Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anna has entered Proximus Diamond Games (Antwerp)
Here is Anna's quarter. (Henin is on the other side of the bracket. whew! :) )

Radwanska
Likhovtseva
Cibulkova
Obziler

Tu
qualifer
bye
AChak

·
Registered
461 Posts
(1) Justine Henin (BEL) vs Bye
Anne Kremer (LUX) vs Na Li (CHN)
Qualifier vs Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR)
Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) vs (6)Agnes Szavay (HUN)

(3)Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) vs Bye
Shuai Peng (CHN) vs (WC)Yanina Wickmayer (BEL)
Olga Govortsova (BLR) vs Qualifier
Qualifier vs (7)Alona Bondarenko (UKR)

(5)Sybille Bammer (AUT) vs Yaroslava Shvedova (RUS)
Karin Knapp (ITA) vs Nathalie Dechy (FRA)
(WC)Caroline Maes (BEL) vs Ai Sugiyama (JPN)
Bye vs (4)Patty Schnyder (SUI)

(8)Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) vs Elena Likhovtseva (RUS)
Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) vs Tzipora Obziler (ISR)
Meilen Tu (USA) vs Qualifier
Bye vs (2)Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)

That's a very weak field for a Tier II (contrast it with the last Stuttgart field, for instance). Li and Sugiyama strike me as the only remotely dangerous unseeded players, this really is a glorified tier three. Seeing that Hantuchova and Szavay are on the other side of the draw, Anna is the clear favorite to make the final from the bottom half.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
On the low part of to Draw Anna is the favorite to reach the Final!!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think Anna's draw just got a whole lot better. I have heard a rumour that Radwanska will not be playing Antwerp. :sad: I hope this is not the case as i was looking forward to a match between two of my faves :D

Apparantly, Rawanska is replaced in the seedings by Na Li. Does this mean that she moves into Aga's spot of the draw. Either way, i definately think Chaky can make the final here if she isnt too tired from her matches in Paris this week :worship:

·
chaky yo booty
7,478 Posts
"In the second set I had so many unforced errors. I had problems with my shoulder. Yesterday I called my trainer because of my hip. I guess I'm getting older," said Chakvetadze who said that she was uncertain whether she will be fit to compete in Antwerp next week.
I hope she can play :unsure: The draw is too good for withdrawing!

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
She won't play until Wednesday at the earliest so she can see how it goes. Problem is she's defending SF points so to not play would be a blow to her hopes of overtaking Maria in the rankings.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
If Anna is still feeling sore on monday she should pull out of Antwerp to rest her injuries. She needs to be healthy this year to try to defend her points from last year.

·
Registered
112,700 Posts
Anna said she was going to Antwerp at the awards ceremony. She'll be there

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I want that Anna plays here, she has 3 days of rest.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know Anna was having some soreness in her shoulder, but with proper rest and some treatments over the next couple of days, hopefully she will be already to go for this tournament. It looks like another good draw and she is playing pretty good now too. I'm excited to see Anna go deep into this tournament. :)

·
Registered
112,700 Posts
The first round should be okay.
Na Li in the QF will be difficult.

·
Registered
112,700 Posts
Anna plays Sofia on Thursday

·
Registered
112,700 Posts
Also hoping for success indoors this week is Russian second seed Anna Chakvetadze, winner of the Paris Indoors last weekend.
It was the seventh title in a row for the 20-year-old who stands sixth in the world.
Like Henin and most of the rest of the game's elite, Chakvetadze is also keen to do well in Beijing.
"The Olympics are really important for me. After the French Open I know if I've made the team, we have so many Russian players.
"Of course I want to go to Bejing. I don't see the Olympic Games as something for the individual sportsman, but as an opportunity to win a medal for your country."
The second seed begins on Thursday against Swede Sofia Arvidsson.

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
Chakvetadze: 'Hopefully recovered enough'

Anna Chakvetadze is in good shape. Last week, the Russian won the Paris tournament and she wants to shine at the Proximus Diamond Games as well.

"On Monday I took a day off to rest", the Russian number 6 of the world said. "My week in Paris had been really tough with various three set matches. On Tuesday, I trained a bit to be able to get accustomed to the court. I hope I recovered well. After a win, confidence is always firm."

Chakvetadze has a clear purpose for 2008. "I will have to focus more on the major moments like the Grand Slams. One cannot be performing at a full 100 percent for a whole year."

"I can still improve a lot. My service and return can definitely get better. I also have to play more aggressively and move to the net more."

The Olympics? "They are really important for me. After the French Open I will know whether I can go or not. Of course I want to go to Beijing. It would be my first time. I don't see the Olympic Games as something for the individual sportsman, but as an opportunity to offer your country a medal."

Tiny bit of Anna's press conference: here (Click on Pressconference)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts