·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
US Open Sets Records in First Week
Sunday, August 31, 2003

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2003-08-31/200308311062369934196.html

Attendance and Website Traffic at All-Time Highs

FLUSHING, N.Y., August 31, 2003 – The USTA announced that the first week of the 2003 US Open set records in attendance and traffic on usopen.org, the official website of the 2003 US Open. The following lists the new records set through Sunday night:

Attendance:

The all-time attendance record of 381,891 for the first week of the US Open (The 14 sessions from Monday, August 25 through Sunday, August 31).
The single session attendance record was set today, Sunday, August 31, with 34,717 for the day session.
The single total day attendance record was broken today, Sunday, August 31, 2003, with 57,862.
The single session attendance record was set and then broken in four consecutive sessions from Thursday, August 28, through Sunday, August 31.

First week traffic on usopen.org, the official tournament website, has increased by nearly 20% over 2002 numbers (5.6 million visits through the first week of the 2003 tournament vs. 4.7 million through the first seven days of the 2002 tournament).
Fans are remaining on the site for a longer period compared to years past. Length of stay is up nearly five minutes during the first week to one hour 17 minutes up from one hour 12 minutes in 2002, a 7% increase.
The USTA is the national governing body for the sport of tennis in the U.S. It owns and operates the US Open, the largest annually attended sporting event in the world. In addition, it owns the 96 Pro Circuit events throughout the U.S., and selects the teams for the Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Olympic and Paralympic Games. A not-for-profit organization with more than 670,000 members, it invests 100% of its proceeds to promote and develop the growth of tennis, from the grass roots to the professional levels. For more information on the USTA, log on to usta.com.

·
Registered
851 Posts
:bounce: Venus and Serena aren't there, but still, at least this shows that tennis isn't all about the sisters. Still, I'm sad that Serena isn't back to defend her title :(

·
Chionophile
40,184 Posts
DA BACKHAND said:
People buy their tickets in advance so even if all the top 20 would withdraw yes maybe they wouldn't break attendance records but it would still be decent.

There are more than 1000 matchs being played, of course it's not about only 1 or 2 players no matter how popular they are.
Yes but not ALL tickets were bought advanced right?

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
this is the US OPEN not the WIlliams sisters invitational people. stop trying to explain away the great success despite the absence of the sisters sledgehammer. many people probably find it refreshing to see someone else in the spotlight.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Great to hear!!

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
treufreund said:
this is the US OPEN not the WIlliams sisters invitational people. stop trying to explain away the great success despite the absence of the sisters sledgehammer. many people probably find it refreshing to see someone else in the spotlight.
hmm...well, let's see if it transfers into ratings.
Since everything else is going so well,
only one more avenue to conquer. ;)

I didn't know that something becomes "refreshing"
when the top two players are out. I guess if you can't beat them
having them out of the way is the next best thing. :angel:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
36,726 Posts
Kabuke said:
hmm...well, let's see if it transfers into ratings.
Since everything else is going so well,
only one more avenue to conquer. ;)

I didn't know that something becomes "refreshing"
when the top two players are out. I guess if you can't beat them
having them out of the way is the next best thing. :angel:
Justine vs Serena 2-1 in 2003 can't beat them?

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
per4ever said:
Justine vs Serena 2-1 in 2003 can't beat them?
Nope, can't beat them.
Her, not them.

Justine vs Venus 0-1 in 2003
Kim vs Venus 0-2 in 2003

Kim v Serena 0-3 in 2003

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Im pleased that the sisters absence has not hurt the sisters the way people where saying it was going to, hey it could be up because opf the mens, but all the womens matches seem to be getting great turnouts as well. I mean I saw clips of the Tammy/Amelie match which had a a good audience.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
I'll bet the website is up 20% because of those of us who frequent this board. :)

If they had any sense (which they don't :( ) the powers that be would spend a great deal of time here and learn how to market the sport better. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Most of the stadium tickets were sold prior to the start of the tournament...the numbers are deceiving because they had more tickets to sell than last year given the fact that thed added almost a thousand seats to GS and took a big portion of LA for sale...also, they are selling more grounds passes than last year...

They are also leeking info about all the celebs that are requesting tickets, but they fail to add that they raged an all out effort to get those celebs here...its not like most of those celebs called up on their own...

Beware of the power of SPIN ;)

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
whiteplains said:
Most of the stadium tickets were sold prior to the start of the tournament...the numbers are deceiving because they had more tickets to sell than last year given the fact that thed added almost a thousand seats to GS and took a big portion of LA for sale...also, they are selling more grounds passes than last year...

They are also leeking info about all the celebs that are requesting tickets, but they fail to add that they raged an all out effort to get those celebs here...its not like most of those celebs called up on their own...

Beware of the power of SPIN ;)
I forgot about the Grandstand stadium.

You seem to know more than the average poster about what is going on at the USO. Are you some insider (I know the USTA is bsed in White Plains, NY, hence your name)?

·
Banned
5,055 Posts
Tratree said:
I was under the impression that attendance records were how many people ATTENDED that day, i.e. how many people came through the gates, not how many tickets were sold previously. Am I wrong?
Given the price of the tickets I don't really see the difference ;) I'm sure all people with tickets will show up even when their fave is not on the draw anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.