Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
29,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of today's players capable of achieving the same?

Discuss

·
Registered
315 Posts

Discuss
no, none are capable, the field is just too deep.

Serena had her chances in 2003 to complete a golden slam and maybe even a - 7 grand-slam winning streak, but that Henin inciedent at the french :mad:

·
Banned
6,444 Posts

Discuss
Nope. Not even close. Players like Steffi don't come around often in the history of the tennis. I would include Navratilova, Court, Evert and Helen Wills-Moody and Maureen Connolly-Brinker in that group (a few others too).

·
Registered
879 Posts

Serena had her chances in 2003 to complete a golden slam and maybe even a - 7 grand-slam winning streak, but that Henin inciedent at the french :mad:
NO. Steffi is unique, there will never be a better player :worship:

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Nope. Not even close. Players like Steffi don't come around often in the history of the tennis. I would include Navratilova, Court, Evert and Helen Wills-Moody and Maureen Connolly-Brinker in that group (a few others too).
So players like that don't come around very often, yet you included players who dominated in the 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's and 30's.

So basically someone capable of doing that come around every ten years, we are due one now then:lol:

I would also include Suzanne Lenglen in that group....

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Henin and Serena are capable of doing it, but they won't.
Venus also is capable of it, but she's too inconsistent and injury prone. Serena and Henin also could, but won't as they would get injured at some point. Both also very injury prone. I think player today are too injury prone period to match some of the achievements of the 80's, i.e. so many Grand Slams in a row, finals in a row, winning streaks etc.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Graf was the best player of all time... Serena might do it but not sure yet... but she also has to win the Olympic Gold to achieve a 'golden' slam... so we'll have to wait till next year ! :)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

There was no Olympics in 2003, How could serena complete a *GOLDEN* slam that year?

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
There was no Olympics in 2003, How could serena complete a *GOLDEN* slam that year?
Serena has never played the Olympics, hopefully she will next year though and achieve the Career Golden Slam :cool:

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
hopefully
Venus..
next year...

·
Banned
145 Posts
None. the competition now is too deep and the game too physical...

but if anybody could do it, Serena would be the one.....

But even then, she gets injured at least once a year, if not more...so no.

·
Registered
730 Posts
if monica won wimbledon in 92 another great achivement

·
Registered
11,022 Posts

Discuss
Thank you for reminding me that I'm old. Darn, it's 20 years now. I was so nervous when she played the US Open final against Gaby Sabatini and I stayed up late to watch it live.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Venus also is capable of it, but she's too inconsistent and injury prone.
I actually don't think she's capable of it. I have a very hard time finding her capable of beating multiple quality clay court players back-to-back-to-back. Injury prone is a viable excuse in the "capable but it won't happen" category, but not inconsistency. If you are too inconsistent, you are not capable. Otherwise, you could say that Kuznetsova is capable of it, or Hingis, or anyone, because hey, they've inevitably played one perfect game/set/match in their career, and so they COULD do it. Consistency is part of what makes you a player, and until Venus shows some, she isn't a Golden Slam winning player.

Actually it's worth pointing out that the only players that have reached the semifinals or better at each slam more than once are Serena, Henin, Hingis, and Clijsters. And while I rank Venus' chances of winning A slam better than Hingis and Clijsters, Justine and Serena are clearly more capable on each surface.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
I actually don't think she's capable of it. I have a very hard time finding her capable of beating multiple quality clay court players back-to-back-to-back. Injury prone is a viable excuse in the "capable but it won't happen" category, but not inconsistency. If you are too inconsistent, you are not capable. Otherwise, you could say that Kuznetsova is capable of it, or Hingis, or anyone, because hey, they've inevitably played one perfect game/set/match in their career, and so they COULD do it. Consistency is part of what makes you a player, and until Venus shows some, she isn't a Golden Slam winning player.

Actually it's worth pointing out that the only players that have reached the semifinals or better at each slam more than once are Serena, Henin, Hingis, and Clijsters. And while I rank Venus' chances of winning A slam better than Hingis and Clijsters, Justine and Serena are clearly more capable on each surface.
Yes that's a fair point.

I still think she COULD do it though, she has the capacity within her.

But the odds are definitely against her due to her inconsistent play at the French. She's only got past the quarter finals once.

Still you never know ;)

Henin is more likely to due her more consistent all surface play, but I don't see anyone doing it next year tbh.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Henin proved last year it can be done by reaching all 4 finals. However, beyond the strength and talent needed to complete a grand slam is the mental toll that the contender must bear. Remember how the pressure was piled on Capriati after she won the french in '01 such that she admitted feeling relief after losing to Henin at Wimbledon. If a player completes 2 legs every match thereafter must feel like do-or-die tennis. That's why I can't see it happening & why Steffi was one of the few that did it - she was mentally strong enough.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts