the tournament six times in a row (from 1997-2002), winning the title three times (1997, 1998 and 1999).

In fact, when she made her comeback into the sport in 2006 after a long hiatus due to injury, she almost strolled to the last eight before losing to ‘Aussie Kim’ (Kim Clijsters) in straight sets. But she still managed to lay her hands on the silverware, winning the mixed doubles title with Mahesh Bhupathi.

The Swiss Miss will now be a no-show in Melbourne, having been banned for two years for testing positive for cocaine use during Wimbledon 2007. She followed the ban with announcing her retirement at the age of 27.

A sad end to a talent, that took the tennis world by storm more than 10 years ago. But Hingis was never the Miss Nice of tennis and courted controversy like no other. There again, she seemed to make all the news at the Australian Open.

On the eve of her 1999 Australian Open final match against Amelie Mauresmo, Hingis told reporters, “She’s here with her girlfriend. She is half-man already.” For that remark, she got a lot of flak but the title was once again hers. She even won the doubles title teaming with Russia’s Anna Kournikova.

Kim, never had such a problem. She has often been spoken of as the nicest player on the Tour. In fact, in response to the critics referring to her as too nice, Clijsters once remarked, “You don’t have to hate your opponents to beat them.”

Kim’s love story with Australia actually began with her love story with top Aussie tennis star Lleyton Hewitt. She has even been nicknamed Aussie Kim.

Since then, the Aussies have supported Kim every time she has played on Australian soil, even after the couple ended their engagement in 2003.

Although she didn’t enjoy Hingis-like success at the tournament, she made four semi-final appearances (2002, 2003, 2006 and 2007) and reached the final in 2004 where she lost to her Belgian countrywoman Justine Henin in a hard-fought three setter.

In her last appearance at the Australian Open in 2007, Kim lost to Maria Sharapova in the semifinal but walked off the court teary-eyed and to a standing ovation. Kim may have only on Grand Slam title (US Open 2005) to her name. But to Australia, she, like Martina, always meant a bit more.

·
3,777 Posts
lovely article! thanks for it :kiss:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Aww. :hearts:
I miss both Kim and Martina. :awww:

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I was searching the internet and somehow fell upon this article. It's a bit old. :lol: But it's a great article.

Clijsters has right genes to fashion bright future
NEW FACES FOR 2000 Belgium's precocious teenager has already revealed outstanding tennis talent among rising generation
By John Roberts
Published: 05 January 2000

At the height of a keenly contested third round match at the United States Open in September last year, Serena Williams and Kim Clijsters stretched each other to the extent that they simultaneously did the splits. "When you're 16 you can get up from doing that," mused Mary Carillo, a CBS television commentator.

At the height of a keenly contested third round match at the United States Open in September last year, Serena Williams and Kim Clijsters stretched each other to the extent that they simultaneously did the splits. "When you're 16 you can get up from doing that," mused Mary Carillo, a CBS television commentator.

After they finished laughing about the cancan, the sturdy youngsters resumed their barrage of shots. Williams won, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5, having recovered from 3-5 in the final set. The American went on to take the title, defeating Martina Hingis in straight sets in the final.

That Williams, aged 17, came closest to losing to Clijsters, her junior by a year, encapsulated the refreshing state of the women's game. At a time when former prodigies who became great players, such as Steffi Graf, Monica Seles and Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, gradually loosen their grip on the sport, a new generation is establishing rivalries.

Hingis, the youngest Grand Slam singles champion of the 20th century (aged 16 at the 1997 Australian Open), finds herself under pressure from the powerful Williams sisters at almost every major event (the effort needed to overcome Venus, 19, in the US Open semi-finals drained Hingis for the final). Other talented teenagers are preparing to challenge.

Clijsters is a good example. Ranked in the 500s when competing in a minor WTA Tour event in Sheffield in November 1998, the determined baseliner rose to No 47 in the world last year and made an impressive Wimbledon debut as a qualifier. Two days before Christmas she was elected Belgium's Sportswoman of the Year by a panel of sports journalists.

In the second round at Wimbledon, where she had been a junior finalist in 1998, Clijsters outplayed Britain's Karen Cross, 6-2, 6-0. Cross, although disappointed, was not surprised. "Kim is the emerging new talent," she said. Underlining the point, Clijsters outmanoeuvred Amanda Coetzer in the third round, defeating the No 12 seed from South Africa, 6-2, 6-4.

As a result of that victory, the posters of Graf which had adorned Clijsters' bedroom walls as a child were brought to life when she played the athletic German in the fourth round. Clijsters found Graf's game difficult to contend with, particularly on the lawns, the seven-times Wimbledon champion winning, 6-2, 6-2. "The honour of being one of the last players to play Steffi is my best memory of 1999," Clijsters said. There was a bonus: "After the match Steffi said to me I played tennis of the future. That meant so much to me."

Graf retired between Wimbledon and the US Open, where Clijsters gave another eye-catching demonstration of her skill and fortitude. "I inherited power and perseverance from my dad," Clijsters said, acknowledging the influence of her father, Leo, a former Belgium international footballer. Had marks been awarded for artistic impression, Kim's execution of the splits would probably have shaded the vote over Serena's. "My suppleness, that's my mother's side," Kim said. Her mother, Els, is a former Belgian national junior gymnastics champion.

Back problems caused Els to abandon gymnastics, but Leo Clijsters had a famous football career as a sweeper, helping Mechelen to win both the European Cup-winners' Cup and the European Super Cup in 1988. That year he was awarded the "Golden Shoe" as Belgium's player of the year, although Kim considered her father looked "ordinary" alongside her favourite, Philippe Albert.

"On the day my dad won the 'Golden Shoe', a baker brought us a shoe made of marzipan," Kim recalled, "and I ate it all myself." Nowadays Kim, 5ft 81/2in and 10st 7lb, pays more attention to her diet, maximising her strength to compensate for her comparative lack of height.

"My thighs are very muscular. People say I have Clijsters' legs - just like my dad. I know that I don't have a body like [Anna] Kournikova, but that's no problem."

Leo, who played 40 times for his country, now coaches Diest, a Belgian Third Division club. Although both he and his wife know what it takes to succeed in sport, they are far from typical tennis parents.

"Dad looks after my money and my contracts, and helps me a lot mentally," Kim said. "He does it very well, because he has a lot of experience in sport. But he doesn't give me advice on tennis. He's not a connoisseur. Dad hardly knows anything about tennis. Just a few years ago when I phoned home to say I wasn't happy with my forehand, dad said, 'Kim, forehand - which side is it?'"

Such details are the province of Kim's coach, Carl Maes, who is trying to improve her first serve and reduce her unforced errors. He finds the best way to motivate Kim on the practice court is to tell her to imitate her favourite player, Patrick Rafter.

Belgium, in contrast to Britain, is blessed with contenders in the women's game. Kim defeated her nation's top two, Sabine Appelmans and Dominique Van Roost, to win her first WTA Tour singles title in Luxembourg, having qualified for the event a week after the US Open. In Bratislava in October, Kim reached her second WTA Tour singles final, losing to Amelie Mauresmo, of France, and won her first WTA Tour doubles title, partnered by a compatriot, Laurence Courtois.

Justine Henin, another promising Belgian, won the Antwerp tournament in May. It was there that Kim Clijsters made her first appearance in a mainstream WTA Tour event, as a "lucky loser". She advanced to the quarter-finals, to be defeated by the top seed, Sarah Pitkowski, after holding match points.

And we must not overlook Kim's 14-year-old sister, Elke. "Technically," Kim said, "Elke is a lot better than I am." With all that Clijsters there may be a thread of gold.

·
Registered
970 Posts
:lol: sweet article! :) It's really nice! That part with Lei asking Kim 'Kim, forehand - which side is it?'" is just hilarious! :haha:

·
Registered
16,569 Posts
From Daniela Hantuchova's AO qtr interview:

Q. How much do you miss Kim Clijsters?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, I've been thinking about her a lot because last year I lost to her here. Now she's expecting baby. She's been such a great friend of mine. I was just so happy the way things worked out for her. She's very, very happy with her family and the baby and stuff.

So, yeah, I'm just very happy for her.

Q. Are you in touch still?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah.

Q. Have you spoken to her during the tournament?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Not during the tournament. But before we texted each other.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts