Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tennis-Open-Henin-Hardenne full value for U.S. Open win

By Steve Keating

NEW YORK, Sept 6 (Reuters) - Since the U.S. Open began a fortnight ago, talk was the final grand slam of the season had been devalued by the absence of the injured Williams sisters, who had made the title their property in the last four years.

But a priceless effort by Justine Henin-Hardenne, who lifted the silverware behind a pair of courageous and sublime performances proved that heart and grit might be the currency to trade against the brute power of the American siblings.

An indomitable Henin-Hardenne pummelled Belgian compatriot Kim Clijsters 7-5 6-1 to lift the title on Saturday and cap one of the most remarkable recoveries in grand slam history.

Laid out on the Flushing Meadows infirmary with a drip in her arm following her three-hour, three-set epic semi-final win over American Jennifer Capriati 24-hours earlier, Henin-Hardenne returned to the court and produced a storming effort to claim her second grand slam of the season.

So impressive was Henin-Hardenne's performance that it very nearly exorcised any lingering thoughts of the Williams sisters from Flushing Meadows.

Certainly, the sisters were not on the new champion's mind after taking the title Serena won a year ago and adding it the French Open title she lifted from the younger Williams trophy cabinet in June.

"I really don't think about the Williams sisters right now," Henin-Hardenne said, her bravery rewarded with $1 million winner's cheque.

"They've dominated the tour for so long and they're still great champions ... both of them.

"Unfortunately they are injured right now so it is bad for the tour, it's bad for them an all the players.

"I don't know if they have to worry ... I hope so."

SUBLIME PERFORMANCES

Whether Henin-Hardenne's grand slam success has sent a ripple of fear through the Williams household is uncertain but the sisters, like everyone else, would have to be impressed with the delicate Belgium's sublime performances in New York.

While Henin-Hardenne lacks the physical presence of the Williams and other power hitters proliferating through the women's game, she confirmed that the heart of champion, a gritty temperament and confidence could also get the job done.

"Maybe I arrived a little later that some other players but winning two grand slams at 21, I think, is great," she said.

"It gives me a lot of confidence for the rest of my career.

"I'm still very young and I want to play for a long time.

"It's true that in the last few months I have been very consistent. I played unbelievable tennis and finished the matches I had to finish.

"I'm feeling very strong right now and think the other players can feel it too."

09/07/03 00:09 ET

Copyright 2003 Reuters Limited.

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Justine is definitely very strong right now, in both her game and her mental frame.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But what should the sisters be afraid of? I think it is the other way around. Venus is ranked number six now and could face those ranked above her in a quarterfinal of a top tier tournament and beat them (except for Serena, perhaps). Serena is ranked behind Justine and Kim and has winning records against both and will gain bonus points when she beats them in any tournament.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Williams sisters have nothing to worry about... yea Justine won the open, but the winners of the last 4 US OPEN werent there. If she beat either Venus or Serena winning then maybe the williams should be worried. Kim should be worried coz lately Justine is dominating her...

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
:rolleyes:

Q. After this display, I mean, do you think the Williams sisters have something to worry about now?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Really don't think about the Williams sisters right now because, you know, they dominated the tour for so long and they're still very ‑‑ I mean, they're great champions, both of them.

Unfortunately, they injured right now so it's bad for the tour ‑ it's bad for them and for all the players.

But I don't know if they can ‑‑ if they have to worry about that. I hope so (smiling).

And, you know, I think everybody hopes that they gonna come back on the tour very soon, because we want all the players, all the top ones, and we will see.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that and you know that, but one would think by now that Justine would be smart enough to figure out that reporters try to start things between the sisters and the other players on the tour in the media. Martina Hingis fell for this trap too and honestly, not to offend anyone, but lack of edcuation and knowing how to deal with the media ends up with articles like this. Notice that players who are high school educated don't fall for this.

·
Registered
407 Posts
There is nothing wrong with what Justine said in the interview. You are the one who is saying Justine said things that she didn't. (Look at the title you gave this thread and compare it with the real title and what was actually said)

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I am sure that if VENUS or SERENA had made same statement as JHH, it would be called a "joke" as well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Oh puuuhlease Lizchris!

The title of the thread is sooooooooo lame and deceiving. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"But I don't know if they can ‑‑ if they have to worry about that. I hope so (smiling)."

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
justine has only ever beaten either of the williams sisters on clay. venus has a 7-1 record over justine, serena has a 5-3 record over justine but besides on clay justine has never taken serena to 3 sets. venus on the other hand was taken to 3 sets on grass and hardcourt (venus' best 2 surfaces and it was in 2001 when venus was playing well).

serena besides on clay will still be dominate over justine, it might not be quite as easy as before but she will still be dominant. venus however i think may have more trouble with justine. but since justine hasn't beaten either on anything but clay then there's nothing to really get worked up about yet. in other words we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Gowza said:
justine has only ever beaten either of the williams sisters on clay. venus has a 7-1 record over justine, serena has a 5-3 record over justine but besides on clay justine has never taken serena to 3 sets. venus on the other hand was taken to 3 sets on grass and hardcourt (venus' best 2 surfaces and it was in 2001 when venus was playing well).

serena besides on clay will still be dominate over justine, it might not be quite as easy as before but she will still be dominant. venus however i think may have more trouble with justine. but since justine hasn't beaten either on anything but clay then there's nothing to really get worked up about yet. in other words we'll have to wait and see.
This is where i disagree. Justine in an interview ealier this year when she had defeated Serena was asked did she think she could really take it to both sisters and her reply was that they are completly different players for her. The fact that Venus shows no emotion on court and the way in which she plays her bothers her.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TeeRexx said:
I am sure that if VENUS or SERENA had made same statement as JHH, it would be called a "joke" as well. :rolleyes:
Not only would it not be considered a joke, others on this board who are cirtical of them would have call the statement arrogant.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
596 Posts
lizchris said:
Not only would it not be considered a joke, others on this board who are cirtical of them would have call the statement arrogant.
As Deuce said :
Oh puuuhlease Lizchris!

The title of the thread is sooooooooo lame and deceiving.

"But I don't know if they can ‑‑ if they have to worry about that. I hope so (smiling)."

:wavey:

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
slydevil6142 said:
This is where i disagree. Justine in an interview ealier this year when she had defeated Serena was asked did she think she could really take it to both sisters and her reply was that they are completly different players for her. The fact that Venus shows no emotion on court and the way in which she plays her bothers her.
Thank You!

Justine I think has a better chance against Serena because at times Serena can let her emotions and the crowd get the best of her. This is something Justine can play on and try to possible exploit to help her in tough matches against Serena. Something she herself says she has to work on.

Venus on the other hand is so introverted to the point that many times she meets winning a point with the same expression as losing a point.
Venus gives you nothing, Justine has nothing to play on, she can't read Venus' emotions so she knows when she might have a window of opportunity. Also, I think Venus' game throws her and many off, she can make a slew of errors and turn around and hit dazzling winners.
That's why Mary Carillo always talks about how well Venus Williams competes.

I think it will be interestiing when V&S return.
Funny thing, I think Venus has an aura of invincibility almost when it comes to playing top players(Serena the exception) that doesn't seem to be there always when playing lower ranked players. And the opposite for Serena(though Justine has beaten her twice in the past two years during her dominance).

IMO, Venus' emotions only surface more as of late against Serena.
And it is more negative body language than anything.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Schalckske said:
As Deuce said :

:wavey:
So what's your point?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Let's wait and see if Williamses are even brave enough to make the comeback ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts