Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, of all who played, who more exceeded expectations?

The more remaining players are certainly exactly who most expected. They've MET expectations, but no more than that.

Safina came into the tournament ranked #71. That's the main draw, but it computes to a first round knockout. Instead, Safina pushed through to the fourth round. Certainly her opposition ws pedestrian.

1r Carly Gullickson
2r Ludmila Cervanova
3r Claudine Schaul

Until she face JH2, a match in which she was non-competitive.

But she's only 17. I think she wins the 'making the most of her opportunity award', for this year. at least til we officially have a non-Williams champ.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Dinara did great but as you said her opposition wasnt very tough, which makes her 4th Rd appearance expected, as she was expected to beat all those players.
I think the one who most exceeded expectations was Claudine Schaul. She came in with a ranking of #100. No one expected her to beat Pistolesi, who'd been playing very well, and then back it up with a win against Reeves, making it to the 3rd Rd in her first GS main draw.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I watched her match with Gullickson and Carly served for the first set, but it was mentally downhill from there. Could have been Carly that got that far :sad: Safina is a pretty good player and I expect to hear from her again.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Hi,

Safina, Dinara (RUS) in drawing with poor play. Who be in this players? Schual (LUX), BOVINA (RUS). SUCKED and LOSTED!

Greeting and Salutating,

Wong Ching (SRI LANKA)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Paola Suarez definately exceeded expectations. Safina beat a couple of crap players, while Suarez defeated a few players we didn't think she could. On hard court of all surfaces.

·
Registered
44 Posts
16 year old Maria Kirilenko also made an impression. She came into the Open ranked 170, qualified and made it to the 3rd round before going out to Amelie.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
I like Dinara, but I think Maria Kirilenko was the one to give props to... she WAS really competitive against Amelie.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes, I think Maria Kirilenko was the real breakthrough of the tournament.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts