Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
15,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wimbledon is coming up very soon!

Seeding and Draw Dates
The seeds will be announced on Wednesday 21st June while the Draw will take place on Friday 23rd June at 10.30am.

With the withdrawals of Lindsay and Mary, it looks like Nicole will be the #11 seed. Which is good news because now she won't draw #1-4 in the R16. '

From the thread in GM:

Seeds #9-#12 are put in the Round of 16 bracket with Seeds #5-#8

So as of right now, Nicole could draw Nadia, Svetlana, Elena, or Patty.

·
Registered
15,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't have any high expectations really, especially since Nicole will be coming in not having played a warmup tournament. :shrug:

Hopefully she has a nice draw. I see that Azarenka is gonna be in main draw, maybe Nicole can get some revenge. :devil:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Hope she will do her best,good luck Nicole ;)

·
Registered
13,743 Posts
I hope Nicole can make it to at least the Qtrs, if she gets a good draw, her serve and forehand will be big weopens on Grass court :)

·
Registered
15,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Venus got bumped up, so Nicole could possibly get her..:scared:

5 Nadia Petrova (Rus)
6 Svetlana Kuznetsova (Rus)
7 Venus Williams (USA)
8 Elena Dementieva (Rus)

Too bad Patty isn't seeded 5-8 now. :eek: ;)

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
She'd have great chances vs. Dementieva and Petrova imo.

Good luck Nicole! :yeah: Hopefully you can live up to your seeding! :cool:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Vaidisova said:
Venus got bumped up, so Nicole could possibly get her..:scared:

5 Nadia Petrova (Rus)
6 Svetlana Kuznetsova (Rus)
7 Venus Williams (USA)
8 Elena Dementieva (Rus)

Too bad Patty isn't seeded 5-8 now. :eek: ;)
oh no,not Venus,please GOD!!!! :sad:

·
Registered
15,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a little mention in a Reuters article

PREVIEW-Wimbledon-No clear favourite in women's singles

VAIDISOVA THREAT

If power is everything, the Russians have it in abundance. Fourth seed Maria Sharapova heads their challenge at the grand slam that is dearest to her heart following her 2004 triumph.

She, though, was the victim of a shock semi-final defeat at the Edgbaston warmup event last week by American Jamea Jackson.

Should Sharapova fail, fifth seed Nadia Petrova and French Open finalist Svetlana Kuznetsova, the number six, both have the enough muscle to at least match their runs to the last eight in 2005.

So too does Vaidisova, the striking 17-year-old Czech who eventually lost to Kuznetsova in the semi-finals of the French Open. With her heavy serve and vicious groundstrokes, the teenager is likely to be even more dangerous on grass.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage2

·
Registered
83 Posts
I absolutely love Nic and at last have someone other than Justine to cheer for. I will settle for nothing less than that Nic is gonna kill em all - THE SOONER THE BETTER! :smash:

So Wimbledon, watch out!!!

·
Registered
15,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From BBC Sport - Women To Watch (as posted in GM)

NICOLE VAIDISOVA
Odds: 10/1

Full name - Nicole Vaidisova.

Also known as - None as yet, but expect the British tabloids to have a field day. We'll start the ball rolling with the simple but effective 'Czech Mate'.

Wimbledon high - Reached the last 32 last year on her debut, narrowly losing to the much higher-ranked Svetlana Kuznetsova in three sets.

Wimbledon low - None.

Gruntometer - Second only to Sharapova at Wimbledon last year. She hit 85.4 decibels - equivalent, apparently, to a petrol-driven lawn mower. :scratch::lol:

In her own words - "I am always excited to play on grass because there is so much history and so many traditions associated with it. Being born in Germany, Steffi Graf was always my idol and my inspiration."

Need to know - Vaidisova had to get over the disappointment of her French Open semi-final defeat quickly - she had to take exams at a business school in Prague shortly afterwards.

Grass rating - 7/10

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5086960.stm#vaidisova

·
Registered
397 Posts
Haha! :lol: I read that earlier.. interesting grunting scale!

Nicole has beaten Venus before, and besides, it would be nice to see her take out the defending champion.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Nadia petrova is out of Winbledon,so,if i do any mystakes, Vaidisova become top seed number 10 :eek: :worship: she doesn't face venus :bounce:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
1 Amelie MAURESMO (FRA) 5 Svetlana KUZNETSOVA (RUS)
2 Kim CLIJSTERS (BEL) 6 Venus WILLIAMS (USA)3 Justine HENIN-HARDENNE (BEL) 7 Elena DEMENTIEVA (RUS)
4 Maria SHARAPOVA (RUS) 8 Patty SCHNYDER (SUI)
13 Anna-Lena GROENEFELD (GER) 9 Anastasia MYSKINA (RUS)
14 Dinara SAFINA (RUS) 10 Nicole VAIDISOVA (CZE)15 Daniela HANTUCHOVA (SVK) 11 Francesca SCHIAVONE (ITA)
16 Flavia PENNETTA (ITA) 12 Martina HINGIS (SUI)
25 Elena LIKHOVTSEVA (RUS) 17 Maria KIRILENKO (RUS)
26 Jelena JANKOVIC (SCG) 18 Ai SUGIYAMA (JPN)
27 Na LI (CHN) 19 Ana IVANOVIC (SCG)
28 Sofia ARVIDSSON (SWE) 20 Shahar PEER (ISR)
29 Tatiana GOLOVIN (FRA) 21 Katarina SREBOTNIK (SLO)
30 Anna CHAKVETADZE (RUS) 22 Nathalie DECHY (FRA)
31 Gisela DULKO (ARG) 23 Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES (ESP)
32 Mara SANTANGELO (ITA) 24 Marion BARTOLI (FRA)

So bad,look the draw of nicole :eek: it's will be very hard for her

·
Registered
15,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is just a list of the seeds. :)

Looks like Nicole drew Sveta... And she's in the bottom half, the top half has Amelie, Maria, and Venus.:eek:

1 - 20 of 166 Posts